Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best steak for 3-gun?

All this talk of belts and holsters got me thinking about leather, which got me thinking about cows....

The best steak I've had while shooting was cooked by Benny Hill himself! He told me the secret is butter! (and 11 different gunsmithing herbs and spices)

Texas Roadhouse & Outback have always been consistently good;

The now defunct Midwest 3-gun match was always good for an excellent steak @ WJ's in Booneville.

The most pretentious steak I've ever had was long ago at SHOT; a place called Envy. Kurt, Zak Smith, Kelly Neal and I sat down for an over $500 tab for the four of us. The waiter brought out several different SALTS on a tray just as they brought the steaks and proceeded to explain each one in detail; we waited patiently, and then Kurt reached out as if to try some, grabbed the regular shaker on the table, sprinkled a little on the steak and said "this will be fine".

The pretentiousness went down a notch (and it was too late to spit in our food).

So what say the hive? Best steak and where.....

ericm

I'll be the first to say,

I've never had what I would call an EXCELLENT steak, 95% of them whatever size you cut with the knife is the size you swallow :sick:

Seems the higher the price the worse it is.(never paid over $35.00 for one)

I've had some that TASTED great, just didn't chew very well.

I'll take a pork chop/pork steak anyday

:ph34r:

Been to Flemmings, several times.

Great steaks and a great dining experience, along with a great dessert experience, top of the line, bar none.

The wait staff, as part of their waiter training, have to spend 2 weeks learning about steaks, out at the ranch where the steaks come from.

Pretty cool.

I've had so many great ones it's hard to pin it down.

One of the most memorable was at the San Luis Steakhouse in Galveston, TX. Company sponsored dinner. :) It was the first time I ordered it "Black & Blue" or as one of my dinner companions called it "Pittsburgh Rare". It was a filet mignon IIRC.

Ruth's Chris never disappoints but for the $$$$ it shouldn't.

Houston's, which has about 40 locations across the US, is as good as it gets. And for ToothnNail, they usually have a pork chop that is outstanding as well.

I'll be the first to say,

I've never had what I would call an EXCELLENT steak, 95% of them whatever size you cut with the knife is the size you swallow :sick:

Seems the higher the price the worse it is.(never paid over $35.00 for one)

I've had some that TASTED great, just didn't chew very well.

I'll take a pork chop/pork steak anyday

:ph34r:

That's because your doing it wrong. Cooking good beef ruins it.

I never order steaks out because I'm always disappointed that it isn't as good as I can make at home. There are 2 methods that I use. The first is over lump charcoal with the fire almost touching the steak and the fire roaring. I add cherry wood for the added flavor. Not enough to get in the way of the flavor of the charred steak, but enough to act like a "spice". My favorite that way is a black and blue ribeye. Yes, butter helps the flavor, and helps the smoke to stick.

The second way is to Sous Vide the steak @ 129°F then either finish it off with a butane torch after treating it with a brush on mixture of sodium bicarb' and dextrose. Or finished off over lump charcoal as above. Our favorites so far for that is a flap, skirt, or flank steak or Flat Iron. But the steak for it should lack marbling as the sputtering fat gets in the way of the torch work.

I've had a number of steak haters eat one of those and they can't stop eating.

Talking just the steak itself, I personally go for a medium cooked rib-eye.

As for restaurants, Outback gets my vote for a chain restaurant. The best steak I've had bar-none was at Greg Normans Grill in Myrtle Beach.

Best steak I ever had was at the little restaurant at the stockyards in Amarillo Texas. 22oz porterhouse cooked to perfection with all the trimmings for lunch. Banana pudding was to die for. I think the whole thing was less than $15 with a solid tip.

The last post reminds me of the time I took my cousin with me to sell livestock at a sale barn. They had a huge bowl of chili for a buck. It was really good. He ordered one as well. We were sitting there eating it. He asks me how they can sell this much chili so cheap? I look him straight in the eye and tell him anything that dies in the back pens before it gets back on the truck goes in it. I thought he was going to throw up on the spot! I chuckled the whole way home.

Edited by bmiller