Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on aluminum frame and steel slide

For a shooter, not a safe queen. Aluminum and steel seems like it would wear very rapidly. I'm looking for a good carry commander size 1911 in 9mm. I had a Kimber cdp pro .45 and wasn't impressed. Opinions welcomed. Thanks!

I would like to see Ruger make such an animal. I currently carry a officer size .45 but want a 9.

Thanks again

With the right aluminum and proper lubrication it should last forever. If engines with aluminum pistons and steel/iron sleeved cylinders can last hundreds of thousands of miles running at thousands of RPMs, why wouldn't a aluminum frame gun last? But if the correct aluminum isn't used then it won't last long.

If "Shooter" means you will carry it and occasionally practice with it, maybe even a take a class or two, the right aluminum should be fine.

If what you mean is it will get shot 10s of thousands of rounds as an IDPA competition gun, shot weekly, and be a high volume pistol for shooting classes, I'd go with steel. But that's me.

With the right aluminum and proper lubrication it should last forever. If engines with aluminum pistons and steel/iron sleeved cylinders can last hundreds of thousands of miles running at thousands of RPMs, why wouldn't a aluminum frame gun last? But if the correct aluminum isn't used then it won't last long.

Ummmm, those aluminum pistons have steel piston rings making the contact, so there's no aluminum-on-steel contact with moving parts. Right?

Check out the Springfield EMP and their newer EMP Lightweight 4" both in 9mm. The EMP has been around longer and is more proven. The 4' is newer and I haven't heard anyone comment about them.

FWIW

Richard

Picked up the 4 inch emp9mm today. I looked a t a Colt as well but the Springfield had fiber sights and a ramped barrel. I wanted a daily carry in 9mm with the option to shoot as much as I wanted without worrying about the life span of a aluminum frame. I shoot 2000 rounds per month through my competition pistols and may give this little commander a go just to break the menotmny.

I shot a USPSA shooter's gun like that once. I guess he had it for fun or carry. It had an aluminum Essex frame and Caspian slide I think. In 9mm. Sweetest gun I've ever shot.

Daniel’s pistol is an STI 5” Eagle slide with a Tactical Lite 4.0 frame with a bushing barrel, chambered in .38 Super Comp, and shoots 2.5” groups at 50 yards. The .38 Super Comp stacks better in high capacity magazines due to the straight-wall casing and rimless design. Daniel has been shooting the same pistol for the past 11 years and it has over 400,000 rounds through the same slide and frame; it is the definition of dependable.

400,000 rounds is a lot. I think that a quality aluminum frame should probably last. I of course can't confirm that if that number is true or not, but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

http://proofresearch.com/newsletter/the-easy-answer-to-guns-for-3-gun/

Ummmm, those aluminum pistons have steel piston rings making the contact, so there's no aluminum-on-steel contact with moving parts. Right?

Cylinders are bored and honed to the size of the piston with room left for expansion. Rings are there to hold oil and compression and keep gasses from getting into the lower end of the motor. Pistons do not "ride" on the ring, the rings are there for the reasons I just stated. The pistons do ride on the entire length of the aluminum from the head to the skirt.

Edited by scottlep

ARs have aluminum uppers with steel bolt carriers flying around in them and they seem to last, I think it will be fine. Also aren't Berettas aluminum framed, or are they some strange alloy?

ARs have aluminum uppers with steel bolt carriers flying around in them and they seem to last, I think it will be fine. Also aren't Berettas aluminum framed, or are they some strange alloy?

Yes on both accounts. And on both accounts, they do have a service life.

It just happens to be very long.

Ben shot his Elite II's until they were pretty much busted. AR's with reaaalllly high round counts (and generally if they have undergone sustained full auto, from what I've heard) can start to oval out the pin holes. But that would probably happen regardless of the receiver, I would guess.

As with automobile engines, proper maintenance will extend the service life of anything mechanical, however, nothing lasts forever. But, you can always rebuild or replace so don't waste your time obsessing over something that already has a solution.

The internal combustion engine analogy is not a fair comparison to firearms. Engine moving parts are lubricated under pressure or submersed or splashed by an oil bath. When is the last time you found a firearm lubricated that way? Not trying to be a wise guy but the answer comes down to the OPs question in two word's "film strength". This term measures a lubricants ability to keep two sliding or rotating surfaces separated by a thin film of oil. Theoretically, {IF} the correct oil is used, then two surfaces will never come into contact with each other. If you use a lubricant with poor film strength, for the application, then you can expect wear of one or both surfaces. If the film strength is high enough for the application then the surfaces will never contact each other and wear would never occur. Of course this doesn't factor in outside contaminates that may degrade the lubricant's ability to do its job such as water, dust, carbon fouling, etc...

I picked up and EMP4 yesterday. I cleaned and lube it (slide glide where needed). Ran 500 rounds thru in a 3 hour range session. Broke it down, no wear I can see, everything locks up nice and tight. Next week it will get another 500 round run thru it shooting some fun matches. Only one malfunction, slide failed to lock back at the end of the first mag. Once it hits 2000 runs it will going in to my carry rotation.

I think this one will hold up well.

Edited by Sleddog30

The internal combustion engine analogy is not a fair comparison to firearms. Engine moving parts are lubricated under pressure or submersed or splashed by an oil bath. When is the last time you found a firearm lubricated that way? Not trying to be a wise guy but the answer comes down to the OPs question in two word's "film strength". This term measures a lubricants ability to keep two sliding or rotating surfaces separated by a thin film of oil. Theoretically, {IF} the correct oil is used, then two surfaces will never come into contact with each other. If you use a lubricant with poor film strength, for the application, then you can expect wear of one or both surfaces. If the film strength is high enough for the application then the surfaces will never contact each other and wear would never occur. Of course this doesn't factor in outside contaminates that may degrade the lubricant's ability to do its job such as water, dust, carbon fouling, etc...

Your logic is spot on!!!

Would using an accu rail on the aluminum frame eliminate any concerns regarding wear with the slide? Would using an accu rail create any other issues?

Sent while driving 80 mph, eating a cheeseburger and using my knee to steer.

1st impression. The emp4 is very slim and comfortable to carry. I have large hands and it still feels great. From the box I cleaned and checked the trigger. Exactly a very crisp 4.5 lbs.

range report... Has very little muzzle rise (9mm). Very easy to shoot. It was grouping slightly left but easily adjusted and was grouping 2 inches unsupported at 15 yards.

Tore it apart and polished up the mim parts to a mirror finish and retested the trigger. Consistent 3.5 lbs.

After owning over 20 1911's over the years I have to say it is my all time favorite. Worth every penny.