Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on aluminum frame and steel slide

With the right aluminum and proper lubrication it should last forever. If engines with aluminum pistons and steel/iron sleeved cylinders can last hundreds of thousands of miles running at thousands of RPMs, why wouldn't a aluminum frame gun last? But if the correct aluminum isn't used then it won't last long.

Ummmm, those aluminum pistons have steel piston rings making the contact, so there's no aluminum-on-steel contact with moving parts. Right?
Most cars are backwards: aluminum blocks and steel pistons.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

What kind of warranty does Springfield offer? Does it cover wearing out the aluminum frame in normal usage, if taken care of normally? I seem to remember a lifetime warranty but that was back in late 1980s.

They still offer a lifetime warranty on their guns but you better get wallet out to pay for all that ammo. My carry only has about 16k through it but the LW Champion I traded my neighbor is closing in on 65k without any appreciable frame wear. Even if they didn't warranty it the cost of a new frame is small compared to the cost of all that ammo.

• 4 weeks later...

On an Aluminum frame I would make sure it has a Stainless slide. Stainless Steel and Aluminum are "like" metals. Carbon steel and aluminum do not like each other and may cause galvanic corrosion as a steel bolt in an aluminum housing.

A well finished slides rails will have minimal wear to the opposing side or frame rails. Friction between different types of metals also follows in line with "like" metals. Stainless slide with finished rails on an aluminum frame is like glass in operation. Same fit and finish on rails of a carbon steel slide may show signs of galling in some extreme use without additional lube. I am talking raw unfinished materials, but finishes and coatings do wear off.

the type of Aluminum material used also make a huge difference. 7075 aluminum is very durable compared to softer 6061. 7075 has a high tensile strength comparable to some steels.

Grain structure of aluminum and steel are not similar and comparing each in forged or cast form is not the same for aluminum or steel in comparison.

I have several 7075 machined aluminum framed guns with stainless steel slides and have no complaints. But nothing with over 20K round count yet.

Lighter aluminum frames will have more recoil arch than a heavier steel or stainless steel frame.

• 4 years later...
On 4/28/2016 at 9:05 AM, Alan550 said:

Ummmm, those aluminum pistons have steel piston rings making the contact, so there's no aluminum-on-steel contact with moving parts. Right?

The lifter bored are aluminum against steel in most aluminum pushrod v8 engines, usually see slight wear around 100k miles. As long as you properly fit the slide and lap it in shouldn't have any issues as long as you regularly clean and oil

Caspian produces great alum. frames.  Accurails is a good option, give Doug a call, he would know best.  I have a Kimber that I built for my children, but it is of coarse all alum.

On 6/7/2016 at 8:53 PM, vwpieces said:

On an Aluminum frame I would make sure it has a Stainless slide. Stainless Steel and Aluminum are "like" metals. Carbon steel and aluminum do not like each other and may cause galvanic corrosion as a steel bolt in an aluminum housing.

its odd that I have not heard this as a problem with the multitude of aluminum framed 1911s, Berettas and Sigs on the market with aluminum frames and blued slides

Not 1911's but CZ has been making the P01 (aluminum frame 9MM) for almost 20 years.

Never heard much about excessive frame wear or frame cracking.  People love them.

They also make a PCR (CZ75BD type compact with an aluminum frame, also in 9MM).  Again, don't see complaints about frame issues with those either.

Not saying you should buy a CZ 9MM, saying there are aluminum framed/steel slide pistols that have been made/sold/used for years with no excessive wear complaints.  Keep it clean/lubed and it should keep running if it was designed/built correctly.

Sig, Beretta, Ruger, and any number of other companies make aluminum frame pistols almost exclusively, and they have no durability issues that I'm aware of. 

Is steel more durable? Yes, I won't argue that point, but does a 1911, especially one chambered in 9mm going to work the frame harder than a Sig 229, Beretta 92FS, or Ruger P89?

On a 1911, as long as it's a ramped barrel, I can't imagine there'd be any issues. 

Unless I'm wrong...