Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Razor HD vs. Strike Eagle, how much better?

louu

I have the Strike Eagle now and it's my first real scope, I'm pretty happy with it. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Razor HD? Anyone have experience with both?

The only thing I don't like about the Strike Eagle is in some positions I have a little trouble getting the exact right cheek weld and eye relief for the proper sight picture. Is that kind of stuff the same on both scopes?

Also sometimes it seems a little blurry.

There is less difference between the Vipers and the Razors but the Strike Eagle is very nice for the money. The Eagles eye box is close to the others so position will not be that much better. Clarity and brighter picture is what you get with the others.

If you are new to the AR and or gun games, I would spend money on ammo and training and get better glass when everything else catches up.

Your stock is the reason for eye relief issues. Especially when prone. Set your scope while prone as your head position is not so movable as it is while standing.

I used to follow this logic, but then I realized 92.7% of my rifle shooting is offhand at paper targets, so I set my scope up to match the stance that gives me the best control for quick shooting. I make do for the rest of the positions.

I have had a stroke eagle and razor hd2. I love my razor hd2. Works great and the small moa dot is way better for me than the big red circle of the strike eagle. It's up to you on what u want to spend. I wanted it so I bought it. But there is no reason u can't get by with the strike eagle for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two different optics for two different budgets. If you like nice optics, you'll like the Razor. If you've never shot a high end optic and you're really used to lower-end optics, you might really like the Strike Eagle. I must be snobby because I didn't find anything I liked about the Strike Eagle - color wasn't great, visible distortion, eyebox wasn't huge, etc.

Optically not even close. The Razor is on an entire different planet. Owned two Strike Eagles and they never made it past the first range day before they moved on down the road. Im happy with my Razor but think the Burris XTRII is a better value.

For me, the only thing that really separates the two scopes regarding shootability is the red dot function. As with any optic I'm going to adjust it to fit me but the advantage I get with a red dot versus not having one matters. Like most people, I can shoot faster and more consistently with a dot than without a dot, so naturally... I want a dot.

But... is that really worth another +$1k? To some people, hell yes! To others, hell no! If it was my primary gun & scope then personally I'd get it, but if it was a backup or loaner rifle then I would settle for a strike eagle

I love everything about my Razor except the weight. It almost makes the rifle top-heavy if the rest is a lightweight build. As said by others, the Strike eagle will get it done, but the Razor is better. Other than adjusting when testing different types of ammunition, I have made only one zero correction in 3 years, a change of 1/2 minute vertical. It has been off the rifle 20 or more times, removed as a unit with the excellent Warne RAMP mount, and never required any adjustment when re-installed at the same slot. All other zero adjustments have been for bullet weight or high elevation changes for matches that require it. It has been on more than a dozen flights , and suffered no ill effects. Absolutely the toughest scope I have ever used. For me, NEVER having to worry about the scope after flying to a big match is worth the price difference by itself

I have the Strike Eagle now and it's my first real scope, I'm pretty happy with it. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Razor HD? Anyone have experience with both?

The only thing I don't like about the Strike Eagle is in some positions I have a little trouble getting the exact right cheek weld and eye relief for the proper sight picture. Is that kind of stuff the same on both scopes?

Also sometimes it seems a little blurry.

Once you are used to good clear glass its hard to go back. IF you can afford it between the two you mention the HD is awesome. I do agree that you should put as much money as you can afford on the optics. Better to have a 1000 scope and a 600 rifle than the other way around.

I keep optics far longer than the guns they are put on.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have had both. The reason for the extra cash is there for a reason. If you are serious about the game, get the better scope. If you only shoot a couple of local matches, you can get buy with the cheaper scope. There is no comparison with the glass quality and the HD reticle is superior to the Strike Eagle. Like Tom (Openclassterror) stated, the HD is a beast. They can be had up here from time to time for 1200 range or less. Hold out and get the better scope, you wont regret it. Just to give you a idea, I had the first Strike Eagle up for sale here when you could not get them, I never even mounted mine. If Vortex would do away with the doughnut and just have the tree, it would be better in my mind. I am now shooting a C-More and like the reticle even more than the Vortex.

I really wanted to like the strike eagle, and for the price, it's good. But, as the others say, comparing it to the gen2 razor isn't really even fair.

The eye box on the razor is far more forgiving, the glass is way better, too. Even with correctly set ocular focus, at the edges of the eyebox, some reticle doubling in the strike eagle may appear. The reticle in the strike eagle is more coarse than the fine substensions in the older viper pst's, but now might be too coarse...or at least might be better if the center/200yd intersection was differentiated better from the rest of the substension marks. Everything being the same thickness overpowers even the natural centering effect of the outer circle for me, and it's just "busy". The center dot of the razor is faster to me at close to intermediate ranges, and faster to find your hold at longer ranges, at least for me. It also screws with my head that the power ring works backwards on the strike eagle.

All that being said, I think this is a comparison of a good low end optic and one of the best made, so it's kind of apples and oranges. You could do far worse for a budget optic than the strike eagle, but it's not in the same league as the razor at all. Whether those differences matter to you is up to you, though.

I have 3 gen2 razors and one strike eagle. I'm probably going to relegate the strike eagle to a .300blk fun/pest control rifle, and I'm trying to justify buying another razor, for what that's worth, although I may look at a leupy mk6/w CMRW to give that a try.

I went straight for a razor and it performs beautifully. If you're looking for competition for it check out a steiner. I've heard good things about those from folks who are far better shots than I.