Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to manually decock hammer?

MarilynMonbro

I'm about to get a CZ 75 to play SSP and Production with it. What's the best and safest way to manually decock the hammer?

I currently just pinch the hammer, pull trigger, and slowly lower it down. I'm wondering if there's a better and safer way of doing it

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats how the vast majority of shooters I run do it. Make sure you lower it ALL THE WAY down. Caught a shooter recently who had been lowering his to half cock only for a few years. He was astonished when I told him it had to go all the way down unless it had a decocker.

I used to use the Eurotrash method shown in this video:

It's a very safe and controlled method. No risk of the hammer slipping like with the common approach of pinching and lowering it with the thumb and pointer finger of the weak hand.

I've since switched to cowboy style and lower the hammer with my strong-hand thumb. Chicks dig it.

:cheers:

Edited by kneelingatlas

Thats how the vast majority of shooters I run do it. Make sure you lower it ALL THE WAY down. Caught a shooter recently who had been lowering his to half cock only for a few years. He was astonished when I told him it had to go all the way down unless it had a decocker.

Interesting. I just bought an sp01 tactical with a decocker. It decocks to half cock. Will that be allowed for production?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I use the roll method like the video. When I see people pinching it makes me cringe. A little oil on the finger tip and you could have trouble. Roll method is fool proof.

I am absolutely not trying to be argumentative, but . . . . Sorry, but NOTHING is fool proof. De-cock the way you feel safest, but don't assume ANY method cannot or will not, let you down!

I'm reading this because I want a 9 and have been considering the cz for steel and if I ever try 3 gun. I wouldn't shoot it in production but might let my sister in law or friends borrow it.

that said, I find it amazing that there is the rule about decocking guns for production. I thought the primary reason for the rules was to keep us all safe and make things fair. Seems this rule is all about making DA/SA guys use the DA as their first pull instead of being about safety. Am I wrong? if a gun has a safety wouldn't the best thing to do be leave it cocked with the safety on?

Sorry if I"m missing something obvious. If somebody could point it out to me I'd appreciate it.

Red

I use the roll method like the video. When I see people pinching it makes me cringe. A little oil on the finger tip and you could have trouble. Roll method is fool proof.

I am absolutely not trying to be argumentative, but . . . . Sorry, but NOTHING is fool proof. De-cock the way you feel safest, but don't assume ANY method cannot or will not, let you down!

As soon as you make something fool proof, along comes an idiot.

No single-action guns in Production. Either striker-fired or DA/SA.

Consequently, the first shot on a gun with a hammer must be a double-action one.

Not 100% true. You have to lower the hammer before you holster, but if you wanted to, you could cock the hammer back after the draw to make the first shot SA. That was from Troy in the most recent Front Sight mag. I'm not saying you should, I'm saying you can. Edited by nahanshew89

Not in IPSC you couldn't, maybe USPSA. In IPSC the first shot must be DA in Production except on unloaded gun starts.

And people are correct, the rolling method isn't 100% perfect, none of them are. I demo this when teaching people, I tell them they must always look at holstering and decocking as things that need a conscious break before doing them. I then show them that I can roll my thumb out of the way fast enough to make the gun fire, and I let them see that so long as it's in a safe direction nothing bad will happen (other than a DQ at a match). No broken thumb or fingers or anything like that. I then let them try it if they wish, so that they get an idea of what it takes to mess that up. I definitely do prefer the roll method over any other, and I've seen some pretty wild "others"

I find it amazing that there is the rule about decocking guns for production. I thought the primary reason for the rules was to keep us all safe and make things fair. Seems this rule is all about making DA/SA guys use the DA as their first pull instead of being about safety. Am I wrong? if a gun has a safety wouldn't the best thing to do be leave it cocked with the safety on?

Sorry if I"m missing something obvious. If somebody could point it out to me I'd appreciate it.

Red

Red, Production rules are written to keep all the entry-level platforms on a somewhat even playing field, CZs and Tanfoglios are already the hot ticket, even handicapped with the hammer down start. What do you think the field would look like if you could start with a sub two pound SA trigger cocked and locked? Edited by kneelingatlas

Seems to me that you'd be better off shooting an SP-01 Tactical versus a regular SP-01 for Production. If it decocks like the P-07, it goes to the half-cock notch and makes things a bit easier on that first shot, and it's legal.

Seems to me that you'd be better off shooting an SP-01 Tactical versus a regular SP-01 for Production. If it decocks like the P-07, it goes to the half-cock notch and makes things a bit easier on that first shot, and it's legal.

The decocker design of the tactical was clearly a practical joke/ ploy to sell replacement springs by CZ designers.

Seriously, the decocker guns are a pain to work on and the trigger is not usually an nice as a safety version.

As an aside (for the decocker fans), don't forget that at ULSC you can't use the decocker to lower the hammer. You have to pull the trigger to drop the hammer.

I mention this because we had a "RO" locally who let folks decock and argued it was in the rules. Safety first.

As an aside (for the decocker fans), don't forget that at ULSC you can't use the decocker to lower the hammer. You have to pull the trigger to drop the hammer.

I mention this because we had a "RO" locally who let folks decock and argued it was in the rules. Safety first.

ULSC = Unload And Show Clear

I totally agree with that. The point of that whole bit after you are done shooting is to verify you have anew empty gun. Just decocking doesn't do that.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not in IPSC you couldn't, maybe USPSA. In IPSC the first shot must be DA in Production except on unloaded gun starts.

And people are correct, the rolling method isn't 100% perfect, none of them are. I demo this when teaching people, I tell them they must always look at holstering and decocking as things that need a conscious break before doing them. I then show them that I can roll my thumb out of the way fast enough to make the gun fire, and I let them see that so long as it's in a safe direction nothing bad will happen (other than a DQ at a match). No broken thumb or fingers or anything like that. I then let them try it if they wish, so that they get an idea of what it takes to mess that up. I definitely do prefer the roll method over any other, and I've seen some pretty wild "others"

Interesting... I have not intentionally rolled my thumb incorrectly to make it go bang. I assumed I would end up with the slide cutting my thumb if I did so. Do you have video of making it go bang while rolling your thumb?