Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean open gun after every match?

Sandbagger123

I usually clean my guns after every match. My open fun has a racker held by a set screw. It need to be removed due to the serendipity mount. I almost lost the racker when it came loose. I loctited it in.

I am thinking of extending my cleaning due to the need to remove the loctited screw.

So how many matches or round do you go before cleaning your open gun? My matches are usually about 150 to 200 per match

I have one that will go about thousand rounds and is fine but my main gun only goes about 3-400 before it starts puking.

So I guess it depends on the gun and ammo.

Lesson learned , ball detent next time!

So, I did an experiment with my Open gun, and I went 2000 rounds with out cleaning or applying oil to it, I think I could have run it longer, but that was all I was willing to test for.

I am not a Gun Oil band wagon lemming and I have used only Pennzoil 5W-30 full Synth oil for years on all my guns. And with using CFE Pistol it has allowed the gun to run clean for longer.

I am thinking it will be a once a month cleaning cycle for my open pistol at this point, or about 750-1000 rounds.

I also use a serendipity, and use either Vibratite VC3 on the racker screw, or apply Green 290 wicking loctite to the screw, let it set, and then heat it up with a soldering iron to turn the loctite into a non-hardening goo. Both of these methods allow me to remove and install the racker several times (10+) before I need to reapply the product again to keep the screw from coming loose. Never have had the racker come lose using these products.

How often I clean depends on conditions and mood, but if gun doesn't get dusty or wet i generally go about 1k rounds between real thorough cleaning of the top end. However, I do wipe down the obvious parts, run a bore mop down the barrel/chamber, and apply a little lube after every match.

Edited by Bamboo

I usually clean my TruBor right before a match - then don't clean

it for subsequent practice session(s).

I have to remove the set screw from my racker, as well, but that

just takes a few seconds - I don't Loctite it, but I check it for

tightness before I shoot. :cheers:

I usually clean my TruBor right before a match - then don't clean

it for subsequent practice session(s).

I have to remove the set screw from my racker, as well, but that

just takes a few seconds - I don't Loctite it, but I check it for

tightness before I shoot. :cheers:

yeah i checked it before shooting also, but it decided it needed to escape from my gun. lucky i found it. i think i may see how long it can go between cleanings.

I apply a little oil to the comp and then wipe it off to prevent buildup in the ports. Other then that just the general wipe down and bore snake treatment before a match. Personally I think over cleaning does way more harm then good....as long as the gun is running fine why mess with it. That said...every 2000 plus rounds or so. Both my Open guns are approx 7 years old.....and both run great.

I usually remove the slide, clean and oil the slide and barrel and run a snake through the barrel after every match of 150-200 rounds.

I can get away with 350-400 rounds, but need to oil the slide along the way.

I usually clean mine about once a month and / or before a major match. I detail strip, clean and re spring every 3-4k ish. My gun starts failing to go into full battery after 1000-1200rds of not cleaning.

Edited by Slostang

run a snake through the barrel after every match .

My two TruBors are almost ten years old, and I've

never run anything thru the barrels. :cheers:

Safe-queens, huh? I guess bullets don't count! :roflol:

I run Enos Slide-glide.... So I whipe it down and pack it fulla grease between matches. I will run it a week in practice before she gets tore down; however, that also depends on the amount of ammo I burned. It usually never gets put up dirty three times in a row just from the volume of ammo I burn.

You should drill a detent under the racker set screw, so even if it does loosen at a match it won't slide out. I do this with my guns and when I do racker cuts for customers. I don't use any loctite on mine either, but if I was going to I would use blue loctite.

You should drill a detent under the racker set screw, so even if it does loosen at a match it won't slide out. I do this with my guns and when I do racker cuts for customers. I don't use any loctite on mine either, but if I was going to I would use blue loctite.

Yup, blue is the ticket.

run a snake through the barrel after every match .

I've

never run anything thru the barrels. :cheers:

Safe-queens, huh? I guess bullets don't count! :roflol:

Somewhere around 20,000 rounds thru each - haven't been

doing a lot of shooting lately, but they ain't safe queens. :closedeyes:

Lock gun open, use swab to wipe crap off breach face, ramp, and locking lug recesses in top of the slide, add lube, go shoot. The top end comes off my gun a couple of times per year close to big matches for a bit more thouough cleaning. It gets torn all the way down at the start of the season to check for wear. Other than that I just shoot the thing.

Dirty never seemed to cause much trouble, dry does. Ymmv

Edited by caspian guy