Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning of High End Pistols

I’m relatively new to pistol shooting, but have a high end 1911 & 2011 and was wondering what would be the essentials for cleaning such high end pistols.

I’ve never cleaned them before, but will need to shortly after a marksmanship course I’m doing.

I’m guessing I’ll need a nylon cleaning brush, slide glide, a nylon coated one piece cleaning rod & patches.

I hoping I could have others with more experience tell me what I need and what the best brands are?

Wipe it down and apply more motor oil ;)

This✅✅✅

You gotta love USPSA competitors. They actually shoot their guns. Lol

Seriously, if I paid a lot for gun, it better work with motor oil and slide glide for 1000 rds.

Edited by JD45

You don't say if they are new guns, but if they are (or dirty used ones), you should clean them before you ever shoot them. If new, there is usually rust preventative everywhere that needs to be removed. If used, there's no better way to inspect the gun than a good cleaning. Also don't forget the lube before putting lead down range.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This✅✅✅

You gotta love USPSA competitors. They actually shoot their guns. Lol

Seriously, if I paid a lot for gun, it better work with motor oil and slide glide for 1000 rds.

Tight fitted light sprung custom guns are not like Glocks. They WILL quit running if they get too dirty. I used to clean my Glock twice a season but my 2011 opens start acting up if I don't clean them before 1000 rounds. If I try to run a 7lb recoil spring I have to clean them mid way through a 2 day major match. Hence, I run an 8. lol

I clean all of my handguns with ProLix now. It's not inexpensive, but it's used as a bath in a lidded container and is reused over and over. A brief soak, then they basically wipe clean, I use a toothbrush and q-tips, and are rinsed in the bath. A few swipes with a brush in the bore, then another quick rinse. Do NOT wipe dry. Just set the parts up so that they dry. It dries to a dry lube.

Very minimal wear on the gun.

If the bore ever does need better cleaning they suggest a non-embedding paste cleaner on a tight fitting patch. Dang, I can't remember the name. It's on the ProLix website.

Edited by BrianKr

Same as low end guns.

+1. Whether it's my Kimbers or Springers, Baer, Dads Wilson, or my full custom they all get cleaned the same. With round counts between 10k and 60k they all shoot accurately and function reliably.

Go on Amazon and order 1000 of the 6" wooden Q-tips for like $15. Thank me later.

I can't live without them. I clean/lube all my guns and reloading presses with them. The are strong enough to "dig in" and thin enough to get into lug recesses and frame rails. I will say that I clean/lube my 1911's very often, and I pretty much never clean my polymer guns. I once threw a Glock 34 angrily into a muddy field, left it there a few days, then pretty much hosed it off and shot another 2000 rounds. It was plate rack induced.

Edited by RippinSVT

This✅✅✅

Exactly ... Spend your time shooting them not cleaning them. This is a slippery slope ... Next you'll be doing those 12 step brass cleaning reloading protocols I read about on the reloading sub forum ... :)

I use Frog Lube CLP liquid for my primary cleaning agent and Slide Glide (lite or standard depending on the season) for my SVI 1911.

For the G34, it's Frog Lube CLP and Mobile 1. :)

I leave the barrels of both of them mostly alone other than to run a bore snake through them about every 1,000 rounds or so.

I like cleaning guns I generally won't shoot them more than a couple hundred rounds before I clean them again.

The Q-tip idea is a good one. I need to try that. I've been using tooth picks to get patches in the hard to reach areas and I think the long Q-Tip idea is probably a better way of doing that.

Im relatively new to pistol shooting, but have a high end 1911 & 2011 and was wondering what would be the essentials for cleaning such high end pistols.

Ive never cleaned them before, but will need to shortly after a marksmanship course Im doing.

Im guessing Ill need a nylon cleaning brush, slide glide, a nylon coated one piece cleaning rod & patches.

I hoping I could have others with more experience tell me what I need and what the best brands are?

Everyone has their special approach on this. Most all will work well enough.

I use non chlorinated brake cleaner to get old oils and powder residue off. Quick, easy, and cheap. You MUST lube after doing this or you will get serious rust.

Mobil 1 synthetic 30W is what I use on all my 1911 pattern pistols. It works and generally stays where it belongs. I have found it works better than greases. 1911s run better wet and relatively clean.

I use a brass oversize brush to clean the chamber. That's important to good function. Use the solvent of your choice. I like a 50/50 mix of Dexteon AUtomatic Transmission Fliud and Mineral Spirits. Cheap and effective.

Bore cleaning is generally just a nylon brush using the above solvent. If there is metallic fouling the no use a snug fitting brass brush to remove it.

Wipe off the outside and re-lube to prevent rust.

I use the same routine with Glocks or spendy small shop built pistols. It's just a machine. Cleaning is just part of the maintenance process. No need to over think it or go crazy with special products. You probably have all the lube and cleaners you need in your garage right now.

Cleaning guns, right,...surely you jest, hahaha.

Unload, lock back that slide, insert pinky finger in the opening and clean the feed ramp with said finger. Then apply that black stuff on the end of your pinky finger to your face like war paint. Go shoot.

Oh, almost forgot, couple drops of oil from the leftover oil that you used when you did your own oil change.

Easy peasy, done.

High end, middle end and low end handgun cleaning 101.

Edited by Chris iliff

This✅✅✅

Exactly ... Spend your time shooting them not cleaning them. This is a slippery slope ... Next you'll be doing those 12 step brass cleaning reloading protocols I read about on the reloading sub forum ... :)

I love it when logic prevails...long time shooters (high volume) get to this point pretty quick,

Same here on the cleaning, however my lube oil has a bit of a twist. I use full synthetic boat drive oil. (Bravo Shop, NEO Synthetic) It has the higher viscosity to run in extreme heat and water repellent qualities should the gun get in a moisture situation when shooting.

https://bravoshop.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=932

No matter how or when you clean, make sure to properly lube your pistol. High quality, hand fitted guns need to be lubed and/or greased. It's not like a polymer gun that can run fairly dry. Pay particular attention to slide rails and a couple drops of oil toward the muzzle end and breach end of the barrel.

Personally, about every 500 rounds I field strip and wipe down with CLP, then a couple drops on the areas I mentioned and Tetra grease on the slide rails. Takes me a couple minutes to do but keeps my STI running flawlessly.

Mobil 1, nothing but bullets down the barrel , it applies to all my guns from Infinity or AKAI custom to inexpensive Tupperware. For cleaning, acetone.

Edited by dvc4you

I suppose it warrants adding that I clean my USPSA/Steel/other guns only as necessary to keep functioning reliable. I'm certain I've gone many many thousands of rounds without cleaning many of them. However, on my Bianchi/Bullseye guns I'm like benchrest shooter with getting fairly meticulous into the lug recesses, rails, chamber, etc. As Brian Enos says in his book, you need only be as accurate as you need to be. It doesn't take a perfectly clean pistol to put two in an A-zone at 15 yards, but it may need to be to put 6-12 shots into an inch or two at 50 yards consistently.

I've been using a cheap automatic transmission fluid for years to clean and run rifles and pistols. I keep Mobil 1 handy but hardly ever use it any more. Sometimes during a practice session I'll use the Mobil 1 I keep in my range bag for a field cleaning along with a bore snake and microfiber towel. I don't do anything differently based on the gun's price tag.

I add weapon shield or fp-10 or Mobil1 (whatever is closest on my bench or in the top of my bag) before I shoot them, wipe then down every 1,000 rounds or so. Pull them all the way apart and put in a new recoil spring every 3000 rounds or so.

These are hand fit 1911s and 2011s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Nickb45