Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major or .40 S&W for Open?

horhey232

So I am in the process of building an open gun and I have come to the bridge of what caliber I want to go with. I know most people are going to say 9mm Major but as of right now I do not reload. I like that with .40 S&W most store bought ammo will put me into major but 9mm Major will have a cutting edge on me with capacity and lower recoil but still making major.

What are you guys running?

9mm major for me but any of the 9mm/38 guns are the way to go. If you want to shoot open you really need to load or buy the commercial Ammo meant for an open gun. Factory 40 ammo makes major but it's basically limited with a dot as your not working the Comp much at all. Also if you go 40 and decide to sell it your literally gonna have to give it away as no one is gonna want it

A large part of shooting open is geeking with bullets, powders, OAL and such. There are many more options available for 9. I have shot .40 open for a long time. I now shoot 9. Go with 9. I use a 650. If I knew I was going to wind up with a focus on 9, I would of got a 1050. Deals with crimped primers nicely.

Good luck,

Chuck

38SC and buy major PF ammo already loaded from Atlanta Arms and Ammo. Or, go 9mm Major and roll your own. I know more than few that went from 38SC to 9mm Major and went back to 38SC. I also know a crap load of guys that shoot 9mm Major and never sweat picking up brass. Either way, you can't go wrong.

I like that with .40 S&W most store bought ammo will put me into major

There's a difference between making major and making major with a lot of gas to run the comp. you would have to reload either way to get the best performing load so you may as well go 9MAJOR since it will be much cheaper to load than 40

To be completely honest, if you are up to snuff on your shooting, I don't think it matters on 90% of the stages 9 or 40, capacity wise.

However, like Sarge said you are still gonna need to load light for caliber (i.e., 140 grain or so) bullets with slow powder if you want your compensator to be effective. My friend shoots a 40 open gun and it is nice and flat, but he is definitely loading specifically to work the comp. If you are reloading anyway, a 9mm or 38 caliber is going to be much cheaper as far as bullets go. And between a 9mm and 38 a 9mm is going to be essentially free in the brass department, compared to a 38.

I vote a 650, and then a 9mm..

<---- sitting here in the corner with my 40 open STI, long dust cover and lightened slide, with Geco ammo that works the comp pretty darn well and keeps the gun shooting flat.

granted, when I make master I'll build a 9major gun and reload for it, so I can not have to reload those extra few times a match, and because I love to tinker and that makes finding a 9major load fun.

I also have to disagree with the notion a 40 won't work the comp, or that it is " a lot" more expensive to load Major for than a 9mm.

You work with the design of your comp. The notion that you have to have gobs of powder behind a 135 or 140 40sw bullet to work the comp is nonsense. With a 135gr and 8+gr of Autocomp i make Major at 1.126" OAL. It is very,hard on your hands and very, very loud. It is also not very accurate.

Now contrast that to using a Rainier 155 clad TC or their 165gr, 6.0 to 6.2 respectively of N340 makes 170PF. It shoots soft, is not deafening and is accurate. The dot does not leave the glass on the FF3 I have mounted on the slide. It is a much more civilized load than a 9mm 115gr ahead of 10gr SP2 or some such. 6.9gr of Autocomp does the job as well.

Now, all that being said, if I decide to build myself a custom 2011 Open gun, it won't be 40sw. In all likelihood it won't be 9mm Major either. I'd be leaning toward 38SC for the flexibility. Yes, I know that's passe, but I won't mind losing $15 worth of brass at each of ten matches throughout the year. Plus, I'll still have working eardrums at the end of the year.

Plus, I'll still have working eardrums at the end of the year.

I don't know what 38's you have shot or been around, but they are significantly more abusive than your run of the mill 9 major on average (in my sensitive eared opinion). They very often have lots and lots of holes and use truly obscene charge weights.