Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying a glock 34.

HerdThinner

I am buying a glock 34 in the next few weeks and like most I can't just leave it stock. I'm trying to get some input on what sights some are running and the likes or dislikes. I have ameriglow on my 22 but open to suggestions. I will be shooting this for IDPA.

Any other mods that readers want to expand on I would love to hear. Thanks again.

I have Dawson sights on my 34, and the Warren-Sevigny's on my 19. I kinda prefer the Warren's myself. The 34 is for IDPA ESP class, and has a ZEV magwell that allows the use of stock magazines, a DK Custom trigger, and a Wolff SS guide rod and their 14# spring. BTW, it's a Gen 3.

I like Warren Sevegny but some Dawson adjustable may save you some headache if you load your own, or will in the future. I'd buy the right springs and you are good to go; extra power trigger return spring and reduced power firing pin safety spring. I've had zero issues with a 4.5# striker spring and a stock striker. That will get you started just fine.

I been using Dawson front and rear sights on mine 35 gen 4 with lone Wolf 9mm barrel.

To me Dawson sights are the best just keep light oil film on them. They comes with 2 color optic every 6 month I swith the color on my sight that seems to keep me more focused.

I wounder if shooters do that I mean switch color

Another vote here for Dawsom Precision adjustable. You can get that front sight pretty narrow (fast) on Dawsons and the Warrens have a lot of light at the back. I have both and for the games Dawson with fiber optics all the way.

Great Intel keep it coming. So in IDPA internal trigger is ok ?

Depends on what class you want to compete in. If you want to shoot in SSP, then it's a no-no. If you add the things I did, then you go up to ESP class. My DK trigger pulls at 3.5# using the 4.5# firing pin spring with no problems.

I just joined the forum. I bought a Glock 34 for competition shooting (used it in a half-dozen IDPA matches and two USPSA matches so far). It seems that you are getting a lot of options from people. I won't add to any confusion by noting the sights that I use, but I will note that I went through an experimental process before settling on the final sights that I use. It seems that many people recommend what they use, but do not really explain why they use those sights nor how they benefit them better. I did a bunch of research and tried at least three different sights (including red and green fiber optic rods). I tried to discover why certain people (good shooters) chose the sights that they used (plain black rear sights or not, serrations or not, width of rear notch and front sight, green or red fiber optic (or plain), adjustable rear or not, etc.). Once I understood why certain sights were favored it helped me narrow my choices. Spending $100 plus on a sight set (and then selling at a loss if they don't work out) is not fun (but changing Glock sights is definitely easier than some other guns with dovetails). I also think that personal preference, age (eyesight acuity), and many other factors enter the equation.

I shared my experience so that maybe it will spark some questions that will help you choose. I'm sure some of the experienced posters above would gladly explain why they chose the sights that they did.

Good luck.

If you like wider rear notch, flat, go with sevigny.

If you like slightly narrower rear notch, serrated, go with taran.

Both fronts are same width and similar style.

I do not have experience with Dawson rear but their front sight is built very well, more durable then the above 2 mentioned but since the fiber optic isn't as exposed, I find it to be a bit dull when it's dark/shooting inside.

If you like wider rear notch, flat, go with sevigny.

If you like slightly narrower rear notch, serrated, go with taran.

Both fronts are same width and similar style.

I also noticed the fiber is moved up slightly in the Taran sight. With my old eyes it lets the fiber blend in slightly with the target in some colors. I need that little bit extra material to keep the front sight focus crisp. Both the above do use 1mm fibers.

I run the Warren Tactical (not the Sevigny's) on my 17 for ssp and production. Also have them on a 34 built for esp and limited minor. I prefer the WT sights because of the shape of the rear sight. The corners are scalloped rather than square which allows you to see more of the target. I had the Dawson adjustables on the 34 but quickly changed them out for the WT's as the sight picture is far better IMO. If you go with the WT's make sure to order the kit with the .245 tall front sight and it will shoot POA/POI. An adjustable rear is not entirely necessary and will make your gun much tighter in the box if you one day decide to add a magwell for esp