Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics with iron sight?

hwansikcjswo

I am planning to shoot Carry optcis nationals after production nationals.

I shoot Tanfoglio which is not legal in CO. So I have a Glock 19 and 35.

Does anyone know if I can shoot my glock without an optical sight at CO nationals?

I have no money to buy another gun, I am a married college student.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the rules are provisional they are on the USPSA website under NROI Rules and Rulings.

It "allows" Optics with certain restrictions,

From the NROI Website

APPENDIX D7, CARRY OPTICS, PROVISIONAL

13 Optical/electronic sights permitted Yes, must be attached directly to slide between rear of slide and ejection port.

I would say iron sights are ok. Many optics ready factory pistols have iron sights that co-witness with (in case of failure of the optics).

Matter of fact I've heard that many planning on shooting the Production Nationals are considering doing just what you are asking about.

Just make sure you meet all of the other restrictions.

Ugh... So now co numbers will go up because a bunch of production guys are going to shoot it at nationals?!? Brother.....

I'm not sure that I see the problem, or who it's a problem for. If it's a division compliant firearm, then it seems to be a non-issue.

Would a competitor with a compensated 2011, sans optic, be scorned for shooting in Open?

Ugh... So now co numbers will go up because a bunch of production guys are going to shoot it at nationals?!? Brother.....

Like Open numbers go up when competitors get moved there for busting the requirements of their declared divisions? :-)
If the difference isn't obvious you have been blinded by the CO light! Open is a real division. It's a tough division and getting bumped to it with a Glock 19 is brutal.

CO is a provisional division that is getting limited traction and needs more players to become a reality. People shooting it with Production guns just because they want to is going to artificially inflate the participation levels. Which may possibly cause CO to become a reality for the few who don't want to shoot open with their optic equipped guns.

Like Open numbers go up when competitors get moved there for busting the requirements of their declared divisions? :-)
If the difference isn't obvious you have been blinded by the CO light! Open is a real division. It's a tough division and getting bumped to it with a Glock 19 is brutal.

CO is a provisional division that is getting limited traction and needs more players to become a reality. People shooting it with Production guns just because they want to is going to artificially inflate the participation levels. Which may possibly cause CO to become a reality for the few who don't want to shoot open with their optic equipped guns.

So what? It's no skin off your nose. Why do worry so much about what other people are doing? Shoot the division you like and let others do the same.

wait, what? how so? does it change your placement in the overall? does it change the way you shoot? division is just a label.

It would be brutal if you got kicked in the nuts every stage when shot open with a glock 19.

Kevin, I think you're in favor of PCC, but obviously hate CO. What do you see as the difference? New division, people having fun shooting guns, happy, happy, happy.

Why is it ok to add a rifle division to a pistol competition but not ok to add a pistol division to a pistol competition ....

Great idea. Easy way to improve your odds of finishing with a prominent win, why not enter a competition with almost no entries and have a 1/5 chance of randomly winning nationals?

I hope the CO championship doesn't even have any CO pistols in it, that'd be hilarious.

Edited by KSwift

Nimitz, not sure if you are asking me, but I have no problem with either new division. What anyone wants to shoot has no bearing on my fun.

I think you are asking Sarge the same question I did, more eloquently.

Edited by OPENB

Kevin, I think you're in favor of PCC, but obviously hate CO. What do you see as the difference? New division, people having fun shooting guns, happy, happy, happy.

Why is it ok to add a rifle division to a pistol competition but not ok to add a pistol division to a pistol competition ....
Because there is already a division for optics. And there are more guys interested in PCC within 20 miles of me than there are those interested in CO nationwide apparently

I just can't get behind CO when we already have open division. I have always seen it that way. No it doesn't hurt me. I have been called a hater from day one yet I get chastised for joking and using WO which I copied by the way. All that does is reenergize my contempt for it. It just doesn't make sense to me when guys say open is too expensive yet I can buy 2 RTS2 for what some guys are spending on an optic to put on a $500 gun.

I get there's a difference...... Hence the :-) at the end of that question......

I'm not convinced that having the ability to offer CO is bad for the organization. I wasn't in favor of SS as it wasn't popular in my neck of the woods -- and it still isn't. But it's apparently been fun for the few people who do shoot it, and I can't see where it's hurt local matches......

I just can't get behind CO when we already have open division. I have always seen it that way. No it doesn't hurt me. I have been called a hater from day one yet I get chastised for joking and using WO which I copied by the way. All that does is reenergize my contempt for it. It just doesn't make sense to me when guys say open is too expensive yet I can buy 2 RTS2 for what some guys are spending on an optic to put on a $500 gun.

The cost of that optic wouldn't even cover the price of a good set of mags for your open gun.

You admit you have contempt for the division, but can't understand why you are called a hater.

Boy,

That was fun. :rolleyes: Now let's get back to the OP's question:

I am planning to shoot Carry optcis nationals after production nationals.

I shoot Tanfoglio which is not legal in CO. So I have a Glock 19 and 35.

Does anyone know if I can shoot my glock without an optical sight at CO nationals?

I have no money to buy another gun, I am a married college student.

Unless there is something specific in the rules that make your glocks illegal, you are good to go. Optical sights are permitted but not mandatory by any rule that I see. In fact. my first open classifiers were shot with a single stack .45 with irons.

Have fun!

Chuck

Have fun!

Chuck

Thank you Chuck.

I have one more question.

If I shoot my Tanfo Stock2 at CO Nats, I am just gonna get bumped up to Open division right?

then I don't have to bring my glock if my intention is just to shoot CO nats for fun.

You could be the open national champ.

If I had any CO legal guns I'd be staying at nats for one extra day to shoot the CO Nationals (with irons) too. All my guns are too heavy.

Same boat here.

If I had any CO legal guns I'd be staying at nats for one extra day to shoot the CO Nationals (with irons) too. All my guns are too heavy.

Why not shoot as Open division with heavy gun?