Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Motion Comp Testing

kneelingatlas

All the videos prior to those I posted on 2/25 used a FPS with a factory radius which is slightly more than Big Boy's, his is basically square with a slightly broken edge, I don't own any as square as his. In the next few months I'm going to repeat some of my early videos with a FPB like the one above.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good idea, I'll try no comp next time :)

The test mule has no ports in the barrel and I know Akai uses that comp with lots of ports (6-8).

When I had that comp on my short 38 with two holes it definitely shot softer/flatter at major velocity (maybe lower muzzle pressure?).

You are correct. The Akai comp is designed to be used with lots of holes and a stroked recoil system. I imagine it would suck with out the holes. It is there on our guns to pull the gun forward, the holes are used to stop rise and stroking softens the hit at the end of the slide travel

John, to my eye your y7 tanfog is as flat or flatter than the beddel 2011 but has a more pronounced dip as the slide goes into battery.

I was surprised at that at the gold team slides are pretty light. I cant remember if your y7 slide is as light as a 4.5inch gt slide though?

What weight recoil spring is in that gun? Maybe a lighter one would help.

I don't know how it feels in the hand but assuming it's not stupid hard it looks almost like the gun setup. Perhaps a bit of stroking and a lighter recoil spring would keep the flatness it has now but reduce the muzzle dip.

My Y7 slide is lighter than a V12 GT slide aa it has about the same weight out of the front and nearly an ounce out of the rear. I'm not sure of the spring weight, but I think it's in the 8-10# range, I really should make a spring dyno and sort my springs by weight.

As an interesting test today, I strapped 5 lbs of ankle weights to my arms today to see the effect on muzzle flip. It had zero performance gain when the slide hits the frame but it did dampen some of the oscillation that occurs when the slide goes back into battery.

I wish I had a faster camera though. 240 FPS makes a lot of this analysis difficult to see.

My Y7 slide is lighter than a V12 GT slide aa it has about the same weight out of the front and nearly an ounce out of the rear. I'm not sure of the spring weight, but I think it's in the 8-10# range, I really should make a spring dyno and sort my springs by weight.

do you notice the dip when shooting? it looks to me like it's about as flat or better than any of the others but does have a pronounced dip. it's got me buggered as I thought your slide was lighter than a GT which is already shorter and lighter than the average 5 inch 2011 open. I can only assume that it's the cycle speed of the slide coming forward. so maybe something like a 7lb recoil spring or a springco with 6 or 7lb primary but that stiffer secondary so you don't loose the nice flatness it has.

• 2 weeks later...

post-51075-0-32734600-1458280515_thumb.p

Sorry the files were too big to add them all to the same post. I think this last picture shows the muzzle at its maximum lift. pretty much 100% of the muzzle flip for me happens after the slide ends its rearward travel, similar to a bunch of other guns here.

Edited by Gooldylocks

A spur of the moment cell phone video I shot yesterday of Jeff Gordon with his Bedell 9mm open pistol

May I ask how recent that Bedell build is? It looks like a newer comp design than the one I have.

I am not 100% sure of how old the build. Maybe Jeff (Sudden Death) will drop in an answer the question for you.