Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Motion Comp Testing

kneelingatlas

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about to start building a new open gun . . . WHERE DO YOU FIND ALL THESE DIFFERENT COMPS? I know where to find a Cheely, an (old style) Bedell, a Brazos, a CFD, but where do you find an LSI? an "Eric's comp"? any one make a cone titanium? GANS is building my gun.

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by redfisher

You will need a steel cone and then a Ti comp. ti is not a good bearing surface. It will typically add about 1/2" vs a steel cone comp.

I've wondered if any one made a threaded steel cone. But now does that affect your weight savings? Who makes such a thing? Thanks Jeff

You will need a steel cone and then a Ti comp. ti is not a good bearing surface. It will typically add about 1/2" vs a steel cone comp.

I've wondered if any one made a threaded steel cone. But now does that affect your weight savings? Who makes such a thing? Thanks Jeff

If you really want light Glenn at LSI can do a Briley spherical bushing on a bushing barrel with a comp.

Otherwise you could go with a bull barrel and have it tapered and or fluted to reduce weight. I don't like the idea of 2 sets of threads, personally... and the weight would be close to a steel cone setup.

I was running a 10lb recoil and 18lb hammer spring. Then I switched to the 8/17 setup. The slow motion video makes it look like its struggling to close but it's been 100% reliable so far with about 1500 rounds on that setup. I really like how it feels and how the sights track while shooting.

To be fair, I have had a few others shoot the gun in this setup and they had failure to feed issues. But then again these same shooters were allowing the gun to muzzle flip excessively. Muzzle flip + light springs = jams. You can't grip this setup like a wimp and expect it to work.

On August 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM, CHA-LEE said:

Some people might want to use a Shockbuff, but I don't. They add too much potential for other issues.

On August 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM, CHA-LEE said:

Some people might want to use a Shockbuff, but I don't. They add too much potential for other issues.

I shoot a Cheely limited gun occasionally and Matt said never use a shock buff. That said I've always had them I'm my open guns.

Edited by redfisher

• 1 month later...

CHA-LEE, your last video is impressive. The Open gun's slide is on the lighter side? Could you please share source video file?

I browsed liveshots.net today and noticed, that big names and sturdy built guys are not that much concerned with super-low muzzle rise. Snannon Smith, Tori Nonaka, Rob Leatham, Hannu Uronen, Dave Sevigny - pictured with slide open. I won't be ashamed of my muzzle rise ;D

http://www.liveshots.net/photographs/2011costatesc/Hannu Uronen P8051286.jpg

Edited by arkadi

• 2 months later...

Looks like your gun is dipping when the slide closes, you should drop down a pound on the recoil spring to see if you can correct it. I did tests with slow motion and found a 7lb was the correct one for my gun using 8.5 grains or HS6 and a 115 PD pill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MrPostman, you're dipping the gun without help of recoil spring though [emoji14]

Well I'm no Grandmaster or anything lol. The video doesn't lie, I am dipping the gun, I wouldn't know that I was doing that otherwise. Always something to work on....anyway this is the best combo for my shooting ability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ive been following this thread for a while, decided I had to try a slow mo video of my own and post it. 9mm trubor, lightened slide and 2 3/16 barrel ports, 124 gr jhp from precision delta and 8.8 grains of 3n38.