Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Motion Comp Testing

kneelingatlas

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The muzzle blast from power pistol is obnoxious, but it does create a lot of muzzle pressure. Might be worth a try in the 140-150ish power factor range.

someone any load advice for 9major loads with Power pistol? my pistol runs on standard loads with power pistol, maybe I'll try to get major (big flash and bang)

gr T

I ran a bunch of 147s in 9Major a few years ago when that was the only thing I could find. It wasn't that bad at all but I wouldn't use it by choice. I wouldn't use it with 124s and using it with 115s would be silly, given the pressure signs I saw in my testing.

I've run Power Pistol up to 180pf with 124s. No pressure signs at all.

I have an app that will slow down video. I wonder if you filmed in high speed, then hit it with the slow motion app how it would look. I would still love a pair for matches. I think that would be great to be able to see 1st person as well as a stationary view of what was going on. I think side by side would be awesome.

I have an app that will slow down video. I wonder if you filmed in high speed, then hit it with the slow motion app how it would look. I would still love a pair for matches. I think that would be great to be able to see 1st person as well as a stationary view of what was going on. I think side by side would be awesome.

The slo mo apps really don't help much when trying to analyze what is going on because you are still looking at the same number of frame captures. The video I posted above I shot at 600fps and then played it back at an equivalent rate of 1200fps but there is still only 600fps of data. So you still need enough fps to capture the motion detail you are looking for.

Yes, frame rate is where it's at in slow mo. I'm shooting 240fps and you'll notice the my videos are like stop frame animation because you're looking at the same frame for a few beats.

I looked at some bullet impact stuff and it was filmed at 40K frames per second!

Next time I'll film the other side so better shooters can take a look at my support grip. I know I'm not managing recoil as well as I should be able to. I'm not as strong as I once was but I can still close #2 CoC so I would imagine strength is the issue.

Eric also gave me a radically angled firing pin stop I plan to try in concert with new springs. I bought all my 2011s used, so I don't actually know what weight springs are in them.

Would you try it w/o a comp at all?

Seems like the Akai has the most movement & most violent. Could be the flash, also this is also only one aspect of many.

Awesome videos thank you for taking the time to make these.

Edited by a matt

That's a good idea, I'll try no comp next time :)

The test mule has no ports in the barrel and I know Akai uses that comp with lots of ports (6-8).

When I had that comp on my short 38 with two holes it definitely shot softer/flatter at major velocity (maybe lower muzzle pressure?).

It's funny you ask Eric, of the most recent group I would say yours shot the softest :) The McLearn was a close second, but that may be due to the fact it weighs a ton!

The firing pin stop didn't drop into with of my guns, so I'll need to fit it, but I'm excited to try.

What I'd really love to try is the Eric comp in a cone to fit my Tanfoglio made from aluminum or titanium with two 3/16" holes angled back 10 degrees. Want to cut one for me Eric?

It's funny you ask Eric, of the most recent group I would say yours shot the softest :) The McLearn was a close second, but that may be due to the fact it weighs a ton!

The firing pin stop didn't drop into with of my guns, so I'll need to fit it, but I'm excited to try.

What I'd really love to try is the Eric comp in a cone to fit my Tanfoglio made from aluminum or titanium with two 3/16" holes angled back 10 degrees. Want to cut one for me Eric?

I shoot with Eric often and have one of his comps on my current open gun (switched from the CFD comp). I think 'flatness' is relative and is dependent on many factors beyond the comp (grip, strength, load, etc). Many have probably seen Cha-Lee's videos where he shoots his limited gun flatter than many can shoot open guns :surprise: .

I would think that there's not a significant difference in terms of flatness on most of the newer comps on the market today and the videos seem to represent that. However, what you can't see is how hard or soft it hits in the hands. After having several discussions with Eric on his comp, one of the main differences is that he designed it to be softer. I haven't tested nearly as many comps but it's good to see that your testing also supports that.

Keep up the great work!

The down side to doing this is the camera is between the shooter and the gun. Trying to aim by looking at the display of the camera can be difficult.

Look at how much C-More mount/sight vibration you have when the shot breaks. Maybe its time for a more stout scope mount?

Why do you need to film? Look at how much vibrating dot "noise" there is when the whole scope is vibrating. You should be able to see this failure by simply observing how much dot noise there is as the shot fires.

I'm pretty sure all slide rides with single side mounts are going to exhibit that type of vibration. It's what I'd expect given the geometry of the set-up and the forces involved. If you notice the gunrobot video there is similar vibration but more vertical than horizontal and I believe it's a serendipity. When you see slo-mo vids, how much things do actually move becomes painfully clear.

Edited by theWacoKid

The movement is typical of a single sided mount without a thumb rest. And no the dot "noise" isn't all that apparent at real time speeds. Thumb rests really seem to dampen this vibration.

Edited by staudacher