Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI Trojan blemish

Peplow530

Last week I got a brand new STI Trojan in 9mm for an ESP IDPA gun. I took it to the range Monday and put 50 rounds through it. On Tuesday I took it apart to clean it and noticed something right away.

There is some kind of blemish in the frame next to the barrel lug channel. It actually bleeds slightly into the groove. I've owned over a dozen 1911s of various makes and models and have never seen this before. My main concern is this is a high friction area with moving parts that need to function flawlessly for the pistol to work. I would hate for it to cause an issue later down the road and render the frame useless.

Are things like this very common with STI frames, or is this just overlooked bad quality control? I've sent STI an email regarding my concerns, still waiting to hear back from them.

image_zpshbzxpcrp.jpg

image_zps5n24ymoq.jpg

image_zpsqewf05wk.jpg

From STI's webpage:

"THE STI WARRANTY: STI strives to provide our customers with the highest quality, most reliable guns possible. Simply put, if it breaks we fix it, normal use wear, abuse or neglect of proper maintenance care are excluded. Our employee owners stand behind the guns we build. Please call 512 819 0656 for information to return guns for warranty work."

I would give them a call.

A void like that would weaken the frame, especially given its location near the slide release/barrel link connection and near a corner. Who knows if it would ever crack or now, but I'm sure STI would rather have a gun back for a manufacturing defect than a cracked frame due to a manufacturing defect.

The guys from STI will get back to you and give you a square honest answer

It is a casting void the BUT is it will "probably" not be a problem

They will be honest with you and fix it if it needs it

Good fortune

Well they got back to me, after talking with warranty and quality control they decided it would be best to replace the frame.

But earlier today I realized that I am in CA, in order to get this gun I had to private party transfer it since it is not on our ridiculous drop list. I will not be able to DROS a new serial number.

So I guess I'm just shooting this one until I can't anymore. Either I grow too old and my hands and sight stop working, or the gun fails. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which comes first, hahaha.

Well they got back to me, after talking with warranty and quality control they decided it would be best to replace the frame.

But earlier today I realized that I am in CA, in order to get this gun I had to private party transfer it since it is not on our ridiculous drop list. I will not be able to DROS a new serial number.

So I guess I'm just shooting this one until I can't anymore. Either I grow too old and my hands and sight stop working, or the gun fails. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which comes first, hahaha.

Did you ask them if they could make a replacement frame with the same serial #? Some manufacturers will do that, not sure about STI.

Ideally they'd send you back new frame, same number. But if they can't/won't, appears there is another way to get it done, sounds like you need to work with an FFL that can do this: http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=14757991&postcount=51

"But earlier today I realized that I am in CA,"....You JUST realized it?

"But earlier today I realized that I am in CA,"....You JUST realized it?

Okay Mr. Grumpy One, don't be a troll