Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which case gages do you like best?

johnson184

For the money, the EGW 7 round chamber checker is a great deal at $20. EGW also makes a 4 hole multi caliber gauge (9mm, 40, 45, and 38 super) that is good for the range bag, also for 20 bucks.

The Hundo (100 holes) is very nice and a good deal at about $100. I have one for 9mm (standard gauge) and it works great.

The EGW 50 hole gauges are also very good. Once in a while you will come across them used for a good price....don't hesitate if the price works for you. I bought a couple used for .38 super and they are well made and work great, also.

If I was buying new I'd go for the Hundo guage, more holes for the same money and there is no difference in performance.

For .223 I use a L.E. Wilson gauge . Not the fastest, but it is effective.

I borrowed a friend's Hundo, saved me 5 minutes checking 500 rounds. I might be fast with the single or using the Hundo wrong, but does not seem like a huge time saver to me.

Edited by MarkCO

I borrowed a friend's Hundo, saved me 5 minutes checking 500 rounds. I might be fast with the single or using the Hundo wrong, but does not seem like a huge time saver to me.

Yeah, you are doing something wrong for sure! I used the Dillon for 4 years or more and decided to spend the money for the hundo. No comparison whatsoever. Especially like the flip from box to box method after checking. I can check and box 100 in less than 5 minutes.

Well, I don't box my ammo. Is that the time saving? I just went down with a stopwatch and checked 100 in under 5 minutes no sweat. Are you somehow getting them to fall into the Hundo without having to handle each one?

I employ child laborers.

They load the gauge then present it to me for inspection.

It helps develop dexterity and hand-eye coordination, so it is all good.

Plus, I pay them one American dollar for every 1000 they help gauge. :cheers:

If I am doing it myself I can take a handful and basically drop them in nose first pretty quickly, then check to see if they are all flush, inspect all the primers, and the condition of the case heads. I'll cull out the ones that are looking pretty worn and use those at a local range that is known for having lots of standing water in the bays on match day. Probably takes about 5 minutes, but I find it less tedious than doing each case individually.

Edited to add: I don't normally put my ammo in boxes. Just use old plastic peanut butter jars.

Edited by Bamboo

I toss my loaded rounds into a plastic colander and pick the up six or eight at time to drop into the Hundo (Shockbottle) gauge. Eventually you learn how to grab the ammo with a light enough touch that all 6 or 8 of them land bullet down ready to be dropped into the Hundo.

I box my ammo (Production Division so rows of 10 make thinks quicker between stages). The Hundo is excellent for anyone boxing their ammo.

I also mark my cases... I can mark 100 rounds of ammo in less than 10 seconds when they're in the Hundo...

An added perk of marking your ammo in the Hundo gauge is that when you pull the Sharpie (Permanent Marker) across the back of the rounds, you'll spot any high (or low) primers.

Here's a video of how I use the Hundo (note that I wasn't going for speed in the video and "in real life" I'm able to go much faster):

Edited by razorfish

Only one I have is the 9mm EGW 7 hole and I wouldn't recommend it. I've yet to find a 147gr bullet that will work with the gauge. The bullet contacts the inside of the gauge making it look like every round won't pass the gauge, but really the gauge just won't handle a normal OAL for 147gr bullets; I'd have to load down to 1.05" OAL to work with the gauge. Some 124gr and 115gr bullets I've tried have worked with the gauge. I emailed EGW about it, but they didn't reply...

The hundo would be nice, but I can't justify the cost right now.

I use the Dillon but after seeing my buddies shock bottle its on my list. Maybe November (still need to put together a shooting cart)

Red

Craigslist... baby strollers. Get one with actual shocks and heavy duty wheels. Most expensive parts are the gun mounts. I made a pretty badass caddy for about $120 total.

• 2 weeks later...