Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which case gages do you like best?

johnson184

I check every empty sized case and every loaded round with my Sheridan gages. The only problems I've had were some 300 BLK rounds and some .30-06 rounds (M1 Garand) that wouldn't pass. The 300 was due to some "oddball" headstamped brass that was too thick and the .30-06 was due to some surplus HXP cases where the head was a little chewed up and the burrs wouldn't allow it to drop fully into the gage. In both cases, the Sheridan tipped me off that something was wrong because it's exactly sized to minimum SAAMI spec. I love those gages.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue with the EGW and 147 gr bullets not dropping in. How do they fit in the Hundo? Not hearing any complaints so I assume it works well with any bullet weight and profile?

I have EGW my 147's of various types fit,if they don't I have a problem coated bullets seem to be thicker thru out bullet,usually get loaded shorter OAL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with the EGW and 147 gr bullets not dropping in. How do they fit in the Hundo? Not hearing any complaints so I assume it works well with any bullet weight and profile?

I have EGW my 147's of various types fit,if they don't I have a problem coated bullets seem to be thicker thru out bullet,usually get loaded shorter OAL

Which 147gr bullets have you tried that worked in the EGW and at what OAL?

The only one I've found that works is Xtreme, every other 147gr I've tried needs to be loaded very short to work, around 1.05" or shorter.

I've tried about 8 different 147gr+ bullets with various profiles and all of them case gauge fine in the Hundo.

The only one I've found that works is Xtreme, every other 147gr I've tried needs to be loaded very short to work, around 1.05" or shorter.

Wouldn't diameter of sizing, be your real issue,both Blue Bullets, & Acme 147,125 all fit EGW case Guage my CZ needs a shorter OAL ,yes EGW, takes it up to 1.15 for BB 125 longer with 147 and 1,135 for Acme 147 easily

Wouldn't diameter of sizing, be your real issue,both Blue Bullets, & Acme 147,125 all fit EGW case Guage my CZ needs a shorter OAL ,yes EGW, takes it up to 1.15 for BB 125 longer with 147 and 1,135 for Acme 147 easily

Interesting, Blue Bullets and Acme were some of the 147gr I tried that would not work in my EGW 7 hole gauge. I tried with one of the Acme 147gr slowly decreasing OAL to see just how short it needed to go to fit the gauge and I had to go to 1.05". I normally load to 1.135" and they definitely don't fit.

I wonder if my gauge is slightly out of spec. I guess I'll never know since EGW refuses to answer any of my emails...

For 9, 40, and .45, I bought the Evolution Gun Works/Lee undersize die and the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I only case gauge the first 5 to 10 rounds off the press at the start of a reloading session.

I do put 50 or 100 rounds into one of those plastic flip lid boxes, with the bullets down.

That way I can check to see if any are high (too long)or have high primers.

• 2 months later...

I like the idea of the 100 rd guage but many people have had issues with some brands. Saying that the holes are not properly machined and that there's differences in seating. Some are perfect I guess it's a crap shoot. I think my Dillon single I can go pretty fast with it.

I like the idea of the 100 rd guage but many people have had issues with some brands. Saying that the holes are not properly machined and that there's differences in seating. Some are perfect I guess it's a crap shoot. I think my Dillon single I can go pretty fast with it.

The .223 gauge MUST be kept clean, if your getting more than normal rejects, probably need to blow it out. The 223 cartridge has a lot of complex angles. Pistol cal cartridges are pretty simple but still need to keep gauge clean.