Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack maj or min?

kevinm

I've been shooting SS minor all season. I doubt I'll go back to major. 9mm 1911s are just too much fun.

The only time I'd want major is for classifiers, but if my math is right, I won't even care about those anymore after the next update.

Humble brag! :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot SS minor and really like it. But this obviously depends on what you're ultimately after and where you're at with your shooting. For me, right now the extra capacity is more important than any lost points (basically trading 1 or 2 reloads per stage for a few points). Also since I was starting out. 9mm factory ammo is/was cheaper, and now 9mm brass is much more plentiful. Plus 9mm 1911 is really nice to shoot.

There was a contest the other week which had a stage with an array of 8 steel targets. The 2 extra rounds were greatly appreciated at that point. This particular contest was more challenging to plan reloads and again the extra capacity helps with that.

I don't know what .40 minor feels like to shoot - if it's anything like shooting a 9mm, AND if the 10rd mags work the same, .40 1911 would be an awesome choice. I'm looking for a second gun but I don't think the hassle of reloading both 9mm and .40 is worth it. If I was starting from scratch I think I might still go with 9mm, it seems easier.

FYI - Top 3 places at the 2015 IPSC Nationals in Classic division all shot Minor last weekend.

Todd Jarret placed 4th with a Major gun.

IPSC rules stipulates no more than 9 rounds per position, which works in the favor of Minor guns. USPSA is more balanced in requiring no more than 8 shots from a position..

IPSC rules stipulates no more than 9 rounds per position, which works in the favor of Minor guns. USPSA is more balanced in requiring no more than 8 shots from a position..

that could definitely make a diference, but in practice, it is not unusual to have 6-8 shots in one 'position', and then a couple more targets in another 'position that is only 1/2 step away. And every now and then you have the SS-hater stage designer that has an unloaded start, followed by 2-3 positions of 8 rounds through a port.

Another consideration is the use of partials and no-shoots. SS nationals for example has LOTS of targets that don't give you much of the lower a-zone, so in those situations shooting minor can hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

In local and sectional type matches, the extra 2 rounds can make a difference and be more of benefit than 8 rounds with the major PF scoring. This has been documented before at sectional and state level matches as well; I remember reading a Front Sight article about a match where quite a few SS shooters chose their 9mm pistols for the round count over the major PF scoring. If you're going to be going to SS Nationals, bring a major PF gun as the stages are designed as such. At local and even regional matches, those extra two round will put you on the same stage plan as production shooters and can make a difference. If you're going to matches with lots of steel, which are the types of matches I go to, the extra 2 rounds can make a huge difference.

Tripp Cobra 10 rounds 9mm mags are the best for any 1911 9mm from what I've seen.

Another thing to look at is how you as an individual like to shoot stages - top competitors maintain a 3/1 or even 4/1 A to non A ratio. If you are at that level, the major PF scoring is even less significant. If you love to fly through stages and have a 2/1 or even worse ratio of A to non A hits, then the extra points that major PF affords may be better for your overall score.

JMB must be turning in his grave. "Single Stack" and "minor" should be mutually exclusive. SS should be like Production but in reverse... .45ACP major PF only :roflol:

I have both due to our stupid state laws I can only shoot the .45 in the state I live in, so the minor gun is for out of state matches.

What state do you live in?

A state in AUSTRALIA

Why would JMB be turning in his grave? His original design was in 38 Auto not 45 ACP. The 45 ACP came about because the Army made that specification for the service weapon, The believed the extra stopping power of the 45 Caliber cartridge would save more lives in the trenches. So you see the original JMB designe is conducive to minor.

If you love to fly through stages and have a 2/1 or even worse ratio of A to non A hits, then the extra points that major PF affords may be better for your overall score.

yeap. that sums it up for me. I started in SS with a trojan in minor, after a few months I bumped to major and my scores went up. The added points for the couple Cs helps for me. During stage planning, if my feet were moving I was reloading anyway, so the extra 2 rounds only came in handy if I took an extra shot on a swinger or I missed steel/popper did not fall.

The payoff to me showed when I shot the lvl 1 match and placed 2nd. Had I shot with my minor gun and scored the same C hits I would have been down a few more places.

The payoff to me showed when I shot the lvl 1 match and placed 2nd. Had I shot with my minor gun and scored the same C hits I would have been down a few more places.

only if you shoot the same speed and reload in the same places. If you're going to do that shooting minor, you should definitely shoot major.

kevinm, I also don't understand why you don't just load your existing 40 to Minor and try it. Reloading for 40 is peanuts more than reloading for 9mm, and you get the benfit of using the same gun for both. Currently I use 180gr bullets and load to 144PF and 172PF. Both shoot to the same POI. To top it off, my 144PF 40 loads shoot softer than similar 9mm loads.

Edited by zzt

Reloading for 40 is peanuts more than reloading for 9mm, and you get the benfit of using the same gun for both.

what planet do you live on where not getting to buy more guns is a 'benefit'? Was that your wife's idea? :devil:

Edited by motosapiens

Reloading for 40 is peanuts more than reloading for 9mm, and you get the benfit of using the same gun for both.

what planet do you live on where not getting to buy more guns is a 'benefit'? Was that your wife's idea? [emoji317]
I don't see the benefit of shooting two loads thru the same gun. You'd need to swap springs, and eventually you'd find yourself with the wrong ones in there. I'm very particular about my zero and I can see elevation changes with smaller changes in my load than 40 power factor.

Seems to me having two guns completely dialed into their own load would be a real benefit.

kevinm, I also don't understand why you don't just load your existing 40 to Minor and try it. Reloading for 40 is peanuts more than reloading for 9mm, and you get the benfit of using the same gun for both. Currently I use 180gr bullets and load to 144PF and 172PF. Both shoot to the same POI. To top it off, my 144PF 40 loads shoot softer than similar 9mm loads.

have to buy new mags and trying to talk myself into a new gun....

I have a really nice 9mm 1911 about to go on the sales block.....just sayin' :devil:

I have a really nice 9mm 1911 about to go on the sales block.....just sayin' :devil:

Man, you never keep a gun!

PatJones, maybe I'm just lucky. I run a 14lb spring and both the 180gr loads (144 & 172PF) run and eject just fine. POI is either identical, or so close I can't tell.

moto, I'm all for buying more guns. In fact, I practice what I preach. I have the parts for a third custom 1911 45ACP on the way right now.

kev, if you want another gun, go for it. I'm just suggesting the the 40 SS you now have would make a better minor gun than a 9mm would.

I tried shooting minor for a while with a .40 2011 Eagle (for IDPA and 3-gun). I also did the same with a Glock 35 (shot minor with it in Prod). While .40 minor is soft, I didn't like how it felt. So eventually I had a 9mm 2011 built for 3-gun and sold the G35 for a G34. Basically I came to the conclusion that if I'm going to shoot minor it might as well be in 9mm, not a downloaded .40. Maybe had I tried some lighter weight .40 bullets my impression may have been different, but then again maybe I just wanted some new guns...

So currently I'm accumulating parts to build a 9mm minor 1911 to go along with my .40 major 1911. Club matches I can see shooting 9mm minor a lot. Major matches... to be determined and maybe I'll have both with me and decide on the day of the match after taking a look at the stages.

what you got?

if you shoot SS nationals or the western state single stack, then run major as the stages are set up for a 8 shot gun. If you shoot a Area championship or a sectional, then run minor as they are set up for a limited/open type guns. When all else fails, take both and look at all the stages and decide with one would be more beneficial to run before you check in at registration and then change our power factor at that time

Is is possible to get a .40 minor gun with 10 round magazines to fit in the box?

Yes. Tripp "System" mags with the flex follower.

So I shoot 10mm Tripp Corey System mags with my .40 SS SVI. Break them in, keep them clean, and they work just great.

I can stuff 10 rounds in them, but it's a really tight fit and the rounds are so packed in there that it makes it hard to the mag to lock into the pistol. Tripp (who has just fantastic customer service) says the solution is to just go with a one coil shorter mag spring and they sell those.

So if you did decide to go Tripp (a good call), I'd just call them up and discuss what you are going to do with them and they will help figure out what you need. That's what I did with my mags and I'm very happy with the results and their service.

• 3 weeks later...