Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack maj or min?

kevinm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 rounds-per-mag (Wilson ETMs) of .45 ACP, major (factory) loads.

.40 and 9mm are working out very well for some of our club's other SS guys. I'm not married to .45 but I'll stick with it for a while, at least until after I've been reloading for a few months.

Edited by GunBugBit

I really like shooting 9mm 1911. You have to improve your ratio of As to everything else - period. Shooting minor pushes you towards accuracy, but you still must maintain your speed. So its a balance game. You just cant accept a large number of Cs or take all day to shoot a stage.

When I first started,I was running around 128-29 PF and the gun sort of loped along. I have since pushed the PF to 135 with 124 jacketed. You want to keep the slide moving and recoiling the same and quickly. Loping along is fun and lazy, but it is not fast. With 10 round mags you can pretty much follow a production mindset on stage breakdown. Some matches the 10/8 difference is no biggie, others 8 round major is going to eat you.

Two SA 1911 NM and a STI Trogan.

Dawson 10 round mags and SA 9 round mags with Dawson base plates.

Guns run perfect.

I've got a trojan 45 and USPSA in 9. Going to pick up another 9mm as a backup.

I've shot a bunch of both major and minor this year. It's hard to tell a difference score-wise. Some stages I get a little better breakdown, but sometimes a few extra points (or more speed for the same points on partials) would be nice. Shooting against the same people, i have had good days and bad days with both guns, but minor at least lets me compare strategies and scores with the production guys.

I shoot 9mm minor and enjoy it. If I were going to shoot Single Stack in more major matches I'd probably get a .40 with 10 round mags, load both major and minor and pick which to shoot based on the stages at each match. But since I'm mostly shooting it in local matches I'm fine with just 9mm and makes it easy to switch between that and Production.

but minor at least lets me compare strategies and scores with the production guys.

I also like being able to compare my scores in Single Stack minor to Production shooters in the combined results since there are often not a lot of Single Stack shooters at local matches.

What you shoot? I'm shooting 40 major right now.

Thinking of getting a 9mm 1911

why is this? Do you need the extra shots?
no don't need extra , just thinking of the extra money in reloading g 40 over 9

JMB must be turning in his grave. "Single Stack" and "minor" should be mutually exclusive. SS should be like Production but in reverse... .45ACP major PF only :roflol:

I have both due to our stupid state laws I can only shoot the .45 in the state I live in, so the minor gun is for out of state matches.

What state do you live in?

A state in AUSTRALIA

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I've been shooting SS minor all season. I doubt I'll go back to major. 9mm 1911s are just too much fun.

The only time I'd want major is for classifiers, but if my math is right, I won't even care about those anymore after the next update.