Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo: Slow and Large or Fast and Light for 9mm Production

leam

I've been shooting a .45 with a 230 making Major for a while, and am moving to a 9mm in Production. When planning a load, assuming the planned load doesn't push SAMMI specs and cycles the slide reliably, is it better for a lighter bullet going faster or a heavier one going a little slower?

I'll be shooting a Sig P320. Brand new and loving it! My matches have historically been slow shooting because I spend too much time ensuring the sight's are on target. That's one of the big challenges I'm working to overcome. When the sights are on the gun goes boom. That's the ticket.

I haven't shot Production with a 9mm in years. I love the minimal recoil and large holes made by my G21SF, G30SF, or my G41. To get the slide to function, my PF is around 145, so I never worry about going Sub-Minor. I'll be shooting my G21 in Carry Optics this Sunday.

post-14692-0-24481200-1440509932_thumb.j

I started last fall with 125's, then when for the heavy bullets (147's) and liked them. But I shoot a lot and the cost advantage of the 125's was too great to overcome.

To be honest, it's very hard to tell the difference.

To me it's about cost.

Heavier and slower feels softer in the hand, but the muzzle rises more than lighter and faster, and it takes a touch more time to return.

In 9mm, I preferred the speed of lighter and faster, but I had problems with poorly or uncalibrated steel. So I used either factory 147 @ 144PF, or custom loaded 124s at 142PF. The 147s did a much better job on steel. I never had to double tap with them to get the steel to fall. Also, the steel falls faster. IMO, that is important if the falling steel activates another target, especially the disappearing ones.

I think the type of gun you are going to shoot plays a little into the equation. I like the snappy feeling of 124's in production, and I shoot a 34. Most people use 147's, and I would stay away from the 115's a little weak to knock down steel.

+1

I would just try 124 and 147 and see which is more accurate in your gun. Agree steel doesn't go down as well with 115 although I end up using walmart 115 often enough for local matches when I have been to lazy to load.

Eric

I started last fall with 125's, then when for the heavy bullets (147's) and liked them. But I shoot a lot and the cost advantage of the 125's was too great to overcome.

To be honest, it's very hard to tell the difference.

To me it's about cost.

I was shooting 124's, and wanted to try 147's. I went through a case of them and really couldn't tell much difference, either (both loaded to ~136PF). Both knocked steel down easily, even on shots several inches below the calibration zone. I went back to the 124's for the economy of it. A case of 147's was 3000 vs the 124's at 3500, so ~17% more bullets for ~5% more in price.

I started last fall with 125's, then when for the heavy bullets (147's) and liked them. But I shoot a lot and the cost advantage of the 125's was too great to overcome.To be honest, it's very hard to tell the difference.To me it's about cost.

I was shooting 124's, and wanted to try 147's. I went through a case of them and really couldn't tell much difference, either (both loaded to ~136PF). Both knocked steel down easily, even on shots several inches below the calibration zone. I went back to the 124's for the economy of it. A case of 147's was 3000 vs the 124's at 3500, so ~17% more bullets for ~5% more in price.

Same results and reasoning I had

I've been testing some xtreme 165's in my stock 2 with 2.8gr TG at 133pf. The gun has almost no recoil with a tight grip and a 10lb recoil spring. However I think I will try a 9lb because my brass was barely going 3 feet.

Thanks all! I think the 147s will be the way to go for me. Folks also seem to like VV N320 so that's on the list as well. Moving forward!

I know several guys who love that stuff, but it can be really hard to find. Can't hurt to have a backup load for a more available powder.

If you're going to be shooting a P320 give 124/125gr bullets a try. When I first got mine I shot 147s over Titegroup through it and they shot very accurately and felt pretty good, but circumstances led me to try some 124s in it and I haven't looked back. The 124/125s shoot just as accurately as 147s, but the gun shoots so much flatter. The sights track so beautifully. The 124/125s paired with a Grayguns FAT Guide Rod and a 14 or 15 pound recoil spring have been the ticket for me.

I shoot X-treme 147's in my Accu Shadow and while they feel less snappy than 124's they don't group as well. I've shot their 147/124's back to back and found the 124's to be more accurate. That said I'm down to about 5K of my 147's and will be moving to 135's for a change