Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first DQ

DedOn

So on the 4th stage of my local match, after the last target which was hidden behind a wall and you had to lean to engage it, I fell forward out of the box and my gun broke the 180 by about 2 degrees and it was all over for me. The RO almost didn't want to DQ me as it was just a local match and it was barely over the 180, but i told him rules are rules and they are only there to keep everyone safe. Everybody was like dont worry about it, it happens to everybody. One of the guys even told me about how when Bob Vogul was out at the same range and got DQ'd at a major match he was working. All in all it was a good learning experience for me and it will be something that I consciously think about in my stage planning from now on.

Rick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hopefully you will be able to change the title of this post to "My one and only, and last, DQ". :cheers:

If you don't quit and do keep pushing I think you can count on the occasional DQ.

Many examples out there of pro's who still have the unfortunate experiences at this or that match. At my last match, two very good shooters and very experienced R.O.'s DQ'd.

Got my first. leaned through a port to shoot down range. as I pulled back out and started heading down range my muzzle caught the port wall. RO didn't even call it. Someone behind him did as his angle was bad. RO wasn't sure so I asked the two dudes who saw it and they both said yea just barely but past 180.

I was 8 shots in to the match and ended up ROing the rest of the day.

Well, got that over with.

Guess it's therapeutic to vent!

Edited by muddywings

Got my first. leaned through a port to shoot down range. as I pulled back out and started heading down range my muzzle caught the port wall. RO didn't even call it. Someone behind him did as his angle was bad. RO wasn't sure so I asked the two dudes who saw it and they both said yea just barely but past 180.

Maybe you earned a dq and maybe you didn't, I was in the same situation and got a 180 call from the cheap seats that turned out to be close but only that when I saw it on video later. People tend to panic when you start taking 95% of the 180 degrees that you own and tend to call 160's .

After review my take aways were;

Work more on never getting too close to the 180

If you are not running the shooter or the timer then there is no reason for you to try and make borderline calls from the sidelines

If you are the shooter and the r.o. didn't call it and there is any doubt then just keep shooting and enjoy the match.

Maybe you earned a dq and maybe you didn't, I was in the same situation and got a 180 call from the cheap seats that turned out to be close but only that when I saw it on video later. People tend to panic when you start taking 95% of the 180 degrees that you own and tend to call 160's .

After review my take aways were;

Work more on never getting too close to the 180

If you are not running the shooter or the timer then there is no reason for you to try and make borderline calls from the sidelines

If you are the shooter and the r.o. didn't call it and there is any doubt then just keep shooting and enjoy the match.

I generally never get close to 180s (I've scratched 180 markers in dirt so I know where I can post up if need to) but it was more of a function of the port wall hanging the muzzle up. AND I prefer to not get in ports-it takes time to get in and out. This case, it was easier to hit an array further down the berm by going in then trying to shoot over no-shoots (and I'm on the short side).

I had actually continued on but hesitated (damm amplified ear muffs) when I heard the 180 call cause I didn't know who said it. I didn't think i busted it but knew I was close. The RO stopped me and was just going to let me reshoot. When the two who saw it walked up. If it was one person I'd probably have deferred to the RO and if it was a money match I would have let the RO sit in the hot seat and make the call. I felt it was just best to take the DQ out of good sportsmanship.

I ended up DQing someone else later in the day for 180 with pulling a shotgun out of a barrel.

Had a real stupid one today, buzzer went off turned, draw, brought my support hand in to complete grip, knocked gun out of strong hand??? so embarrassing, did stay to help tape some,but left early, had tough time dealing with my stupidity. Adrenaline went against me, along with poor grip.

My first and only DC in 6 years of competition shooting came two years ago when I got my first custom build with a 2lb trigger. While on the move my finger just touched the trigger and it went off into the berm.

Just had my first DQ the other night. Reloading on the move and somehow managed to touch the trigger. I have a 2lb trigger too, been shooting with it for several months and haven't had an issue. Weird thing is the oversize button on my mag catch was gone when I went to unload and show clear. I'm thinking that might have changed the geometry of the gun in my hand when I was doing my reload. Not sure but definitely learned a lesson on trigger finger placement.

I have a 2lb trigger too

I used to infrequently let a shot go before I was ready, not a dq thing but a mike or delta thing. Bumped the weight up to help with this.

I think I have learned that installing a shorter trigger might have been more effective, the problem happened with 2011's with medium length triggers (relatively long trigger finger reach), now shooting a cz 75 with 2lb trigger (very short finger reach very short pre travel) and I do not even seem to come close to pulling the trigger before I'm ready.

Not the same thing as trigger finger out discipline when not shooting, but a for what it is worth.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Just had my first DQ the other night. Reloading on the move and somehow managed to touch the trigger. I have a 2lb trigger too, been shooting with it for several months and haven't had an issue. Weird thing is the oversize button on my mag catch was gone when I went to unload and show clear. I'm thinking that might have changed the geometry of the gun in my hand when I was doing my reload. Not sure but definitely learned a lesson on trigger finger placement.

Welcome to the DQ club.

Such lessons learned are not so easily forgotten (hopefully).

With any luck everyone there learned the same lesson as you have served as an example of what NOT to do.

I too have learned from the mistakes of others.

I have also provided examples of what NOT to do for others.

There are 4 kinds of competitive shooters:

Those that have been DQed.

Those that have not.

Those that will be.

Those that should have been.

Edited by RPatton

RPatton - That's the first time somebody has acknowledged that not everybody gets DQd. (Unless there's hard data to the contrary.)

That said, we should all be conscious of safety, all of the time. The DQ is usually a notification that either our concentration slipped or our procedures weren't right. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire...

RPatton - That's the first time somebody has acknowledged that not everybody gets DQd. (Unless there's hard data to the contrary.)

There is a lot of recognition that some folks haven't been dq'd yet though :) .

I wonder if there are any big name shooters out there who never had to quit early?

Had a guy DQ after his last shot at a local last Saturday. Last shot was on a hard lean around a wall. He turned back towards the side of the bay to holster his pistol, started to walk downrange before his gun was up, missed his holster, pointed the gun at the guy running the nook. Told a couple of other people on the squad "the gun was unloaded".

That's The Basic Statement of Ignorance, "it's okay I just did that dumb-ass thing - the gun wasn't loaded". Apparently his brain was out of ammo, as well.

He needs to re-read Jeff Cooper's rules 1 and 2, and take them seriously.

There is a lot of recognition that some folks haven't been dq'd yet though :) .

I wonder if there are any big name shooters out there who never had to quit early?

I can't imagine anyone that competes frequently not making the list. Accidents/mistakes are going to happen.

Edited by BryanHoover

Weekly match. Shot my BUG gun for practice for upcoming S&W BUG nationals .

Long story short , on reload I've knocked my gun out of my right hand with the magazine in my left. Gun on the ground , DQ'd , packed my crap and left before they'd have chance to pick on me. Lol

Had a guy DQ after his last shot at a local last Saturday. Last shot was on a hard lean around a wall. He turned back towards the side of the bay to holster his pistol, started to walk downrange before his gun was up, missed his holster, pointed the gun at the guy running the nook. Told a couple of other people on the squad "the gun was unloaded".

That's why I refuse to go to any more GSSF matches. It's gun point at you city, and no one cares because "they're just there to have fun".

DQs happen even to the best shooters. It's how you handle it that counts. I admire the guy/gal that then ROs instead of sulking away.

A DQ is a harsh learning experience but a good lesson teacher. You will probably never do that again.