Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not enjoying open as much as I thought I would

wblacksh

Well I thought I would enjoy open division shooting my new Trubor more than I do. I find myself still liking my iron sight guns better. Has anyone else experienced this? I just invested a bunch of money a few months ago and am not sure I want to continue with shooting open and may go back to shooting production division. If I decide to sell my open setup, is the forum classifieds the best place to place the stuff or does the gun broker website work good too? I have only bought a few things on gun broker, but never sold anything.

Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: What is the problem? Open is not as easy as people think it is. They figure a dot just makes the whole thing easier. Put the dot on paper and pull the trigger. It is not that easy. You have to learn to shoot a little different with both eyes open and more target focused. The quickness of the slide cycle and the noise effects some to cause a flinch. If you tell us what you are not liking maybe we can help you out. I shoot all different guns, maybe to often but I do enjoy shooting them all. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

To be honest I had a red dot on my M&P core that I played around with and I liked that. So I thought I would like shooting a full on open gun. I enjoy all the reloads in production since I can only put 10 rounds in a mag instead of 27. I also enjoy the stage breakdown part of it and my strategy of when to do reloads. With my open gun, most stages I shoot don't require a reload unless I miss a bunch. At the matches I shoot at there are also a lot more people shooting production or limited. Usually only a few shooting open. I enjoy that part of it too (shooting against people on the squad that have similar equipment).

I have only been shooting for about 9-10 months or so and I think I jumped the gun (no pun intended) getting into open too soon. I saw those fancy wiz-bang futuristic blasters and just had to have me one. I find myself enjoying the production division more. I just actually got a CZ for production division after the open gun so I will be shooting it for a while.

Hello: What is the problem? Open is not as easy as people think it is. They figure a dot just makes the whole thing easier. Put the dot on paper and pull the trigger. It is not that easy. You have to learn to shoot a little different with both eyes open and more target focused. The quickness of the slide cycle and the noise effects some to cause a flinch. If you tell us what you are not liking maybe we can help you out. I shoot all different guns, maybe to often but I do enjoy shooting them all. Thanks, Eric

I love shooting the dot and I don't have any issue with both eyes focused on the target. I did find it tricky to shoot fast with the dot because I always tried to track it up and down on each shot and time it just right for the second shot. I realized that because of the comp and my grip I could pretty much double tap it and get an A on the first shot and a B/C on the second shot (sometimes even a second A). If I get Ds i know i need to slow down some. I was working on trying to be able to get mostly A/B shots and tried a few different amounts of grip and got it worked out pretty good.

well you could just pretend you live in one of those communist mag capacity limited states and just load all your mags to 10 rds ... not much you can do about not many open shooters unless you're willing to go look for other matches. I shoot 2 open divisions in Steel Challenge and Production in USPSA. I love shooting open and the ability to do anything I want to my guns. I also love shooting my Shadow in Production, different challenges for both.

Nothing wrong with liking Production better, open is just another division, not someplace all shooters must end up in ...

Sorry to hear you do not like open but you're not the first person I've heard try open and decided it was not their cup of tea. I feel the same way about production.

As for your question, compared to GunBroker, you will get more interest for your gear here on the Enos forum. Outside of the sport, not much interest in highly sophisticated state of the are comped and dotted blasters. The folks here all have a better handle on just how expensive these guns are to acquire.

Someone not familiar with USPSA/IPSC competition might just thumb through Amazon and get the prices for a Taiwan red dot, a High Point pistol and decide that's what you gun is really worth.

Bill

Since you are already used to shooting with a dot on your M&P it could simply be that Open isn't for you now. (wait till your eyes turn to crap). Seriously though, Open isn't the most fun for everyone. Shoot what you enjoy. My wife won't even pick up a gun that doesn't have a battery and my best friend who owns a half dozen Open pistols always shoots irons.

Edited by Neomet

Hello: I suggest you go back to shooting production for 3 months then decide what you are going to do. If the enjoyment is there with production keep shooting it and sell off the Open gun. If it is not fun you won't want to do it for a long time. I have seen this in lots of different sports I played. Thanks, Eric

If you miss reloading, I don't think there is much you can do.

But, stage break down to me is still very important in open, it's just different. Your stage times need to be faster, you have more ammo so you aren't reloading on the move. To me that means I should be shooting on the move. I need to eliminate making unnecessary stops at shooting positions. Be efficient and always be shooting, you can't afford to loose time anywhere.

What kind of overall %'s are you getting? could maybe be a part of it? Open is a tough class, I can see the transititon from production beeing hard, with that said, lots of good prod guys.

I'm the opposite. At first I hated open because I can't find the red dot as opposed to irons which were always there. It took me about a month to get used to it and now I don't want to go back to production. Maybe because your local matches are geared more for iron shooters the stages reflect that as well. Try building stages (or ask for it) with targets further back or ones where you need more precise shooting where the open guns shine.

If you can take both to the range one afternoon,I suggest you try and run two plate racks, back to back with a ten round blaster, and your new open gun. See how you track your sights across the plates at speed, and then try that with the dot. I think I really saw the allure of the open gun running back to back plate racks. While I really like production, much like you, I think it was really pushing the limits of my vision with the dot that began to open my eyes to the possibilities of speed with the dot. Being that there is less focus on reloads, there is then more focus on pure speed of vision, and relentless acquisition of the next target. You begin to see that there is a rush knocking down 12 in the time it takes you to run 6 and not even complete the reload with the stock gun.

Don't give up on it until you wring it out quite a bit. You will probably see after the adjustments, that you really do like it.

Edited by JimmyZip

So, if you miss reloading, just put 10 rounds into your 170mm mag and reload your Trubor to your heart's content! :D

I'm kidding, of course.

In all seriousness, if you're not completely satisfied with open division, then don't shoot it. It's not my cup-of-tea either.

Give it a little more time. I had to get use to the recoil, muzzle blast and red dot but after shooting it in a couple of matches, I was in love, I love shooting my .40 Gold Team at steel plates. I love the muzzle blast that makes the RO's wince. I love the choo choo train type smoke raising up from the comp. And I love the push of 8.5 gr. of Autocomp against the palm of my hand with just a bit of muzzle rise. I love watching the red dot dance from plate to plate, squeezing the trigger just as the dot touches the plate. I love having 21 rounds at my beck and call. And I love watching other competitors shoot their open guns. Did I tell you I love shooting my open gun?

PS. And if she's reading this, I love my wife for letting me purchase my open gun.

I wouldn't give up on open just yet. Try shooting it for a year, to gain speed & fluid shooting. After that point, if you decide to go back to production, you will be able to bring that back to the division. Just look at how a number of high level open shooters (JJ, Jarrett, & Eric G.) have brought open speed to reduced capacity divisions. You may not derive the same level of satisfaction from shooting open, but you wil learn a lot of skills that will make you a better shooter.

I thought when I first started shooting my open gun my times and scores would automatically improve. Well, it didn't happen and I was a little disappointed. But after shooting for about a month, I did see my scores and times gradually improve. The biggest thing I noticed was how much more consistent my shooting has become.

Edited by Big Nick

Nick,

I just started shooting uspsa production a few months ago. I can relate to seeing all of the custom open and limited guns. I sometimes get jealous when a person doesn't have to reload through a COF. I like to acquire toys and I'm having a hard time telling myself to just focus on production for right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes some getting used to and a little science to find the rite bullet,powder combo once you get that rite then wooooo baby you have yourself a flat shooter with min muzzle rise if any and you will be on target faster and the dots easier to track sounds to me like your getting too much movement in your open set up there are many recipes on here experiment before you give it up big investment to just walk away you can shoot minor too and with the rite combo it will feel like your shooting .22lr !

Give it time. It takes a little time to get used to a red dot. Practice bringing the pistol up so that you pick up the dot instantly. When you can do that all the time, practice shooting so that the dot always comes back to the same spot. You may have to change your hold and hand positions to make that happen. Once you do, you can time the second shot and fire without consciously aiming.

When I took up pistol shooting again I quickly found out my eyes were bad. I cannot see the front sight without optical aids. When I use them, I have trouble aiming at any target smaller than a full USPSA target, because everything except the sight is a blur. So I went to red dots early. I competed with my 45 using 8 and 10-round mags and won my share of club events. Now, all my pistols wear them except for my Limited gun. I love them. I just bought a compensated upper for it and mounted a red dot. If I get it running right, I'll switch from Limited to Open just so I can see clearly what I am shooting at.

I recently bought a used open gun and didn't have time to do a trigger job prior to heading out. It was ok. After that match I reduced the trigger pull significantly and the next match was awesome and super fun.

Maybe a little tweak here and there and you'll fall in love....