Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What type of Shotshells do you use for 3 Gun?

RWatts

I'm sure this is been covered before, but I was curious what type of shale you use. Not so much the brand but what the configuration he is. I usually use 1 1/8 ,7 1/2 shot. But then I got to think that maybe this is overkill, that a 1 ounce load would work just fine. I know some of you guys have More time and I'm sure you've done testing.

Ask a few people, get a few opinions...

That said, I have "standardized" on exactly what you said; 1.125 oz 7.5 shot. I always have some heavier ammo with me in case I encounter stages where it might be needed. If you shoot matches that use smaller, lighter knock-down steel or lots of clays, you might consider 1oz loads of 8's. Just depends on what is needed to defeat the targets you encounter most often and what runs reliably in your particular shotgun.

Lol I used Siri to post for me because I was driving....looks like a 2nd grader wrote the first post...

My wife has shown some interest in shooting with me, I think the 1oz load will be a little easier on the shoulder.

3 dram 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 or 8 federal. First choice is Wally World bulk pack, failing that federal top gun by the case. Recently picked up the Remington gun club equivalent to try as the area cabelas usually has them on the shelf and Wally World bulk packs have been hit or miss.

I personally prefer a heavier load such as the Winchester AA Super Handicap #7.5 or 8. It's mostly a throwback to my SLP days when that's all it would reliably eat. They sure do knock down steel with authority which is why I stick with them....and my M2 likes them also.

Rwatts have you priced reloading components for shot shells lately?. It may be cheaper to buy them versus rolling your own. Shot is about $45-$50 for 25lbs. At 1 1/8 your only getting 355 per bag.

My guess is that it is about $.24 per round to reload and that assumes you have the hulls. That's about $6 per box vs $5.50 I can buy them for.

The breakdown per round is as follows:

Shot $.13

Wad $.02

Primer $.03

Powder $.06

I gave up shot shell reloading years ago, just not worth it IMHO.

For me, remington's gun club 1 1/8th 7 1/2 at 1200fps have done everything I've ever asked of them. Sometimes I haven't done my part, but the shot has always been awesome.

I think that the Reload SG vs Buy SG depends upon what load you want or need to shoot and what brand you buy.

AA runs a LOT more than $55 a case and I can load not counting hulls for about $50-$55 a case. Best I can buy is $60 for Wally World IF I can find it. On occasion Cabelas runs a sale. If I see it I buy it, but especially for practice where I can reclaim most of my hulls I reload.

All that said, 1-1/8 ounce at about 1200 FPS works my Stoeger just fine. I may see just how light I can go because why not.

I buy AAs for $53/case during rebate season. that doesn't include 7% sales tax but I sell the hulls so it more than makes up for that.

Fill me in (no one else!) on when where to get AA at $53 a case! even with tax that is awesome!

Yes Sir, you are close on your numbers, but I happen to work in the Gun industry, so I get my components at cost. I can also get reclaimed lead here at the range for $15.00 per 25 pound bag. But I can also buy factory ammo cheaper so I still need to really look at the numbers.

his numbers work if he works in the industry or has a contact who will willing to let him buy AA's at cost. Winchester does limit the rebate to 50 boxes per houseold, so if you buy more than that you have to have the check sent to friends houses.

I buy AAs for $53/case during rebate season. that doesn't include 7% sales tax but I sell the hulls so it more than makes up for that.

Fill me in (no one else!) on when where to get AA at $53 a case! even with tax that is awesome!

my local store sells cases for $73. rebate season starts around end of spring for $20/case for up to 5 cases. that lasts me through the year.

I like 1 1/8 with 9 shot. I shot a match a few years ago that had charcoal briquettes for targets. I'm positive that I centered several of those in the pattern of the 7.5's I was shooting, but the target wasn't touched. 9's give a denser pattern, and seem to take down steel just as well as larger shot. If I can't find 9 I get 8's.

Dicks just had a sale, $54 a case, found out late so all I got was one case of 7-1/2 1-1/8. Went to another store, they had 2-3/4 dram 1 ounce. Figured I see if they'd work. I have to admit that I was surprised, Rio ran my Stoeger.

But for all that I'll be watching for the rebates on AA. 10 cases will run a whole season and I can use my other ammo for practice.