Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What type of Shotshells do you use for 3 Gun?

RWatts

RWatts, if you want to load your own, make sure you inspect your loads very carefully for proper crimp and any hull bulges. It isn't like running a break action shotgun on a trap skeet or other clays range. You are jamming shells in and pumping them out as fast as you can. You are grabbing shells four at a time. In this instance I personally don't feel reloads are worth taking the chance on.

like others above have indicated, I no longer reload my shotgun ammo either.

wg

I like 1 1/8 with 9 shot. I shot a match a few years ago that had charcoal briquettes for targets. I'm positive that I centered several of those in the pattern of the 7.5's I was shooting, but the target wasn't touched. 9's give a denser pattern, and seem to take down steel just as well as larger shot. If I can't find 9 I get 8's.

I was always afraid that if I made a less than perfect shot and was not center of the pattern the 9's would not have enough mass to knock steel down.

RWatts, if you want to load your own, make sure you inspect your loads very carefully for proper crimp and any hull bulges. It isn't like running a break action shotgun on a trap skeet or other clays range. You are jamming shells in and pumping them out as fast as you can. You are grabbing shells four at a time. In this instance I personally don't feel reloads are worth taking the chance on.

like others above have indicated, I no longer reload my shotgun ammo either.

wg

I guess between the rebates and selling hulls it still wouldn't make sense to reload...and you are right as fast as I am I can't afford any bulges...lol

• 2 weeks later...

I would just run 7.5 or 8 shot for everything. The 7.5 and 8s have plenty of pattern coverage for a full face target. I don't see it being worth it to try and load 9s for clays and 7.5 -8 for steel. I would pick a shell and use it for everything

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for wally world bulk pack Federals. I used to segregate 7.5's and 8's but then I got a wild hair and patterned them and they were so identical I actually cut some shells open to see if the shot was actually different. After that, I just run them interchangeably (even within the same tube) and really don't notice the difference.

I do also load my own, but that is 99% slugs and buck, where the savings is drastic rather than marginal. I even cooked up a neat duplex 0 buck+ 7.5'shot load for the odd random stage that you needed both, and got caught with the wrong ones actually in the gun, so they would at least sorta work.

In practice, I never could get them consistent, and I never actually used them in a match, but that idea does illustrate the versatility of loading your own...