Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best sight for aging eyes

gzo

I am having problems with seeing the front sight any more and was looking at the following sights

XSSight

http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993740&CAT=8386

or

Advantage Tactical

http://www.advantagetactical.com/

Has anyone tried these and are they a good solution or gimmick? My concern is with the longer shots on the small steel targets.

You can do something like this using regular glow paint on standard sights:

Just use green on the rear blades and yellow or orange on the front blade. I have it on my 686 defense gun. I use "glow paint" that glows after light is shined on it.

Tritium sights are OK. My main gripe is they are very expensive and fade out after a few years.

post-271-0-82276900-1426280098_thumb.jpg

I am having problems with seeing the front sight any more and was looking at the following sights

XSSight

or

Advantage Tactical

Has anyone tried these and are they a good solution or gimmick? My concern is with the longer shots on the small steel targets.

Those sights are horrible for long accurate shooting fast. Dawson fiber optic front and rear for irons or a red dot sight for and optic.

I've gone to a narrower frt sight which gives slightly larger light bars on both sides of the front sight.

It is very accurate at longer ranges on small targets and is faster on the targets on the timer

ChaLee wrote a good article on this form I think it might be in the gear section

I'm 68 and have had a hard time seeing the sights for a while. For open sights I prefer the Hi Viz green FO with the medium fiber. Green gives me a sharp dot. Red fo is fuzzy. I probably should go with an electronic red dot sighted open gun but won't. I have an XS big dot on a CCW but would advise against it for comp.

FWIW

Richard

Im 52 and wear reading glasses. I struggled with this for some time before the lightbulb came on. It wasn't the front sight that needed replacement, it was my shooting glasses. I got some made with a very mild reading prescription and it is just enough to make the front sight nice and clear. The really cool thing about it is that the targets are just slightly out of focus all the time, but not so bad as to not identify them correctly or effect my sight picture in any way while running a stage. Scince the front sight is farther away than your typical reading distance you don't need near the same power for the lens correction. Hope this helps someone.

I need prescription glasses for distance and reading. I use a red dot (Burris FFIII) whenever possible. However, I want to shoot in some competitions when only iron sights are allowed. I currently use a .040" dia red FO front and a fixed rear. I put one of those stick on diopter reading inserts designed to turn your glasses into bifocals on the right lens, but upside down at the top. That way I can tilt my head down slightly, see the front and rear sights and fire. Since the bottom is still my distance prescription, I can see, run, etc. with no problem.

Today at a pin match, I was asked to shoot a buddy's iron sighted gun. I had already removed my insert, but shot it anyway. He had a much larger diameter FO on the front, and it was easy to see even without by reader insert.

The fastest iron sights I've ever used were a FO front with a Warren tactical rear. For some reason, the dot is much easier to center in the wide rear U notch. Also, you have a wonderful view of the surroundings. They don't make on for the cutout in my slide or I'd already have one.

I agree the red dot is the best! But that C-More is kind of big on my carry gun so I tried a set of the Trijicon HD sights the other day on an HK, these are really nice. Have the U in the rear sight like the Warren Tactical but have florescent paint with the tritium front sight, the rear tritium is not noticeable in normal light so it doesn't distract your concentration from the front sight.

I have fiber optic tubes on the front of a lot of my iron sighted guns but don’t like the idea of fiber optic on my carry gun, figured if I ever needed to use it the rod would probably be broken.

Im 52 and wear reading glasses. I struggled with this for some time before the lightbulb came on. It wasn't the front sight that needed replacement, it was my shooting glasses. I got some made with a very mild reading prescription and it is just enough to make the front sight nice and clear. The really cool thing about it is that the targets are just slightly out of focus all the time, but not so bad as to not identify them correctly or effect my sight picture in any way while running a stage. Scince the front sight is farther away than your typical reading distance you don't need near the same power for the lens correction. Hope this helps someone.

IMO this is correct. Also, you really don't need to see the FS clearly....you just need to focus on it! As long as your focus comes back to the FS or the corners of the FS, when you break the shot, the hit will be there. Even if your not seeing the FS clearly, all that really matters is that YOUR FOCUS comes back to the FS, the millisecond you break the shot! This is what is meant by :seeing what I needed to see". More often we think, we are focusing on the FS, but really our focus is on the target through the sights.

Focusing or seeing the corners of the FS, for that small instant, when we press the trigger, ensures that our focus is really on the FS, regardless it is clearly in focus or not. "seeing what I needed to see...no more, no less".

FWIW, this has been my experience.

Edited by kimberacp

I am having problems with seeing the front sight any

more and was looking at the following sights

XSSight

or

Advantage Tactical

Those sights are horrible for long accurate shooting fast. Dawson fiber optic front and rear for irons or a red dot sight for and optic.

+1. Dawson has the best in my opinion due to the recessed fiber on the front which makes it much clearer to my 46 year old eyes. Cmore is better of course but for irons Dawson has my vote.

I have to agree that my open guns red-dot is easy, but just love shooting the old iron sights.

I also feared the XS sight might make my mind think its still shooting open and not let it settle in the shallow notch.

I need prescription glasses for distance and reading. I use a red dot (Burris FFIII) whenever possible. However, I want to shoot in some competitions when only iron sights are allowed. I currently use a .040" dia red FO front and a fixed rear. I put one of those stick on diopter reading inserts designed to turn your glasses into bifocals on the right lens, but upside down at the top. That way I can tilt my head down slightly, see the front and rear sights and fire. Since the bottom is still my distance prescription, I can see, run, etc. with no problem.

Today at a pin match, I was asked to shoot a buddy's iron sighted gun. I had already removed my insert, but shot it anyway. He had a much larger diameter FO on the front, and it was easy to see even without by reader insert.

The fastest iron sights I've ever used were a FO front with a Warren tactical rear. For some reason, the dot is much easier to center in the wide rear U notch. Also, you have a wonderful view of the surroundings. They don't make on for the cutout in my slide or I'd already have one.

I have an old Government model 45 1911 with very low fixed sights that I seem to be able to get back on target with. I was thinking the STI Adjustable Night Sight Set 1911 with the Bo-Mar cut Rear. But I like you idea of the U notch.

I had Advantage tactical sights on my XDM 4.5 for a while. They were really pretty good and I could easily see them without glasses.

Very quick to line up horizontally, a little more difficult for vertical.

I went to a fiber front and standard rear, not because I didn't like the ATS sights, but I couldn't get anyone from IDPA to say they were OK (we will review the issue at the next meeting and get back to...)

Now I use a stick on bifocal on my safety glasses (right in the center of the dominant eye). Both sights are perfectly in focus with that.

I have transitioned everything I have to plain adjustable/fixed rear and FO front. My eyes just aren't picking up small dots like they used to, and 3 dots/all black are just too difficult for me to pick up at speed anymore.

If I can relay my experiences....I'm 62 and near vision was going fast....long distance improving....go figure. My experience has been with reversed bi-focals for lack of a better term. My newest set is from the Rudy Project. They inserted a prescription insert into the top of both lenses which was a variation from my reading glasses to compensate for the distance to the front sight.....it is a truly amazing effect.

No offense to the above poster , but my theory is the front sight is everything to me, now it's crystal clear while allowing a total comprehension of the target in the distance and side views.Is this an expensive process???...well relative to the cost of ammo...I say absolutely not.

Now the bad news...it's useless in long gun shooting...the top insert distorts the red dot and forces one top hold their head back to utilize the lower clear part of the lense.....I'm trying to figure this part out...and I will...Thanks

I need 1.5 readers to actually read. I've tried everything from 1.5 down to .75 for shooting and I still shoot better without the correction. Both shooting against a timer and shooting groups slow fire. It's kind of strange to me but I've proven it to myself.

I definitely need more daylight around the front sight.