Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic hearing protection suggestions

grouse

• 3 weeks later...

I use plugs for 3 gun because I haven't found any muffs that work very well while shooting rifle & shotgun. They always seem to push up some and then are not as effective. If I'm just shooting a pistol I've been happy with the Howard Leight Impact Sport. Work well and reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-SV-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B0006968YM

3m Tactical Pro - I love mine. They are a little bulky but I find them comfortable and I don't have to double up anymore.

i use these for pistol but it is impossible to shoot a long gun with them!

Try pro ears before you buy. They are the most uncomfortable muffs I tried. Too many electronics where your ears should be

Pro Ears Tac Gold are the best I have ever had. They have the best hearing protection of all the big names out there. I have a pair of the MSA Sordin Supremes and while they are the most comfortable, I still have some slight ringing in my ears with some calibers and when I'm RO'ing. I tried the 3m, Walkers, etc. but the electronics or protection were not even close to the Pro Ears. I already have Tinnitus so it's extremely important to me to save what hearing I have left so I went with the Pro Ears. I also have some electronic in-ears and they have great protection but it sounds like I'm in a box when people are talking. I think there are a few new companies that claim a higher hearing protection now over the Pro Ears but I have had mine for years (had a set before that too that lasted 13 years). Not sure if I would trust them unless some people from here write some glowing reviews.

I have tried on a pair of Pro Ears once, and they seem to be the best you can buy. They are a little pricey $250-350, and can cause issue trying to get a cheek weld.

My most used set is a Peltor Tactical 7 Classic, I also added gel sealing rings. It did make a huge difference in comfort and sealing around your eye pro and ears.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Tactical-Hearing-Protector-97039/dp/B0007IKGB8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHVXKVA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also own a pair of Radians and Howard Leight Tactical Sports, I would say they are ok for $50-100 electronic ear pro.

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X, water resistant, 5 year warranty. Yes, they are very expensive but worth every dollar. My first set lasted 7 years before I replaced them without hesitation with a fresh pair.

http://srstactical.com/all-products/headsets-and-hearing-protection/msa-sordin-supreme-range/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-black-special.html

Don't waste your time trying to find a $100 pair that is equal to these. Believe me, I have tried almost all of them and they don't compare.

Lee

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X, water resistant, 5 year warranty. Yes, they are very expensive but worth every dollar. My first set lasted 7 years before I replaced them without hesitation with a fresh pair.

http://srstactical.com/all-products/headsets-and-hearing-protection/msa-sordin-supreme-range/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-black-special.html

Don't waste your time trying to find a $100 pair that is equal to these. Believe me, I have tried almost all of them and they don't compare.

Lee

I have the same ones. Upgraded when my daughter's dog ate my old ones. Very comfortable with the gel ear pads. I would buy them again.

Doug

I double up on hear pro, plugs and muffs. I used ProEars for years, and I think MSA Sordins are the only other ones in the same league for the quality of the electronics. If you plan to always wear double hear pro, you can save money by getting cheaper electronics (the Howard Leights are, I think, unbeatable in the sub-$50 range) to amplify conversation while trusting a good set of -32dB (or more) plugs to be your primary protection. Don't wear only cheap electronic muffs, though, because what makes them cheap is the response time; i.e., some loud noise will bleed through before the electronics cut in, so you will be getting more loud noise than just the Noise Reduction Rating would suggest.

Just this past year, though, I switched to electronic plugs and I think it was really worth it, for a couple of reasons.

I don't think anybody makes muffs that will reduce by 30 dB or more, and even that rating is tied to the exact fit to your noggin. In particular, the ProEars band seems to be fairly bad at forcing the muffs closed around the bottom of the ears—it squeezes high. Also, while I use muffs to mount a camera at matches, there are times I really want to use just plugs and still have the electronic benefit.

I ended up with HearPro's -37dB plugs (they work great—I had the non-electronic version of them for a couple of years) with electronics. Works great for plugs only, and I can enhance the noise reduction by putting cheap muffs over top. Since the muffs are what are most likely to take a beating, this works for me.

I double up on hear pro, plugs and muffs. I used ProEars for years, and I think MSA Sordins are the only other ones in the same league for the quality of the electronics. If you plan to always wear double hear pro, you can save money by getting cheaper electronics (the Howard Leights are, I think, unbeatable in the sub-$50 range) to amplify conversation while trusting a good set of -32dB (or more) plugs to be your primary protection. Don't wear only cheap electronic muffs, though, because what makes them cheap is the response time; i.e., some loud noise will bleed through before the electronics cut in, so you will be getting more loud noise than just the Noise Reduction Rating would suggest.

Just this past year, though, I switched to electronic plugs and I think it was really worth it, for a couple of reasons.

I don't think anybody makes muffs that will reduce by 30 dB or more, and even that rating is tied to the exact fit to your noggin. In particular, the ProEars band seems to be fairly bad at forcing the muffs closed around the bottom of the ears—it squeezes high. Also, while I use muffs to mount a camera at matches, there are times I really want to use just plugs and still have the electronic benefit.

I ended up with HearPro's -37dB plugs (they work great—I had the non-electronic version of them for a couple of years) with electronics. Works great for plugs only, and I can enhance the noise reduction by putting cheap muffs over top. Since the muffs are what are most likely to take a beating, this works for me.

My googlefu is weak. Link to -37 db plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Pro Ears Gold NRR 33 Electronic Ear muffs. I also double plug with some custom molded ear plugs. I can't hear jack shit unless I crank the volume all the way up on the muffs. Only complaint is on an indoor range you do get some echo.

If you can find one of these, I've been using one for the past year and I've been impressed. Not great for rifles indoors or if you're RO-ing a lot of Open pistol shooters.

http://www.honeywellsafety.com/Products/Hearing/Intelligent_Hearing_Protection/QUIETPRO_QP400.aspx?site=/usa

AVAILABLE FOR DOD, FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY ORDERING.

Edited by IronicTwitch

MSA Sordin are the best I've tried

+ 1. I love my Sordins. They reduce the sound not clip it. That means I can still hear even when shots are going off. This is really helpful when ROing matches

MSA Sordin are the best I've tried

+ 1. I love my Sordins. They reduce the sound not clip it. That means I can still hear even when shots are going off. This is really helpful when ROing matches
Several of the top muffs will do the same for much less and with better noise reduction. I know a few guys that tried sordins and they had to double plug because the noise reduction just isn't there. Pro ears are just as good but they are heavy ear crushers. The best I have found are the tactical pros. Great noise reduction, great electronics and around $200

The Hear-Pro electronics can be had for less if you catch up with them at a match. They beat the pants off a set of muffs in many ways but especially when its hot and/or you're shooting a long gun. And, the NRR is awesome!

I would be happy to talk to anyone who might be interested in a set.

Edited by wgj3

The Hear-Pro electronics can be had for less if you catch up with them at a match. They beat the pants off a set off muffs in many ways but especially when its hot or you're shooting a long gun. And, the NRR is awesome!

I woukd be happy to talk to anyone interested in a set.

I have a set of the custom molded non-electronic Hear-Pros and they work well for pistol and shotgun. They aren't quite enough for rifle, or open pistols. They are quite comfortable.

I tried a set of another brand's electronic molded plugs and wasn't happy with either the noise reduction or sound cut-off especially when factoring in the rather alarmingly large price tag. Fortunately they had a money back guarantee.

I've settled on a tiered approach. Hear-pros for most stuff with a cheap set of Peltor non-electronic muffs over the top when shooting rifle, or when squadded with open shooters in pistol matches. If it's strictly a 3Gun match I use Peltor Tactical 100 electronic muffs over plain old foam ear plugs.

For me the Peltor muffs are more comfortable than the Howard Leights, the performance and battery life is about the same for both. Battery life isn't great when double plugging since you have the volume all the way up.

For around $100 the best Ive been able to find are the peltor tac sports. Thin enough you can shoot long guns without having a problem. I shoot indoors pretty regularly and even with open guns going off there's still enough noise reduction. I use the gel ear pads btw, which do jack the price up a bit but they seem to do a better job of sealing off than the standard.

I almost always double bag my ears. Use earplugs and muffs. Even in indoor settings, it can be loud though. I'd like to be under 100 bucks for electronic muffs if possible. but my ears are important enough to spend the money if its worth it.