KustomHolsters

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I spray brass with oneshot lube it is very hard to size 9mm brass

2. and makes inconsistent seating depths.

1. I use a Square Deal and it is not very hard to sized 9mm brass

even if I don't spray the brass first. When I spray the brass,it

is very easy to size the brass. Not sure why it would be tough

with a 650??

2. Not sure what sizing brass has to do with inconsistent OAL's?

What bullet are you loading? How much variation in OAL are

you experiencing? :cheers:

I lube my pistol brass. Obviously with carbide dies you don't have to, but the press runs smoother with lubed brass. A smoother running press yields more consistent ammo.

First thing I would do is size a small batch without lube. Next use your One Shot and run another batch. It should be easier. One Shot Case Lube is a very light die so you may want to try a Lanolin base lube. The advantage to One Shot is you really don't have to clean it off of your finished ammo.

Another thing it might is your particular batch of brass. When I'm loading 9mm I'll sometimes run into a particularly difficult batch of brass. Generally anything fired in a fully automatic firearm or a pistol with a large chamber can require a bit more pressure to size. Also, nickel plated brass requires a bit more effort.

Try only sizing all of your brass first and then run it through the press again to load it. If your OAL isn't fixed, it's not the sizing causing the variation in OAL.

Try the bag trick with one shot, I put 300 or so cases in a large zip lock, give the bag a 10 second squirt of one shot, seal it and roll the cases around and flip the bag for even coverage, this works great with 9mm 40sw 223 cases, never a issue

, give the bag a 10 second squirt of one shot,

In my experience that's about 8 seconds too long! 10 seconds is a LOT of one shot!

Agreed, I just give a few quick sprays, oneshot is some powerful stuff.

I always use lube even with carbide dies. After trying without then running with, I will never go back. It is so smooth.

Back to the issue at hand, make sure the die and machine setup is right and clean. A quick spray in a bag or even on a tray (very messy) will be more than enough and it should run great.

Like others have said, I have carbide dies and didn't lube for quite a while, but now that I've tried One Shot, I'll never go without it again. The bag trick works great, the cases are easier to size, and I just tumble the rounds for a few minutes afterwards to remove the lube.

25 years of carbide dies and polished brass, tried one shot during a tendentious flare up and never went back. Its way easier.

I have a cardboard box and put cases in on their side, one light pass back and forth is all you need. It runs around the cases just fine

Edited by BSeevers

If you try to make your own using isopropyl alcohol, make sure you go with 99%, not 91%. I figured 91% was high enough until I over-lubed a batch of brass, and it did decent job of tarnishing/rusting the brass with the added time it took to dry. Not horrible, but it seemed reminiscent of brass you find that's been sitting in the dirt for a bit, just not nearly as bad. I guess the cheaper stuff did technically have 9 times the water content :eatdrink:

Edited by hceuterpe