Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubing pistol cases?

KustomHolsters

Why on earth would you use WD40? Its obvious that it will kill primers. Why else would Dillon put this in the 550b manual: "If primers get stuck in a primer magazine or pickup tube flood the tube with penetrating oil (WD-40), throw the tube in the garbage and call us for a free replacement."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over cleaned brass run through a casepro first then a carbide sizing die and have had zero issues on a 650.

The CasePro is technically just another way of sizing brass...

I would imagine if you run your brass through the Casepro and then through a sizing die it would run like butter; kind of like running a case through the sizing die and then running it back through the sizing die again. You definitely don't need lube on the second trip through the sizing die.

If you ever get tired of that Casepro, I'd be happy to keep an eye on it for you. :devil:

Why on earth would you use WD40? Its obvious that it will kill primers. Why else would Dillon put this in the 550b manual: "If primers get stuck in a primer magazine or pickup tube flood the tube with penetrating oil (WD-40), throw the tube in the garbage and call us for a free replacement."

Well, you might think it would be obvious, but there have been a number of tests done where a primer was contaminated with WD40 and the primer still functioned.

After reading all these responses, i am going to buy some One Shot. It had never occurred to me to lube pistol cases with my dillon carbide dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you lube your cases you'll never go back.... Use a 3rd of the force to load ammo.

I put about 10 drops of metal polish on the media and operate the tumbler for a minute then pour the brass into the tumbler and tumble them the usual way. The brass comes out shiny and very smooth to resize in my 550b.

Eta. I do this once every 3-5x of tumbler session.

Edited by BoyGlock

Finished a batch last night using 9mm brass lubed with lanolin. I loaded a couple of rounds and found that the OAL's were 0.001" to 0.0015" shorter. Not a surprise and adjusted seating die appropriately. Compared to non-lubed brass, it was relatively effortless with lubed brass. I use a Dillion 550L with Dillion dies.

Here is what I did:

Bought a bottle of lanolin oil, http://www.nowfoods.com/Liquid-Lanolin-Pure-4-oz.htm

Cut a micro-fiber screen wipes into 8 squares.

Added two-three drops of lanolin on each square and spread it as evenly as possible.

Placed the lanolin saturated squares and two handfuls of brass in a large plastic mayo jar.

Rolled it around for a minute or two.

Dumped the cases in a bin.

Placed the squares back in the mayo jar for future use.

Started my reloads.

I checked the rounds a few days later and they didn't feel as "slick" as the first day. I will still quickly wipe them down before taking them out to the range.

I dump about 200 45 colt into a plastic litter box ( clean) and spray lanolin, alcohol mix 1:8 on one side and let dry. Sides keep spray under control. I used to squirt twice and let dry, then shake and repeat. Found that This was too much, as dies were catching and holding lube.

I run this thru Dillon 1050

• 1 month later...

I´ve used Dillon case lube for a long while, because the spray method is so easy.

Yesterday I had some issues with sizing some .30-06 cases in a single press.

I had to use a lot of power and was worried that a case might stuck.

So I looked for some "extra lubrication" and found some old (not used for years) RCBS case lube, the white bottle ones.

Put a drop on my finger and smeared it a bit over a case.

Man, what a difference!

The cases ran in smoothly, with almost no resistance, I couldn´t believe it!

Even with only lubing every 8th case or so, it ran much more easy than with the Dillon spray.

Why is this so?

What am I doing wrong with the Dillon lube, isn´t it gtg for rifle brass, am I using not enough?

Or is the RCBS lube so much better?

I like to spray and tumble my brass in a bucket, but this result makes me wonder, if I should change my lubing.

Did you try using a bit more lube?

I also use the Dillon spray for FL sizing .308 and .223, I apply it liberally and it works pretty well.

I have never used anything else so I can't compare but even resizing .308W does not require a lot of force. (Of course "a lot" is a very subjective term)

I notice considerably more effort when I don't run lubed cases through Lee Dies on a XL 650.

Couple sprays of RCBS case slick does the job on several hundred cases. Machine runs super smooth with them..without I have some cases that make the machine jerky (especially the brass coming out of the die).

Never clean it off either (I don't use much).

I used to be one of those who said that I would never lube pistol cases since I have carbide dies.

But now that I've tried it, I am never going back to not lubing. As others have said it makes a world of difference and the press runs much smoother.

Yes it does. I had a long loading session this weekend and about 500 round into it I mistakenly grabbed a box of clean but not lubed 9mm brass. I thought I broke something after I had to use way more force to get a the first two cases sized in station 1.

I used to be one of those who said that I would never lube pistol cases since I have carbide dies.

But now that I've tried it, I am never going back to not lubing. As others have said it makes a world of difference and the press runs much smoother.

Yes it does. I had a long loading session this weekend and about 500 round into it I mistakenly grabbed a box of clean but not lubed 9mm brass. I thought I broke something after I had to use way more force to get a the first two cases sized in station 1.

I'm in the same boat - never saw the point until I tried it. The other day I started to run a batch of 9 and thought I must have forgot to lube the cases since it was running a bit stiff. Turns cases were lined out I had left my 38 Short Colt sizing die in!

me too. Loaded various calibres from 9mm minor through to 38 super major (and some revo) and never thought of a need for lube. Finally bought some one shot one day, chucked 200 cases in a big ziplock bag. Gave it three quick sprays and sealed it up quick. Rolled the brass around in the bag for maybe 30 seconds then dumped into the case feeder. So much smoother and much less effort needed on the re-sizing stage. It does seem to make things a little more consistent too and it reduced the number of rounds that fail to gauge from random range brass. happy days.

BTW you don't need a lot and I wouldn't go to the effort of laying out the cases one by one. just dump them in a bag and 3 quick sprays is plenty. I tried more (6 sprays) once and it felt no different, just more wasted lube.

I also don't see a need to clean it off after unless you want super shiny rounds again.

... chucked 200 cases in a big ziplock bag. Gave it three quick sprays and sealed it up quick. Rolled the brass around in the bag for maybe 30 seconds then dumped into the case feeder.

I would recommend to spray first into the bag and then throwing the cases in.

Just to -maybe- have less lube inside the cases.

Just my 2 cents.

... chucked 200 cases in a big ziplock bag. Gave it three quick sprays and sealed it up quick. Rolled the brass around in the bag for maybe 30 seconds then dumped into the case feeder.

I would recommend to spray first into the bag and then throwing the cases in.

Just to -maybe- have less lube inside the cases.

Just my 2 cents.

One shot won't hurt anything. I have shot enough into bags and boxes full of brass to know.

However, I switched to home made lanolin based like Dillon and it is recommended to let it sit for a few minutes prior to loading.

So. I bought some Dillon Case Lube from Scheels today... So many people lube pistol brass here on the forums, thought I'd try it.

Well. Never going to go dry again! After rubbing lube on my tubes, there just isn't any other way to do it!

I noticed that my OAL was super consistent as well.

I ordered 32 oz of %99.99 isopropyl alcohol and 8 oz of lanolin oil, plan on making my own bootleg version.

Thank you forum! You have blown my mind!

So. I bought some Dillon Case Lube from Scheels today... So many people lube pistol brass here on the forums, thought I'd try it.

Well. Never going to go dry again! After rubbing lube on my tubes, there just isn't any other way to do it!

I noticed that my OAL was super consistent as well.

I ordered 32 oz of %99.99 isopropyl alcohol and 8 oz of lanolin oil, plan on making my own bootleg version.

Thank you forum! You have blown my mind!

Yep! The home brew is just as good at a true fraction of the cost. And I would have bet money my sizing die was out of adjustment when they slid in and out of it with hardly any effort. I have always said oal variation would shrink noticeably if using lube. I love it when another loader finds that out! :cheers:

Edited by Sarge