Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubing pistol cases?

KustomHolsters

I've used lube since shortly after starting to reload for the sport 20 years ago. Started with Dillon lube, switched to OneShot, and now use ZEP Par silicone. I find that I would often get a sticky residue using OneShot that I ended up removing with isopropyl alcohol post loading. The silicone stays on, leaving the rounds slick in the magazine. I put the spray into a gallon zip lock first and than add brass for shake and bake afterwards.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm no chemist either, but have read at least this much: that silicone is used in medical catheters and implants, as a lubricant for food processing machines, as additive to frying oils, and for baking sheets for cookies. It's used in Mylanta and Maalox for intestinal gas. It's one of the ingredients in antiperspirants, one of the main ingredients in Silly Putty, and is used in the sex industry for toys and personal lubricants.

My personal impression is of pretty low toxicity, and personal experience is of no skin problems (mind you, that's RELOADING personal experience :D )

Edited by kevin c

I lube 9mm every 5 cases, or so. I put a little synthetic motor oil on a folded up paper towel laying on top of a small Tupperware lid. Roll the case over it. It works very well for me. I have used this method for thousands of rounds.

I use Lanolin and Isopropyl alcohol, it leaves a waxy finish on them and run great through the redding GRX and Dillion SDB.

Which is what Dillon lube is. Make sure use 100% alcohol.

Just made some with %99.9 isopropyl alcohol and lanolin. 12:1 for starting. I think Dillon may use a little more lanolin, but, I thought that my tubes didn't need as much... I am assuming Dillon takes into account that rifle reloaders are going to use it too, so cover your bases.

It looks identical to Dillon, and for me it's just the right amount to keep it all silky smooth!

post-55287-142596961299_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've probably loaded 3k 9mm and 40sw rounds on my 650 this year... The last 300 I started using some Dillon case lube. Holy crap. Absolutely noticed a difference in how smooth the press operated. I think it upped my loading rate just because I didn't feel like I was having to really crank the cases in and out of stations 1 and 2. I'm a big fan. I will definitely lube pistol cases from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club, there are new 'pro-lube' members every day. I see numerous comments like yours (i.e., I loaded dry for years but tried lube once and never looked back). I have yet to see someone say "yeah, I used to lube pistol brass but I just didn't like how much smoother and easier it made it so I stopped using it".

:goof:

Welcome to the club, there are new 'pro-lube' members every day. I see numerous comments like yours (i.e., I loaded dry for years but tried lube once and never looked back). I have yet to see someone say "yeah, I used to lube pistol brass but I just didn't like how much smoother and easier it made it so I stopped using it".

:goof:

Agreed. I'll also wager that those saying they don't see the need are closet lubers!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with the original poster about re-sizing 9mm on a Dillon 650. I load 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP and 9mm is by far much harder to resize than the other calibers. I might have to try some One Shot myself.

The first step is to admit you have a problem... Hi, my name is ____________________ and I'm a closet luber.

Closet Luber..... Is that even legal??? :roflol:

Now we have to lube our closets?!?!