Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Rounds To Take for First Match?

Nalapombu

Hey all,

I've never shot a 3 gun match, but have wanted to for a long time. I now live in a place where I suspect there are matches pretty frequently, Houston.

What I am wondering is how many rounds I should plan on taking to my first match. Can you all give me an idea what I'd need?

Also, for the new people like me, when they show up to shoot a match for the first time they are not going to have the belt and mag holders like you guys do. What option is there for people that don't have that specialized belt with ammo holders? How can I tote the shotgun ammo? The pistol and AR mags wouldn't be that hard, but the shotgun ammo looks like it would be a problem.

Thanks all,

Nalajr

If at all possible try to make buddies with someone in your squad, people in 3 gun are usually really great about lending out gear to newbies. And any match that is advertised online will usually have an approximate round count listed or at the very least the number of someone you can call with questions like that. And remember just to have fun and soak it all in at the first match, no reason to overdo it.

I agree with the Tiger - contact the local match director before you go

and he'll tell you how many rounds they expect to shoot - I'd double

it, myself. (I miss a lot). :bow:

I wouldn't go to a match without the necessary equipment - just me.

You need solid belt/holster/mag holders. Period. I wouldn't expect

to find some I could borrow at the match. Just me ... :cheers:

I can't speak to 3 gun but for USPSA bringing match round count X2 is a sound strategy.

Besides the obvious of taking make up shots for misses, reshooting a stage for various reasons can really cut in to your ammo reserves.

For example if you have a 32 round stage and there is some sort of range equipment failure or someone prematurely pastes a target (and owns up to it) you will be so happy not to start stressing while loading mags for your reshoot of "oh man I may not have enough ammo to finish the match"

At a springtime match last year I had to reshoot a stage 3 times as a thunderstorm was rolling thru and kept blowing a popper down which was right at the end of the COF. My bro had to bail me out on ammo that day.

HP Jack is right, don't go expecting to borrow equipment, but if people are aware your new and you have a good attitude it's not uncommon for people to try and help you out. And in my opinion, for the first couple matches a holster is a must but you can probably live without mag pouches if you've got pockets. Shotgun ammo caddies vary so widely in design and intended loading styles that you really should try a few out before committing a ton of money to them. And yes, bring way more ammo than you should need!

I can't speak to 3 gun but for USPSA bringing match round count X2 is a sound strategy.

Besides the obvious of taking make up shots for misses, reshooting a stage for various reasons can really cut in to your ammo reserves.

For example if you have a 32 round stage and there is some sort of range equipment failure or someone prematurely pastes a target (and owns up to it) you will be so happy not to start stressing while loading mags for your reshoot of "oh man I may not have enough ammo to finish the match"

At a springtime match last year I had to reshoot a stage 3 times as a thunderstorm was rolling thru and kept blowing a popper down which was right at the end of the COF. My bro had to bail me out on ammo that day.

I agree with this above and have experienced it as well. I had to re-shoot a 32 round stages (shot it 3 times) because steel kept falling on its on. Luckily I had brought 500 rounds. Always bring more that expected. I also would not show up to a match with no gear at all. Its going to be very difficult to to borrow all that is needed, especially for a 3 gun match. I will buy/borrow the minimum amount need to shoot the match and go from there.

Hi from west houston shooters club , I look at the rd count of the posted stages and always take more to cover re shoots. We are having our monthly 3 gun match tomorrow hammer down at 9am you are welcome to ck us out .

Sound advice...I'm pretty new to the sport as well but I would recommend checking out the round count and then bringing double. I would also recommend having a good solid holster before you go. Cargo pants work well for holding gear and mags but a solid holster made for your pistol is definitely something you want to take along.

Bring plenty of ammo. You will want to have your own belt and holster, but your pockets will be fine for mags and shotshells for your first match.

Here in Houston we have 3 monthly matches plus a few more that are less frequent. 2nd Saturday is West Houston Shooters Club. 3rd Saturday is Dissident Arms Multigun. 4th Sunday is Cawthon Cartridge Club.

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, e-mail the match director, not only will you get a MINIMUM round count, they will probably have some other good info for you. I tend to miss...in large quantities. So I bring roughly 150-200 rounds extra of pistol ammo for a USPSA match. For me, I have never had a problem if I brought double the ammo to any match (3gun, IDPA, or USPSA.)

For my first three gun match I ran my USPSA/IDPA belt/holster, found a cheap mag pouch for rifle, and did the cargo pocket thing for shotgun. Classy? Absolutely not, and even slower. But I still had a blast and it got me hooked.

Good luck and have fun. Don't worry about having the coolest stuff, as other said, a nail pouch would work OK for the first few times to get your feet wet. The addiction will take care of the rest.

Bring double the round count of transport isn't an issue. That way you spray & pray and still have enough for any potential reshoots.

There nothing worse than being worried about running out of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From a post on another thread I see you are in the Houston area.

Here on the Texas Gulf Coast 3 Gun has gotten real popular. So popular that they have folks register online and the matches usually fill up well before match day.

Here are the local matches that I know about. (There might be a few others that I'm missing and I hope someone will chime in.)

For the Dissident Arms match at CCC near Navasota, go to their site on Facebook.

For the Defense Competition Multigun at Pacleb Ranch, watch for announcements here on Benos.,

For the West Houston match at Impact, you can watch for it here on Benos and signup on their website at www.whidpa.com

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Start basic because you are going to see the different things people use and get a better idea of what kind of gear you want to run. Be very sure of your handgun holster - dropping a mag is a pain, but dropping your gun means you're done.

As has been said, call the match director to ask about round count. Double it. AND, while on the phone with them, mention you're new and ask about equipment. They will likely be able to help you out with suggestions or point you in the right direction as far as borrowing / trying some out.

Granted, it was an informal one, but I shot my first match with a holster / pistol mags on my belt, but a chest rig for my AR mags and some belt / buttstock shotgun shell carriers looped into the shoulder straps. It was horrible, but for my first time out, it worked out ok and was "good enough" to get through the match.