Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib, double charge and the 550B?

I was reading a few a threads on here and another forum in reference to the 550B. A few posters made references to a 1-2% squib ratio which seems really high and unacceptable to me. Now thus far I have only loaded on a Lee Classic Turet press but I have about 12,000 rounds on there and I've only had 2 squibs, both on my very first batch ever and was just my error. So with that said is it a common occurrence to have squibs or a double charge on a 550B? Thank you

I would find any squibs with a high enough occurence to be called a percentage from an experienced reloader to be unacceptable. I loaded somewhere around 80k rds on my 550 without a single squib. I had a total of 3 when first learning to reload on a lee loadmaster out of about 6k. Ive had zero on my 650s with maybe another 80 to 100k rds through them.

Ive never seen anyone post that type of squib percentage. Failure to case gauge or chamber, yes but never squibs.

I'm another person who has loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a 550, rifle and pistol, and never had a squib or double charge in the 10 years I've had it.

Anyone who has 1% rate of squibs needs to not load ammo, and they need to just buy it, it will be cheaper for them when you count in how many guns they've must have blown up.

2%!? :surprise: If I load 1000 rds that means I get 20 squibs? Ouch! That is most definately not a common occurence with any reloading setup. The 550 is an excellent machine and will turn out great ammunition. Don't hesitate to make the move to a Dillon.

Thanks everyone for the great replies, when I first read those posts I couldn't believe that was acceptable and seemed like no big deal to the poster. I really enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting and I always visually check the case before placing the bullet as I don't ever want a squib or a double charge. I figure the first time I destroy a gun or injure myself or worse than the reloading will no longer be fun. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything here before I drank the blue Koolaid.

Squib is going to happen if you run out of powder - that's operator error.

If only they put the powder in a big transparent funnel...... wait, what?

I had a couple squibs with my single-stage. Have yet to have one with the 550 in 25k rounds.

2%!? :surprise: If I load 1000 rds that means I get 20 squibs? Ouch! That is most definately not a common occurence with any reloading setup. The 550 is an excellent machine and will turn out great ammunition. Don't hesitate to make the move to a Dillon.

Must we call you all seeing Eye's now!

Or Mr Youngeyes!!

Back to the thread,,My first press was an old single stage bought for $100. Bucks with a bunch of stuff I didn't know what to do with at the time.No squibs on it,bought a 550 from the same guy.Had one squib on it.I pulled one case out to weigh the powder,put m t case back in press.I carried that bullet in my pocket for years. Now load on 650 all good !

Reloading on any press is a process. That process must be followed for each and every round loaded or mistakes will happen. For every person in this thread telling you that they have loaded thousands of rounds on a 550/650/lee/lnl without a squib, there will just as many telling you that they have loaded squibs on the same machines. Failure to follow the process on ANY press will lead to bad ammo.

BTW, I have loaded many thousands of rounds on my 550.....and I have never had a squib.

Yeah getting that percentage, or any really, is unacceptable. Total operator error in several possible areas to get a squib. Don't blame it on the machine.

Kind of like missing a putt in golf and throwing the putter in the lake. Don't drown the 550 because of your own inability to pay attention and follow the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I confess to 3 squibs, all in the first 50 .38's I loaded on my new 550B...It was pure operator error, and I passed the learning curve some time back. It does take a bit of concentration to become familiar with the Dillon after loading on a turret. Thankfully, those three squibs were expected, and all in my snubby .38. Haven't had any problems after learning the steps and pace myself. I do know what to check and have lights to illuminate the powder drop, I just don't try to set records in how many I can load in an hour...slow but sure works for me.

I was reading a few a threads on here and another forum in reference to the 550B. A few posters made references to a 1-2% squib ratio which seems really high and unacceptable to me. Now thus far I have only loaded on a Lee Classic Turet press but I have about 12,000 rounds on there and I've only had 2 squibs, both on my very first batch ever and was just my error. So with that said is it a common occurrence to have squibs or a double charge on a 550B?

Definitely not. If you are giving your full attention to the loading process.

I formed that habit of looking into each case before turning the shell plate after the upstroke. I bought an Inline Fabrication Skylight for my 550, and now my 650 and the habit still remains....only with much better light. Been through at least 50k on my 550, and not one single squib. Slow is smooth.......you know the rest.

I formed that habit of looking into each case before turning the shell plate after the upstroke. I bought an Inline Fabrication Skylight for my 550, and now my 650 and the habit still remains....only with much better light. Been through at least 50k on my 550, and not one single squib. Slow is smooth.......you know the rest.

Thats a great idea I am definitely getting a skylight. I have some LEDs on my LCT but just don't get enough light into the cases. Now I have yet to reload .223 but isn't much harder to see in those cases no matter what you do?

Thats a great idea I am definitely getting a skylight. I have some LEDs on my LCT but just don't get enough light into the cases. Now I have yet to reload .223 but isn't much harder to see in those cases no matter what you do?

Even with the Skylight and the LED strip it's still pretty hard to see in a .223 case.