Favorite 2011 lube

GSonnen

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mobil 1 0w-40 with a small amount of Redline ATF in it...because they are always available in the garage. Not sloppy, but pretty wet.

I do like Slide Glide Lite on high mileage pistols during warm months, though.

Another vote for Bacon Grease

Not sure why this hasn't caught on more. Non-toxic, biodegradable, what's not to like? The only pain in the a** is the whole "clean the gun, coat with bacon grease, shoot until it reaches operating temperature, wipe down with tongue, re-apply" thing...

Cheers623

DVC

Another vote for Bacon Grease

Not sure why this hasn't caught on more. Non-toxic, biodegradable, what's not to like? The only pain in the a** is the whole "clean the gun, coat with bacon grease, shoot until it reaches operating temperature, wipe down with tongue, re-apply" thing...

Cheers623

DVC

Actually its biggest downfall is the higher cholesterol and high blood pressure you get from making the grease. I mean, I'm not gonna just let all that good bacon go to waste. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Slide Glide blended with FP-10 is excellent and you can adjust the viscosity by adding more or less FP-10. The grease holds the lube in place.

I didn't think of this. I live in the upper midwest, so spring/fall when we're still shooting can cool off such that Slide Glide Lite feels "gummy," and I rack the slide for 10 seconds during "make ready." Blending allows you to control viscosity, and the grease keeps the lube where you want it. I get it. Nice trick.

So pretty much motor oil is preferred my most. i was reading multiple forum posts about the subject and couldnt tell if this was some big joke everyone seemed to be in on or was seriously used as a lube.

I have run motor oil in Glocks and XD pistols, but never a "fancy" gun like a 2011. Seems weird, but I'm sure the automotive industry has put in a lot more R&D time and money into lubricants that withstand high heat and friction without breaking down than the firearms industry.

I use Milcomm TW-25 grease on the rails, synthetic motor oil everywhere else in the slide area and rem oil in the trigger parts. Or... what ever happens to be within reach when I'm headed out the door with a dirty gun.

Edited by co-exprs

Thanks, Darryl...

When I bought my Edge, I also bought Dave Dawson's "STI Disassembly & Assembly" DVD... He put a drop of oil in the firing pin channel before he dropped the firing pin in... It surprised me...

I don't usually clean the firing pin channel too often... When I do, I clean it with alcohol on a Q-Tip... I'll continue to do that...

I use a very thin layer of slide glide light, then top it with a little hoppes gun oil. It comes out very slick and there is just enough slide glide to basically hold some of the oil in place. I may try the motor oil trick though?

How often are you guys re-applying the motor oil during the day, or is it a once a day/match thing?