Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best sizing die for the bottom of a case

Nemesis Lead

Guys,

In 9mm what is the best sizing/decapping die for removing bulges in the bottom of my case?

I went from Dillion to the EGW undersize die (.01 undersize) thinking that would be an improvement. The EGW was actually not as good as the Dillon.

Who makes the best die for this?

Sure the die is set correctly I've had excellent results with just a standard Lee first stage sizing die in 9mm minor.

Use a small strip of paper as a go no go gauge with light pressure on the operating handle the paper strip needs drag when you pull it out and should

not be able to push it in. Lee's carbide ring is close to the case mouth if it hits it could crack the ring. I shoot an STI Trojan in 9mm with a Kart barrel.

This set up has worked fine on range brass. The locking nut may need to be on the bottom of the tool head, may not be enough thread to secure the nut from

the top. May want to inspect the carbide ring I have seen them crack.

Don't care what the box says it's a big deal to lube cases.

Loading on a Dillon Press check the powder through die it should slip in a piece of sized brass before belling. May need to turn the first part of the die a

little put mine in a drill press and polished it with sandpaper till the brass fit then polished with Simichrome. Also polished the inside of the powder

through die to help with bridging. May be machining marks on the inside of the die.

Edited by Bob DuBois

Something does not sound right when you say the Dillon was better than the EGW at sizing lower on the bress. In my opinion that is physically impossible since the Dillons are flared way too much at the bottom and the EGW is actually a thousandth tighter in dimension. Only thing I can figure is you may not be lubing the brass and the EGW is rolling the brass towards the base. I literally have about 1 in a thousand that won't gauge using the EGW.

Hey Sarge,

My stuff is lubed and it will case gauge. It is just tighter than my Dillon which really surprised me!

Heck, you might have a really good Dillon die then. I have heard other guys say there Dillon was plenty tight but mine was nowhere near good enough to keep bullets from setting back in 9mm.

Don't get rid of it!

Heck, you might have a really good Dillon die then. I have heard other guys say there Dillon was plenty tight but mine was nowhere near good enough to keep bullets from setting back in 9mm.

Don't get rid of it!

Same here! My Dillon die wouldn't size my 9mm case small enough to keep a Montana Gold bullet from sliding down in it. No problems with my Lee full length sizing die or my U-die. Guess we both got out of spec Dillon dies.

I use Lee dies in my XL650 for 9mm and 45acp

Me too, I'm a huge fan of Dillon products but when it comes to dies, Lee is superior (at least in my experience). Its a shame cuz Dillon dies are $25.00 more than Lee. Go figure.

FYI some cases can't be salvaged. I end up throwing away cases that are bulged too much as the sizing ring leaves a ridge at the case webbing.

I run a Lee/EGW U die. Make sure the die is contacting the shell plate. Also lube your pistol brass with One Shot or something.

FYI some cases can't be salvaged. I end up throwing away cases that are bulged too much as the sizing ring leaves a ridge at the case webbing.

I run a Lee/EGW U die. Make sure the die is contacting the shell plate. Also lube your pistol brass with One Shot or something.

Actually that's not altogether true. All cases can be salvages except the split ones and horribly deformed.

Just use a CasePro100 like a number of us use.

You say it gauges. Is this "bulge" just ugly or does it get hung up in the gauge? If it gets hung up check the die height and lower it as much as possible. 9mm has tapered cases.

If I put too much work into reloading 9mm I lose any savings in time or money and might as well shoot factory 124gr. Rolling or separate re-sizing 9mm minor cases would be an increased cost in time and money.

I try to eliminate as many steps as possible. The only time I process the case is to: collect, clean, lube, reload (Dillon 550), gauge. Then, I load it in the gun. I can't remember the last time I've had a malfunction.

DNH

If you want the die that sizes the lowest, then I find that Lee and Hornady are the best--the Dillon dies I have are the worst for sizing near the shell holder.

If you want the ultimate, look for old RCBS carbide dies. When they first came out there was NO visible chamfer, so they sized all the way to the shell holder; however, you usually had to help the case enter the die.

What I personally do is run my 9x19 and 9x21 brass through a Lee Bulge Buster using the Lee 9mm Mak FCD. Some say that the 9x19 FCD works just as well. I do this because I had one (1) case not chamber due to a raised ridge, as seen in the Lee ads for the Bulge Buster, and I didn't want that to happen again.

Case Master Jr - the low budget bomb for sizing "glocked" brass!

No different than the Lee Bulge Buster only costs more.

Wrong!! From the Lee site: NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case

Case Master Jr - the low budget bomb for sizing "glocked" brass!

No different than the Lee Bulge Buster only costs more.

Wrong!! From the Lee site: NOTE: 9mm cases are not able to be used in the Bulge Buster because it has a slightly tapered case and the rim is not completely flush with the case

Read my post, #3. You can do it