Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to get into 3 gun on a budget

aahunt03

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions? Seems like 3 gun has a high monetary cost which is a bar to entry for many.

I started at a local club that required a pistol (min .22lr), carbine (limited to .22lr) and a shotty that could hold a min of 5 rounds). I shot 6 of those matches.

The NRA has intro to 3Gun events at either no cost or low cost and they provide all the firearms and ammo. I have 3 friends that I shoot with that went to one who are now in the process of gearing up. http://nrasports.nra.org/3-gun-shooting-events.aspx

I'm not a $pendy guy so I've pieced all my gear together over the last 18-24 months. I shot the .22 matches with a Sig P229, Archangel stocked 10/22, and my bargain basement Benelli M1. For regular matches I'll be using my Sig556.

Here's what I paid for the guns:

P229 $450 (back in 1997)

Archangel 10/22 $325-ish

SIG556 $700 (off Armslist ... it took about 2 months from the time I made an offer to get it in my hands)

Benelli M1 $600 (also off Armslist)

I started using a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt I already owned w/ nylon pouches and a dump pouch.

Like others have said buy used or on sale, guys on the boards are always selling quality used gear.

Armslist.com is your friend ...

I bought a bunch of Blade-Tech this past summer on a 21% Off coupon.

I've read that the MidwayUSA Stage 1 Belt for $25 is good for the price.

Edited by bossgvr4

Might check but someone use to sell an inner outer belt that had velcro hooks on the inner with the soft part on the outer. No problem untul you wear it in your car on the way to the range & you have cloth upholstery.......the hooks are hard on cloth upholstery. Take my word for it. Lol.

Borrow or use what you have. At my first 3-Gun, I used a 3-power fixed scope on a crappy Ar-15, 9mm handgun with a defensive holster, and a 4 shot pump shotgun. Had a blast! Don't go buy stuff without testing it and trying other options. A good shotgun for beginners or the pros (Jerry Miculek) a Mossberg 930 JM Pro. It comes with everything you need and is under 700$. Hope this helps.

Chris

I started with a semi-modified stag 16" barreled M4 with a dot sight an 870 and a glock 19. I suggest that you go and shoot a few matches with what ever you have and then look at what you might want to get. Yes, you can spend lots on money getting three guns at once that are all top of the line, and you can spend much less with some good gear that will work well for you. I do suggest that you save your money when it comes to optics and get something name brand, don't go with any knock off stuff, it might look OK but it will not hold a zero. As far as a shotgun goes, you can find a used M1 or m2 for 800-900, that's the route I would take. If you have a 1100 or a 870 you can make it work now with just a magazine extension. A stock double stack 9mm pistol will work well, pick one. As far as gear goes, I used an uncle mikes belt for years with a few mag pouches...if you look you can find used stuff.

cheers

Used Econo AR15: 500

Used Econo 9mm pistol: 250

Used Econo 12ga pump: 150

Cargo pants and jacket/hoodies to carry ammo/mags: 50

Doesn't sound like an expensive start to me at all, compared to what people spend on guns and other hobbies.

So we just set up a new shooter. Police trade in G17, $435 with mags and sights. AR with blem, sale and used parts, ARF Burris fastfire, $780. Stoeger M3000 with a Carbon Arms tube and a TTI lifter, $690. He had AR mags, bought a used belt rig and a 12 rounds pinwheel. $290. About $2200 total. He was ringing steel at 300, spraying paper and hitting clays and plates with no problems. He won't be needing anything else for a while and can now play the game and practice with his own gear. He borrowed stuff for a few matches this summer.

I would do as many others here suggested, try to borrow equipment until you decide what works for you. I wish I would have followed my own advice, I spent unneeded money on things I thought would work, only to end up selling it or just putting it in the closet to never be used again. Equipment in this game can start adding up quickly, especially when outfitting 3 guns.

Run what you have.

Borrow what you don't.

For the next pieces needed you'll find a way to budget and there will be someone to sell it to you.

The payback is the experience and camaraderie = priceless.

Just get out there, then you'll know what your budget is.

DNH

I'm getting started as well. I'm running a Stoeger M3000 ($600 new for the gun), a Tanfoglio Witness 9mm (under $500 new, I paid $350 used and already converted to SAO with good sights, look at the IDPA/IPSC guys for handguns, they usually sell their used guns relatively cheap), and an AR I built ($81 for a stripped upper and lower, $180 for the glass, $270 for a top quality Black Hole barrel, $25 in a used DPMS rifle length float tube, no name lower parts kit with JP yellow springs, a couple screws, a $10 magpul trigger guard, $20 Black hawk ergo grip, $100 in a complete new ACE stock setup, JP low mass BCG and silent captured recoil spring that you don't have to have, and, well, you get the idea). If I had the rifle to do over again I'd spend $250 ish on a complete lower with an A2 stock, swap the trigger springs, call BCM today for an assembled 16" upper since their throwing in a BCG with a $350 upper for black Friday and a set of $5 gun show GI plastic hand guards and go shoot Tac Irons

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, 5 years ago I wanted to get into 3 gun and started putting together a budget setup. I started with my Winchester 1300 that I already owned ($250, maybe i don't know, I bought it almost 15 years ago) I added a +5 tube and swapped the barrel for a 22" VR ($200.) Ran my Glock 22 (police trade in $400) and over the next year added a bunch of Zev parts ($300ish) TTI basepads x3 ($120.) For my rifle I was running my lightweight AR-15 Carbine that I already owned(this was actually a really nice DD gun, probably $1500, iron sights.)

I shot this setup for a year before the gear bug hit. Now I run a tricked Versamax competition tactical (probably $1800 into it now) an very nice Noveske 18" comp rifle ($2500+another $1300 for glass) and a custom 2011 pistol ($$$$$$$ I dont want to talk about it :surprise: ) I run a bladetech modular belt system with Invictus Practical caddies and bladetech pouches (I bet I'm nearing the $500 mark on that along with holsters etc) I got to this point buying too many thing only to realized they didn't work for me. I'd say hardware wise I'm in the hole well over $10k but honestly that's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of ammo.

Now I say all of this to say that you can "get into" 3 gun on a budget. Run what you brung for a few matches and find out what works. Don't get too caught up in your gear for the first 5 or 6 matches, just focus on getting better with what you have. you'll get hooked like the rest of us and then you can start planning gear purchases. Replace items that are holding you back once you are running on the edge of what is possible for your gear, Additionally the classified here seem to have lots of gear pop up right after major matches. Watch the major match announcements and then hit the classifieds the week after and lots of good gear buys pop up from prize tables.

Oh and welcome to the sickness!

• 2 weeks later...

Recommendations:

Glock 34, OK to buy used and have some work done on it.

I suggest a retention holster because you may need to go prone with a holstered gun.

Mossburg JP Pro 930 a bit heavy but a good shooting gun that will last you a few years.

Buds gun shop has Adams Arms Ar-15s in stock under $700.

Get a cart. Go to the USED baby clothing store sand you should find a running stroller, use that stroller and get some mounts from a sportsmen's store (they are for a 4 wheeler) total cost will be under $100 you will need this.

I shot my first 3 gun with a borrowed Remington 870, my glock 19 with my IDPA set up, and my SBR AR with a red dot. Extra shotgun shells were in a cargo pocket, had two regular Glock 19 mags, and an AR mag in another cargo pocket. Did I place very low? Absolutely, but I really enjoyed it. I still only have my SBR with an EOtech, I just can't dedicate the funds to a specific 3gun rifle. I still shoot my glock 19, I just have a few magazines with basepads. I bought a Mossberg JM 930 for under $600.

Start with whatever you have, borrow what you don't. If you shoot other competitions (USPSA or IDPA) see if your friends have stuff you can borrow. I found that people were very generous and helpful. If you just want to see if you like it, but only have a pistol and rifle, still go to a local match and sign up. You will lose a few points for not hitting all the targets, but you get a chance to see what it is like. I always bring extra ammo to a match, just incase someone needs to borrow a shotgun or rifle. Generous people helped me become addicted, and I just want to pass on that same joy.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I went and watched my first match last month. I shot my first one a couple of weeks ago. I used my nightstand pistol, a CZ SP-01 Tactical. I already have more than a few AR's so I just put a Vortex Strike Eagle on my RRA R3. I bought that upper a few years back and used it to shoot yotes, even though it was a factory designed 3 gun upper. I did go out and buy a M3K before my first match. But I hunt, so it was justified as yet another back up shotgun. I absolutely loved it. So much that I have since bought a SC belt, Taccom shell holders, Bladetech mag carriers & holster. Along with a new M&P 9 Pro that I put an Apex kit it. And another stripped upper and lower that will be a new rifle build. My next match is 2 weeks away and it's all I can think about.

I'm starting 3 gun this year as well. Preregistered for a match on the first weekend of May. I'm super excited to get going.

I knew I was going to do 3 gun this year so started putting together a few things over the last few months.

I already have a Glock 17, or full size M&P 9, to use for pistol. My AR is one that I built with the Vortex Strike Eagle scope on it that my wife bought me for my birthday. A couple months ago I got a Stoeger M3K, so I'm pretty much set on guns.

I already have a good holster and mag carriers, but have no idea what to do as far as the belt or shotgun shell caddies. Right now I'm just planning on taking my shell bag I use for shooting clays to carry the shotgun shells. I'm slow loading with it, but oh well.....I'm just looking forward to having some fun and learning from others.

Any recommendations on belts would be appreciated. Right now I've looked at the Bladetech, Safariland, and SC. I like the Bladetech Tek Lok system, so was leaning towards the Bladetech belt.

If you plan to shot local matches, go to a match and see how they are set up or email/call the match director and ask what do you need for your first time. You could buy a lot of equipment that you may not need or may not be the best for you. If you are shooting bay matches you may not need a scope. If they have racks you may not need a cart. Is it 3 gun every month or do they do 2 gun some months? What are the rules and divisions of the match you are going to?There is a lot of gear you can buy but probably not a lot you need to get started. 3 gun can vary quite a bit from region to region and club to club so check it out before you start buying.