Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WORLD RECORD 1000 yard balloon shot by Jerry Miculek

kneelingatlas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Just a matter of figuring out where the beaten zone is" means that shot was practiced probably quite a bit before it was filmed. I don't care who you are you can not just pull out a pistol and KNOW what the holdover is for 1000 yards on a given day. By the same token, I don't care who you are, if you practice that shot enough you could probably hit it on demand when a camera is running.

Sorry to all the JM lovers. He is quite a shooter for sure! :cheers:

I eagerly await your video.

-ld

you honestly think JM just walked up and knew exactly where to aim a pistol to hit a balloon at 1000 yards?

Definitely not. I don't think that getting that shot zoned in is within the ability of most, or even many, shooters. Over that distance even a tiny variable is magnified into a BIG variable. Got a tiny shake in your grip? Well at a thousand yards you have a BIG shake. Wind? Almost any wind is gonna screw you up. I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm just saying I want the video if you do! :)

-ld

JM is not only a great shooter but a great entertainer. I think I have as much fun watching some of his videos as he does making them!

I would also add that he is a great ambassador for the shooting sports in general.

1. I want to know what he was aiming at. Had to be something way up in the sky someplace.

2. At that range, the bullet was basically just falling when it hit the balloon. Surprised it didn't just bounce off.

3. At that distance, the elevation is not the big problem, it's windage. At 1000yd a good long range rifle will have to compensate 8-9" per mph. With a 9mm, a bunny fart would blow the bullet off target.

When he shot silhouette Warren Moore could hit the rams with his fixed sighted snubby. I think they are 220 or so yards away. The berm had tall trees behind that could be used for reference but still a very difficult shot. With Jerry's shot I would think what ever cloud he was using for reference would keep moving. :) Even if you could remove the drop and aim directly at the target, how small is that at 1000 yrds?

If I were to try the shot I would use only parts of the gun as reference points. i.e. the top of the scope lined up with the tip of the barrel, flat along the top of the berm, etc. If there is not a solid stationary reference point behind the target seems that would be the only way to do it?

Something to consider... a 2x3 plate is actually smaller than a Mil (36 inches at 1000 yards... and 3.6 inches at 100 yards).

A well-built sniper rifle can not be counted upon to produce groups of less than 8 inches at 1000 yards... and that is with a big scope and a spotter doing some serious dope on the wind correction.

I didn't see the video... but I have to wonder what gun & load he was using. It must have been a pretty good one to hold 3.5 MOA at 1000 yards. Any semi-auto or revolver that can hold a 3.6 inch group at 100 yards is pretty darned accurate! Magnify that accuracy requirement by 10... then figure wind... and it's one helluva shot! And, I don't care if it took him more than a few tries.

The gun & load had to be able to deliver the required accuracy level. I wonder what he was using.

Good afternoon guys.

You are all missing the point, he hit the steel plate ( balloon ) at 1000 yards, it does not matter how many shots it took, try with the naked eye to see that far.

you have to love it,

Jerry you be the man.

I want one of the Revolvers for Action Pistol.

Russell

I tend to believe what JM does. I shot on the same squad with him at the 2008 (?.. maybe 2007) IDPA Nationals in Arkansas. The COF I most remember was a 15 yard El Prez with the targets about 12 feet apart. It was a long and wide El Prez. A gentle, but steady rain was falling. JM was shooting ESR -165 PF, 625 S&W. He put down his umbrella.. LAMR... and ran it in 7.50 seconds... down 0. 6 rounds, reload, six more, in 7.50 and down 0 In the rain!.

I do tend to agree with those who suspect he is either an Alien, or a Bionic creation. But, he is the nicest and most humble individual you would ever want to meet.

Something to consider... a 2x3 plate is actually smaller than a Mil (36 inches at 1000 yards... and 3.6 inches at 100 yards).

A well-built sniper rifle can not be counted upon to produce groups of less than 8 inches at 1000 yards... and that is with a big scope and a spotter doing some serious dope on the wind correction.

I didn't see the video... but I have to wonder what gun & load he was using. It must have been a pretty good one to hold 3.5 MOA at 1000 yards. Any semi-auto or revolver that can hold a 3.6 inch group at 100 yards is pretty darned accurate! Magnify that accuracy requirement by 10... then figure wind... and it's one helluva shot! And, I don't care if it took him more than a few tries.

The gun & load had to be able to deliver the required accuracy level. I wonder what he was using.

It is a S&W 9mm 929 revovler with hornady xtp 147g cartridge.

he said in the video what the load was, he also stated that the he was able to get the holdover such that the target was at they bottom of the lense of the scope, so the 3.5 moa triangle or whatever was held at what he judged to be a 75-80 yard holdover.

No matter how many shots you think he took before he did it on film(doubt very many honestly, you want it all on film in case you get it right off) an 80 yard holdover with a handgun and putting a bullet onto any target, nevermind a 2x3 piece of steel, is mind boggling.

I could probably sit there all day with a bucket full of bullets and never get one on the steel...

I threw the numbers in the JBL ballistics and with the hornady 147 gr xtp at 975 fps factory load with a 15 yard zero, 1" high sight offset. it has 2988.3 inches of drop (83.00 yards) with 516 FPS, travel time is 4.411 seconds at 1000 yards.

I practiced this morning, in 4.4 seconds I can eat a small doughnut and drink a cup of coffee. To be honest it did take me three attempts. :)

Jerry and Benny talk all the time and Jerry told us about that shot weeks ago. A LOT of work and prep goes into that stuff. On that shot they couldn't see bullet impact to walk the rounds in so Jerry had Lena way downrange behind a small berm spotting for him. Lots of shooting and lots of camera takes but he really does everthing you see, no fakes. Larry

I threw the numbers in the JBL ballistics and with the hornady 147 gr xtp at 975 fps factory load with a 15 yard zero, 1" high sight offset. it has 2988.3 inches of drop (83.00 yards) with 516 FPS, travel time is 4.411 seconds at 1000 yards.

I practiced this morning, in 4.4 seconds I can eat a small doughnut and drink a cup of coffee. To be honest it did take me three attempts. :)

I hope you let your coffee cool down first :)

It's a cool video. Reminds me of the video of Bob Munden shooting the steel plate at 200 yards with a snub nose. I think with practice and good technic the possibilities are endless. Here is a link to a video of DR Middlebrook point shooting at hitting USPSA poppers at 70 yards with no sights on what looks like a CZ 75.

Lee

....snipped

I do tend to agree with those who suspect he is either an Alien, or a Bionic creation. But, he is the nicest and most humble individual you would ever want to meet.

This has been my personal experience with him and Kay both. I squadded with them at High Plains a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

....snipped

This has been my personal experience with him and Kay both. I squadded with them at High Plains a couple of years ago.

How many perfect doubles did he shoot? ;)