Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking left and right after finishing stage

I am sure the procedure has a place in some form of training. But, if you don't think the dude in the video is over the top, that's ok too. I am pretty sure nobody here is knocking it, but for myself, it is just strange to see it used in a match environment.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try not to judge, because the few times I've had my gun in my hand and been scared, I'm not sure doing the right thing was as easy as some people here would like to believe.

I have never pointed a gun at any person nor used my gun in anger. I deal with many people who cannot say that on a daily basis, and for me to judge the life they live just doesn't make much sense to me.

Although I agree that showing off and trying to look "operator" at a USPSA match can be a bit much, I simply lack the ability to distinguish those people from those who deserve to live scared, as I have met both kinds.

I still think it looks funny at matches. USPSA is about as far from combat or real world as you can get. So to those if us who play this for what it is, a game, it looks funny to see somebody do it.

I don't even think the humor is in the fact that the dude performed the scan, but how poorly he performed during the entire video. He's supposedly a trainer, and making videos to promote Yeager's facility, yet he (on video no less, no 2nd takes???) forgets that he's supposed to scan 360 prior to holstering his back up gun, then awkwardly completes the task. If you're going to operate, operate. But don't try to be an example of tactics on video unless you can pull it off flawlessly. It's like a newb D shooter making a video on how to shoot like a GM.

I'm good with it. USPSA is a game. It's a game with rules, scores, winners and losers. If you want wrap something else in, fine. What I really care? Everybody's different.

I just think if yer gonna do this at the end of the stage, you'd better be doing ammo retention and cover reloads during the stage, or its all BS, and you look like a tactical Timmy poser...Saying yer doing this for training is cool, no problem with that...but either do it 100% or knock it off...Or, get out of USPSA and into IDPA...

I still think it looks funny at matches. USPSA is about as far from combat or real world as you can get. So to those if us who play this for what it is, a game, it looks funny to see somebody do it.

:cheers:

I wouldn't make fun of anyone who did this at a match but when I see it while watching shooting videos at home I definitely chuckle.

Most people who practice this on YouTube videos are pretty laughable on their own but the checking for additional threats pushes it over the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNlpnGaZx_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Put an eye patch on this guy and he would look just like Captain Ron!

post-4033-0-11314100-1400287206_thumb.jp

Edited by Carmoney

CONTACT!!!

Which direction? Come on, if you're gonna do it, do it right......
Your awareness sucks if you have to ask. That's gonna get you kilt on da streetz.

Clearly, uspsa has left an indelible training scar on you.

The genuine article studs (SWAT, Special Forces) I have watched shooting USPSA don't do the scan. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not my experience. In addition the guys I see do it generally are so slow, deliberate and theatrical that if there was a "threat" on the opposite side of where they first look they would be able to walk over from the side of the bay and hit them with a ball peen hammer. Yeah, I am glad they are enjoying the sport and hope they continue to do so but that will draw a chuckle from me pretty much every time.

Yeah, I'm wouldn't make a zit on a SWAT cops behind!! But, during a Foreign Weapons training class, the CIA agents did say CONTACT left or right, so we could exit the jeep and fire the 60mm Mortars in the right direction.......

Yeah, I'm wouldn't make a zit on a SWAT cops behind!! But, during a Foreign Weapons training class, the CIA agents did say CONTACT left or right, so we could exit the jeep and fire the 60mm Mortars in the right direction.......

Why on earth use a swat cop as an example for a threat? Try walking point...

I'm thinking that this sort of training is for individual accomplishment in the "mano a mano" type of fight. Usually from my hazy recollection if it's a "team sport" you have a small field of responsibility that everyone else is counting on you fulfilling. Probably why you can tell where they got their training by watching how they act whether it was at the Mall Dojo, police academy or a counter-terrorist unit. We're all there to have fun so don't laugh too hard at me when I come out of the "choppa" with a wild look about me. LOL

Mark, just to see the wild look in your eyes we should get them to drag the Huey out for a stage. Been ages since we have shot out of that.

Edited by Neomet

The blind tactical scan is annoying. I do see some merit in a scan of the targets to clear your head.

The thing a lot of us do that secretly annoys me is the super fast unload / clear hammer down. I like to make are my gun is clear and drop the hammer with a sight picture on a target.

Mark, just to see the wild look in your eyes we should get them to drag the Huey out for a stage. Been ages since we have shot out of that.

It's been almost a year since we shot out of the old CH-21 (flying banana)chasis. Loved it. LOL

According to the video, if I was allowed to carry multiple guns I would be a national champ in no time since I would be saving tons of time by changing guns rather then reloading :roflol:

I always do a 360 before I holster and I better not see anybody laughing dang it! And that's what I'm checking, to see if anybody is laughing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Edited by levellinebrad

I shoot with a couple of LEOs. Some do the scan with the head, others do it with just the eyes.

My sense is they believe if re-enforces what they were taught in training.

I got no problem with LEOs doing it. I sort of think when civilians do it, the are mall ninjas :sight:

With so many people coming out of CCW classes, I suspect they were told to do it in their class.

Personally, I don't do it but I have seen a couple of GM/National Champions look to see if they missed any targets. Not quite the same technique.