Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

more participation @ big matches? Just an observation

hopalong

I shot the Single Stack yesterday, and I believe it created a competitive DISadvantage at the Revolver match today, at least for me. I was frickin' tired.

Did you shoot all of SSN the day before? Either way two 14 stage back to back matches is really hauling the freight!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I felt the same way when I shot back-to-back matches in Vegas with Revolver after Production. Even with a day off between them, I was pretty wiped out.

If my only goal was to perform my absolute best in the Revolver match, I would only shoot that match, and be fresher. But I love shooting my 1911s also, and would not willingly miss the SSN.

Well it's interesting to see the chatter at this point. The ones that hate the new rule before it was a rule still do. Ok no shocker but the fact that uspsa matches are setup to follow uspsa guidelines is the reason the 8 shot makes sense. If your not going to shoot anyway or use this rule as an excuse to support not going, it's not really a valid statement on the status quo.

Guys that aren't here at the nationals sitting in hotels reading this stuff will not have the same perspective I do.

You guys that wanna shoot 32 round stages but don't like 24 round stages make no sense to me? Who cares what the round count is? IDPA is killing uspsa in revo BECAUSE they are short stages that fit well with the low capacity of the revo.

Time will tell, but it was gonna die the way it was going....

Giving it a kick to see if it would help couldn't hurt.

Being disgusted with the change is just sour grapes. If you want to shoot, shoot.

Wanna see big numbers at the area or state level? Run low/cap only matches (revo/SS/prod) separate of the open/lim and see what happens! It works at the national level. I'd love to shoot an area match for revolvers only. Bet you'd see 100's of shooters....

It wouldn't have to be an outlaw match. It would just take a simple rule change authorizing the 2 classes.

8 shot is here for good. It is a mistake that needs to be accepted. People have purchased equipment in reliance of the 8 shot rule. That fact is what saved Revolver and Limited 10 as divisions. Strader wanted them gone.

What needs to also be addressed is the competitive advantage people shooting the single stack get over those that do not or can't. A national championship should be decided on a "flat table".

Anyone with inside knowledge of the stages would also have an advantage as to which gun to use. You can guess that it is 8 round oriented but one traveling across the country shouldn't be required to bring 2 guns and ammo to make a decision that those with inside knowledge would already have.

The best solution would be a stand apart Revolver nationals and a rule change which, unfortunately, bifurcates the few revolver shooters there are.

I am sure those benefiting from the current situation do not see a problem

It's not a class change. It's a Division change. We can only change division rules every two years so it couldn't change before 2016. The only way it would change is if Revo participation increased enough to support two separate divisions which is unlikely. I really don't see the BOD voting to split the smallest division in two. Edited by Chuck Anderson

Here is one new guy's perspective. I like revolvers. I daily carry revolvers or single stack 1911s. I am going to buy an 8 shot revolver, a 627. I will shoot wherever I can. USPSA, IDPA, whatever. Right now I will shoot my 625 JM and be happy. I sincerely wish I had known enough about the game end of USPSA to buy a 627 to start with, but, hey, I have made mistakes before. A 4" 625 is still the boss IDPA ESR revolver until they change something..

There are a lot of things I do not like about USPSA and IDPA as well. I know nothing about the other revolver games. I just know that for me, a revolver makes the most sense and I will compete anywhere I can with mine. It would be nice to win a trophy or advance in the rankings to master or GM one day, but I am basically using the whole sport as a problem solving exercise anyway. At my age and in my physical condition I don't see too many trophies in the future. The harder the odds are stacked in favor of a semi auto the more I benefit. If you are ever going to learn anything, your reach has to exceed your grasp. I shoot weekly fun stuff with a USPSA revo master. I can't beat him if I am shooting my Cz. I really don't think 6 shots, 8 shots is going to be a factor in my performance until I learn a lot.

I guess to sum it up, three things I just don't care much about. One, what someone with beu coup money is shooting. I don't have millions, and wouldn't spend it on revolvers or any other guns I can't carry daily, anyway. Two, what someone with forty years and several trips to the nationals is scoring. I CAN'T beat them until I invest the time to get the skill. (Or until they get decrepit :devil:) 3 I don't give a rat turd about some kind of gun I wouldn't carry daily. I see the other divisions as being as different as a shotgun or a rifle. I just don't care if folks can shoot clay pigeons with their shotgun. I flat don't care if folks can shoot 30 rounds with out a reload. What I do care about is My ability to make A zone hits rapidly, repeatedly, and not fumble reloads or make bad decisions under the stress of competition. I suppose all the rules and such make a difference if you are the competitive sort. I am pretty much here to learn. I like revolvers, I daily carry revolvers, I hunt with revolvers, so I will shoot revolver . I almost bought an 8 shot 357, anyway, and would have but for IDPA. A 5" N frame, 8 shot 357 is a mean piece of hardware on the deer blind, calling coyotes, and under my sports coat at church on Sunday. If I can load it with specials or short Colts on Saturday afternoon and get some trigger time, great. Until I get the money for one, I will shoot my 4" 625 and be happy.

Here is one new guy's perspective. I like revolvers. I daily carry revolvers or single stack 1911s. I am going to buy an 8 shot revolver, a 627. I will shoot wherever I can. USPSA, IDPA, whatever. Right now I will shoot my 625 JM and be happy. I sincerely wish I had known enough about the game end of USPSA to buy a 627 to start with, but, hey, I have made mistakes before. A 4" 625 is still the boss IDPA ESR revolver until they change something..

There are a lot of things I do not like about USPSA and IDPA as well. I know nothing about the other revolver games. I just know that for me, a revolver makes the most sense and I will compete anywhere I can with mine. It would be nice to win a trophy or advance in the rankings to master or GM one day, but I am basically using the whole sport as a problem solving exercise anyway. At my age and in my physical condition I don't see too many trophies in the future. The harder the odds are stacked in favor of a semi auto the more I benefit. If you are ever going to learn anything, your reach has to exceed your grasp. I shoot weekly fun stuff with a USPSA revo master. I can't beat him if I am shooting my Cz. I really don't think 6 shots, 8 shots is going to be a factor in my performance until I learn a lot.

I guess to sum it up, three things I just don't care much about. One, what someone with beu coup money is shooting. I don't have millions, and wouldn't spend it on revolvers or any other guns I can't carry daily, anyway. Two, what someone with forty years and several trips to the nationals is scoring. I CAN'T beat them until I invest the time to get the skill. (Or until they get decrepit :devil:) 3 I don't give a rat turd about some kind of gun I wouldn't carry daily. I see the other divisions as being as different as a shotgun or a rifle. I just don't care if folks can shoot clay pigeons with their shotgun. I flat don't care if folks can shoot 30 rounds with out a reload. What I do care about is My ability to make A zone hits rapidly, repeatedly, and not fumble reloads or make bad decisions under the stress of competition. I suppose all the rules and such make a difference if you are the competitive sort. I am pretty much here to learn. I like revolvers, I daily carry revolvers, I hunt with revolvers, so I will shoot revolver . I almost bought an 8 shot 357, anyway, and would have but for IDPA. A 5" N frame, 8 shot 357 is a mean piece of hardware on the deer blind, calling coyotes, and under my sports coat at church on Sunday. If I can load it with specials or short Colts on Saturday afternoon and get some trigger time, great. Until I get the money for one, I will shoot my 4" 625 and be happy.

OK, I'll bite.

I'm not really sure why you are posting? It would appear your interest isn't primarily of performance or competing or even participating at larger than club level matches. This thread is about participation at big matches, a subject you seem to have no interest in.

Do you go to the golf forums and find a thread on new drivers and write that you don't want a new driver and don't care how well you hit a driver because all you care about is putting? Maybe I'm missing what you are getting at?

I'm not sure why you want to tell the readers here that all you'd spend any significant funds on is a gun you would use for daily carry. This is Shooting sport's and travel not what I carry and don't give a shit about.....

Why do IDPA shooters seem to have such a negative attitude on items having to do with USPSA? You never even address ICORE. Did this thread offend you in some way? Some of us are just trying to save revolver division at the major match level in other than IDPA. They have it down, USPSA and IPSC do not yet but many of us want it to be viable.

Well it's interesting to see the chatter at this point. The ones that hate the new rule before it was a rule still do. Ok no shocker but the fact that uspsa matches are setup to follow uspsa guidelines is the reason the 8 shot makes sense. If your not going to shoot anyway or use this rule as an excuse to support not going, it's not really a valid statement on the status quo.

Guys that aren't here at the nationals sitting in hotels reading this stuff will not have the same perspective I do.

You guys that wanna shoot 32 round stages but don't like 24 round stages make no sense to me? Who cares what the round count is? IDPA is killing uspsa in revo BECAUSE they are short stages that fit well with the low capacity of the revo.

Being disgusted with the change is just sour grapes. If you want to shoot, shoot.

Wanna see big numbers at the area or state level? Run low/cap only matches (revo/SS/prod) separate of the open/lim and see what happens! It works at the national level. I'd love to shoot an area match for revolvers only. Bet you'd see 100's of shooters....

It wouldn't have to be an outlaw match. It would just take a simple rule change authorizing the 2 classes.

8 shot is here for good. It is a mistake that needs to be accepted. People have purchased equipment in reliance of the 8 shot rule. That fact is what saved Revolver and Limited 10 as divisions. Strader wanted them gone.

What needs to also be addressed is the competitive advantage people shooting the single stack get over those that do not or can't. A national championship should be decided on a "flat table".

Anyone with inside knowledge of the stages would also have an advantage as to which gun to use. You can guess that it is 8 round oriented but one traveling across the country shouldn't be required to bring 2 guns and ammo to make a decision that those with inside knowledge would already have.

The best solution would be a stand apart Revolver nationals and a rule change which, unfortunately, bifurcates the few revolver shooters there are.

It's not a class change. It's a Division change. We can only change division rules every two years so it couldn't change before 2016. The only way it would change is if Revo participation increased enough to support two separate divisions which is unlikely. I really don't see the BOD voting to split the smallest division in two.

Yeah. It would be a change in the division adding the two classes. By the time it could happen the two years would be up.

I agree it is unfortunate and splitting the division is not a good thing. But, if you don't, it becomes the 8 shot revolver division.

When added to the fact you have a one day nationals, which according to this month's front sight is limited to 120 shooters,and a national championship which gives an advantage to those who shoot the single stack match preceeding it, you have one sorry division and a national championship worth a couple of asterisks.

My personal solution is to join most of the other Northwest shooters and leave the division. I will switch to Production. That division is large enough where a couple of shooters don't have a large enough sway to deform the competitive model and give themselves an advantage. I wonder if CZJockey is available as a handle here?

When added to the fact you have a one day nationals, which according to this month's front sight is limited to 120 shooters,and a national championship which gives an advantage to those who shoot the single stack match preceeding it, you have one sorry division and a national championship worth a couple of asterisks.

Jon, you and I know each other and have shot together. I understand your viewpoint on the whole 8-minor thing, and although I don't share the same thoughts, I respect your opinions and recognize that you're not alone in some of them.

But I don't think it's cool for you to come on here and make that comment about asterisks. I was squadded with the guys who finished in 1st and 2nd place and I'm here to tell you it was a battle worthy of a national championship. Nobody in contention would ever try to claim that shooting the Single Stack match the day before created an advantage. The top shooters are all at the point where they can figure out these stages fairly quickly. I have already explained why shooting both matches back-to-back was probably a disadvantage for me. I suspect the same is true for most of the better shooters.

Last year had a close battle and TGO came out 2nd, with a platform he's not known for. This year he was ready for all comers and TGO NEVER deserves an asterisk! He can truly say "I am Legend".

It's not a class change. It's a Division change. We can only change division rules every two years so it couldn't change before 2016. The only way it would change is if Revo participation increased enough to support two separate divisions which is unlikely. I really don't see the BOD voting to split the smallest division in two.

Yeah. It would be a change in the division adding the two classes. By the time it could happen the two years would be up.

I agree it is unfortunate and splitting the division is not a good thing. But, if you don't, it becomes the 8 shot revolver division.

My personal solution is to join most of the other Northwest shooters and leave the division. I will switch to Production. That division is large enough where a couple of shooters don't have a large enough sway to deform the competitive model and give themselves an advantage. I wonder if CZJockey is available as a handle here?

Wow, now there is a bunch of whiney sour grapes!!! I agree that I will forever be the guy who won revolver when Jerry didn't show up, but you my friend I imagine didn't even show up. And if you think SS is not a worthy and difficult category, show me where you have tried the division. Again, all talk, or in this case type. You are like so many internet experts, commenting on issues from outside. Type like a hero but can you shoot as well? I doubt it.

You assume you are protected from a response because there is nothing connecting you to the reality of your comments but an invisible wireless connection. Well, here you go pal. I do hope we get to meet some time and since you don't go by your name, please introduce yourself and remind me of your comments and we can further discuss these and other interesting issues. Guys like you make me want to practice even more....

BTW, enjoy production.

WOW. I thought that the next big dilemma in revo division was gonna be 9mm or 38 short colt. (taste great, less filling) you remember the old commercial. me personally, I'm kind of partial to 38 special for the new game.

my hope is that in 2 years we get 38 special to be the minimum caliber to run major in Limited 10, or let us run 8 shot major in revo.

the one thing that I wish people would stop harping on is open revo sub division. just shoot open or shoot ICORE,

If you don't like the rules, do like I did. don't reup your membership. I did it with IDPA, cant reload moving behind cover crap. and I do encourage every member in IDPA to not reup, maybe BIll will get the hint that his tiger teams are bad for business.

Underlug,

You have been here for years and I have appreciated your input, however, i don't know if I'm saddened, angered or disappointed in your last post.

Claiming that competitors who shot the SS nationals had an unfair advantage, sounds like whining, but I know that's not what you intended. Look at the steel, standards, and short stages where it clearly made no difference whether they were shot day(s) before or the day of, would not have made a difference. The field stages could be figured out within the time limits so no advantage of shooting vs seeing the stages the day before. I would also challenge any belief that a national champion, or anybody who wanted to be one, would show up on a Sunday to shot the biggest match when they could see it on Saturday, even see how the SS shooters were shooting it. You don't have to shoot the stage to plan for it, if you could see it. I think on this point, your not seeing it as how a champion would take every opportunity afforded them to win, which includes getting to the venue early and seeing the course or being better prepared than anybody else.

Also, I'm sorry but other sports with national level of competition, pretty well expect you will need to invest in higher level equipment. Golfers go through sets of clubs that are constantly changing, same holds true for cycling, tennis, motor sports, fishing, hunting, nearly all equipment based sports. If you want to be considered or compete at this level, you will sprend the money for the equipment, otherwise you are, and always will be a weekend player. This is partly what divides pro's from weekend duffers, no matter how good weekenders become. The next level is waiting.

The competitive model is not compromised by a few, it has evolved for the many.

This I am sorry for, Seeing you go to another division in spite your love for revolvers, over such a "minor" improvement that even if you feel put you at a disadvantage, can be brought back to parity though acquiring different equipment.

And I feel your comments of "sorry division" and "asterisk" is just way off base. Regardless, I wish you the best in production and hope you will return.

TGO, you are right. I shouldn't have posted here. This thread obviously isn't the place for a new shooter's perspective. Where's the door around here, anyway? I will try not to let it hit me in the rear on my way out.

Well, Its not about being new. That's not it. If you have an opinion and want to voice it, expect others who may not share your sentiment to respond from their point of view. Your comments obviously hit a sore spot with me and others. It's just taking responsibility for actions. Say what you want but expect others to do the same.

I hope you do not quit revolver. We need more, not less in the division. BTW, you are not the only one that's unhappy I won the Revolver Nationals. I bet we could start a "why does Rob get to win the Revo division" thread here somewhere!!

Revolver shooters are switching to production in the northwest? Who?

I've had production shooters in the northwest ask how soon until they can get a 929 and start feeding it their production ammo.

Revolver shooters bring out more revolver shooters. Revolver matches bring out revolver shooters. The stand alone nationals, and the western states match are what's doing the most right now, this year, for revolver. What we need to do is host more revo only matches.

When should we having the Northwest SS/R championship?

doc38, your sentiments have been echoed by others in other threads. I call shenanigans. You said you carry revolvers. Would you trust your life to some piece of crap because you don't want to spend money on it? I mean there are people that do that, power to them. I hope their gun goes bang if they have to use it. You said you hunt with revolvers. Would you waste all of your time to buy your license, get the tags, set up in a spot, pick out your beast of choice, and have a junky revolver you can't make the shot with? Do you load your self defense and hunting guns with lead wadcutters because they cost 12 bucks a box? No one is telling you that you can't shoot your 4 inch 625, do whatever you want. There is no one involved in shooting sports that is not spending a lot of money to be competitive. Revolvers are one of the most expensive things in my opinion because there's not a lot of people that have the knowledge to fix them.

Since you are new to shooting sports, some explanation about ESR in IDPA. They split the revolver division to accommodate moon clips and now they have ESR and SSR. Guess which two divisions in IDPA have the worst attendance?

underlug - At least there was a Nationals this year and last year, as opposed to having a small amount of revolver shooters mixed in with Production guys. The 6 and 8 shot thing has been argued to death. People want to shoot 8 shot guns. They even want to shoot them in ICORE, which is a Revolver only game. The IRC is the ICORE Nationals Event and they formally recognize 6 shot Open guns and 6 Shot moonclip fed guns as a special recognition category. There were 12 Limited and 3 Open shooters. Besides, there's a few real contenders at the USPSA Revolver Nationals and then everyone else...just like in Production. Are you going to feel better if you go to Production and shoot a match and have a better overall placement because there were 20 unclassified guys with Glock 26s and three magazines shooting the same match? I mean if it's such a sorry division, it shouldn't be very difficult for you to win the Revolver Nationals.

You obviously phrased your post ambiguously on purpose, but I'll spell out what you didn't have the guts to say. Jerry M and Rob L are better shooters than you, me, and most other people on this forum. I find it extremely dubious that moving to 8 shot minor was some magic, hail Mary pass set up through a series of elaborate backroom moves so they could compete. It seems to me that people are coming up with a bunch of stupid excuses for matches they didn't go to regarding a division they don't shoot.

This whole thing about people showing up for 6 shot guns and pulling out their trusty 3 inch Model 10s with speedloaders and trying USPSA is a fallacy. Until people stop blaming irrelevant circumstances, I don't foresee any growth to the division.

Back on topic, at our most recent monthly match, which was a special classifier, we had 4 revo's. Last month we had 1, me! By letting one of our local hot shots sample my back up gun's trigger I may have another for next years Revo Nats. He shot and did well at the SS Nats this year. So Tim if you're watching note there were several aggregate titles available, could see you easily grabbing one. I'll even let you use my main gear at a local match soon, if you want.

It may take a while for any increase in Area's, hopefully now we can see an uptic in local and Sectional Matches. Some of it is just showing up, shooting Revo and talking up anyone who will stand still!

It occurs to me that in most USPSA divisions, one particular type of gun has become dominant. For example, the STI/SVI 2011 platform rules Limited Division, and you could certainly make a strong argument that the heavy-frame CZ and Tanfo pistols are becoming dominant in Production.

These options change over time, as new technology develops and shooters recognize (or at least perceive) a competitive advantage to adopting new equipment options.

Back to the original topic--I'm going to be shooting multiple area and sectional matches this year in Revolver Division, after several years of shooting Production and Single Stack at those same matches. The 8-minor option has reinvigorated my interest in wheelgunning.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I like plenty of good competition--plaques and prizes don't mean much if they are uncontested--so I hope a bunch of you guys will push away from your keyboards and come out and shoot Revo with me.

"Do you go to the golf forums and find a thread on new drivers and write that you don't want a new driver and don't care how well you hit a driver because all you care about is putting? "-TGO

" Golfers go through sets of clubs that are constantly changing... If you want to be considered or compete at this level, you will spend the money for the equipment, otherwise you are, and always will be a weekend player. This is partly what divides pro's from weekend duffers, no matter how good weekenders become." -lora

I love golfing/USPSA analogies. :sight: No really. Holes/stages; clubs/guns; balls/bullets; foursomes/squadding.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, "Why do you have more than one gun?" Answer: "Why do you have more than one golf club?"

Just trying to lighten the mood, but on topic: I am a returning shooter (production and limited formerly) who would seriously like to get a 929 and shoot as many matches as I can afford to get to. It just looks like the most fun division. I was considering a 625, but I like the 8 shot minor idea better.

Edited by TBear

It just looks like the most fun division. I was considering a 625, but I like the 8 shot minor idea better.

It is the most fun division and contrary to what you might think after reading all of these major/minor threads we all get along pretty well in person.

I love golfing/USPSA analogies. :sight: No really. Holes/stages; clubs/guns; balls/bullets; foursomes/squadding.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, "Why do you have more than one gun?" Answer: "Why do you have more than one golf club?"

Just trying to lighten the mood, but on topic: I am a returning shooter (production and limited formerly) who would seriously like to get a 929 and shoot as many matches as I can afford to get to. It just looks like the most fun division. I was considering a 625, but I like the 8 shot minor idea better.

First of all TBear, that was spot on funny.

Second, "looks like the fun division", is just plain spot on correct. And

Third, I hope S&W doesn't under estimate the demand the 929 is apparently having, and gets them out sooner than later.

I'll be taking some time off from my M&Ps and concentrating on revolver only this year.

I'm REALLY glad my 625 and my 6-round 686s are still relevant (preferred) guns in IDPA, since that's the game I enjoy most anyway.

Underlug,

You have been here for years and I have appreciated your input, however, i don't know if I'm saddened, angered or disappointed in your last post.

Claiming that competitors who shot the SS nationals had an unfair advantage, sounds like whining, but I know that's not what you intended. Look at the steel, standards, and short stages where it clearly made no difference whether they were shot day(s) before or the day of, would not have made a difference. The field stages could be figured out within the time limits so no advantage of shooting vs seeing the stages the day before. I would also challenge any belief that a national champion, or anybody who wanted to be one, would show up on a Sunday to shot the biggest match when they could see it on Saturday, even see how the SS shooters were shooting it. You don't have to shoot the stage to plan for it, if you could see it. I think on this point, your not seeing it as how a champion would take every opportunity afforded them to win, which includes getting to the venue early and seeing the course or being better prepared than anybody else.

Also, I'm sorry but other sports with national level of competition, pretty well expect you will need to invest in higher level equipment. Golfers go through sets of clubs that are constantly changing, same holds true for cycling, tennis, motor sports, fishing, hunting, nearly all equipment based sports. If you want to be considered or compete at this level, you will sprend the money for the equipment, otherwise you are, and always will be a weekend player. This is partly what divides pro's from weekend duffers, no matter how good weekenders become. The next level is waiting.

The competitive model is not compromised by a few, it has evolved for the many.

This I am sorry for, Seeing you go to another division in spite your love for revolvers, over such a "minor" improvement that even if you feel put you at a disadvantage, can be brought back to parity though acquiring different equipment.

And I feel your comments of "sorry division" and "asterisk" is just way off base. Regardless, I wish you the best in production and hope you will return.

Rob won because he was the better shooter there. I have no doubt. But certain shooters had an advantage over others. As a sportsman, that should bother him and others that had that advantage. Inferiror shooters percentages are invalid in comparison to the shooters with that advantage. Period.

8 shot will envelope the division. 6 shooters equipment will be inferior for 99% of the matches. Unless a match is specifically designed for revolver, or, entirely open fields with no 6+ arrays. it will be thus.

8 shot revolver is a lot of fun. I think there is almost more pressure and challenge not missing to avoid a reload and destroying the advantage than screwing up the 6 and 2 dance. I own 5 8 shot revolvers and have an ulner nerve problem. The rule change was to my individual advantage, but, it still screwed up the division. That a bunch of 8 shooters like it doesn't mean much.

Congratulate me. My last classifier was 95%. :). Anybody who shot with me knows......

The division needs two classes to save the equipment of existing shooters, keep classification integrity, and preserve it as an entry level division

As is, eventually the division will devolve into a smaller group of people who can afford $1200 8 shots.

Dion't worry about the division going away. It has been essentialy tried along with limited 10 and the idea sank.

A stand alone national championship in place of the MCC will sell better than the current national championship.

But a division where good people's equipment has been effectively obsoleted (includes 6 shot minor) and the national championship is a tack on for the convenience of some and gives certain competitors an advantage over others, is not a division I wish to be a part of at this time.

So, with perfect illogic, i will try to get my $1700 accu-shadow up to speed and shoot production

Good luck to all

Edited by underlug

8 revolvers signed up for area 1 this weekend, only 6 shot it. 2 of us had a great race to the finish, too bad we spent a weekend and a ton of money to not even be announced at the end...