Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

more participation @ big matches? Just an observation

hopalong

Not too impressive so far if you ask me.

2013 area 6 ------5

2014 area 6 ------4

2013 area 3 ------2

2014 area 3 ------5

2013 area 5 ------2

2014 area 5 ------7

2013 area 8 ------8

2014 area 8 ------8

2013 indiana sstk, pro, rev ------18

2014 -----------------------------14

2013 Mississippi classic ---------12

2014 -----------------------------15

Just on the matches with this year entries vs. Last on matches that traditionally have more revolver turnout than usuall.

May be a little early, but not too impressive. Hope for USPSA Revolver division there is way more intrest at the club level.

Hop

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After several years of not shooting much revolver in USPSA, I have signed up to shoot Revolver at a bunch of major matches in 2014.

If we can't get a decent level of participation this year, with the new rules allowing more equipment options than ever before, that will bode badly for the future of the division.

So guys, if you care about that at all, it's time to put your money where your mouth is and sign up for Revo at the sectional and area matches--at least those in your neck of the woods.

Bubber and the gang still be shooting revolver. We just participated in the Indiana Rev/SS/pro. I'm shooting the Mississippi classic. Revolver nationals. Area 4 for sure. I'm also shooting more ICORE this year. Irc, Rockey mtn, Midwest, central, and southern.

Of course we would have shot them with 6 shot guns if that's all we had.

Edited by ChrisC

All the area and sectionals I have shot in the last two years were revolver.

Area 7 in 2012 had like 12 entries, 3 were GM's.

One bailed from a broken foot.

I do see a couple guys on facebook in area 7 that seem to be saying they are shooting 8 minor guns this year.

This may or may not be my last season as rev, some of it depends on how the IRC goes this year.

Area 6 originally had 8 revolver shooters signed up. Received an e-mail from match director reminding us that this was a Level III match and required 10 to be recognized. There are now 4 signed up.

Just curious, does the match director have the discretion to recognize a division if there are not the required number in that division?

I think to really get more people involved in revolver division there needs to be some kind of change that targets 6 shot .357/.38 special revolvers with speed loaders which I am willing to bet are more common than moonclipped .40/10mm, .45 acp, or 8 shot revolvers. I don't really know how this would be done outside of innovative scoring factors or splitting the division IDPA style (who wants to split an already empty division) but I think something needs to happen.

Honestly it is kind of sad... I could probably use a J frame and win my local match's revolver division just because there is a good chance no one else would be using one

Just my 2 cents

I believe once the 929 is out you will see more there still is a lot of scuttlebutt about it but I don't see much of anything that's going to make people convert to revolver unless they want to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It will take more than 1 year. There will have to be a buzz created and it will take time. And it could ultimately fall back to the same level as before.

We must stay positive and focused. We all need to make it interesting and fun.

I just drove 12 hours to a match that had 2 revos, other guy bailed to production, so it was just me. This 8 shot BS will destroy revo, in my opinion, those that don't have them will no longer shoot revo. Sorry to rant, but to me, this is USPSA's version of nobammacare, "let's pass it, so we can see what's in it" then and only then will we see how stupid an idea it really was. People that had absolutely no idea about revo shooters or revo division voted on it (just like guvmnt) it was implemented without any thought at all ( let's scrap some classifiers, now add them back) and the surprise, surprise new 929 will be the answer to all our ills (just like the exchanges) but no one can get one and they are about 200% overpriced. Is it just me, or does anyone else see the similarities here??? I love shooting revo, and will continue to do so, but Area 6 this year may very well be my last ever Level 3 and forget ever going to Nats again. I'll just stick to 6 Division in ZSA and maybe shoot 8 Division for fun with my 327. My USPSA Club (NC 29) will continue to strive to get new shooters into the sport, but let's face it, the new guys with 686's or Ruger GP's and speedloaders, won't go revo if someone shows up with an 8 shot. That ends my rant, now to get ready to spend all the time and $$ to shoot Area 6 in revo, to have what little fun is left, with whoever stays in the Division. be SAFE and have Fun guys, hope our new USPSA Pres. gets rid of this idea (hint, hint Jack)

Some of us who have been shooting Revo from the beginning had considered, quite extensively, the 8 shot minor issue. It was not pass it to see what's in it. It was more of we're drowning here, let's see what floats. It may not work, but the past trends were quickly leading to extinction. There may be nothing to use as life support. But to some of us, not trying wasn't an option.

I do truly believe that this year will be no different than the past. But, if an 8 shot minor wins the Revo Nats, or even places consistently competitively (as in it looked like it was the shooter not the gear), next year will be different. Maybe not Production participation numbers, but at least SS numbers. If the trend continues to show that both options are viable, which is the actual question, then we may well see numbers putting Revo into 4th place!

I may be an eternal optimist, and I do realize if we do succeed and get the numbers up it may well change the tenor of the Division, but I am going to be there trying (at least when I can get the time/money) and hoping for the best.

I just drove 14 hours to a match that had 12 revos. Most minor. As sam pointed out there were fewer Revo shooters than last year but the match was also held a month earlier. Haters gonna hate. I know in my heart 6 is not equal to 8 a few want to bes to differ but the same people are bringing two guns to nationals. 8 shot rule isn't the magic bean stalk, it isn't going to grow revolver shooters overnight.

I don't know about major matches yet, but I've seen a lot more revos locally that are all 8-shots. Since the rule change was "officially on the books" 2-months before the matches listed, there hasn't really been enough time to let what's happening catch up with the data. If it gets closer to the end of the year, or first of next year and the trend continues you may have some data to point at. I personally haven't switched over for a number of reasons, but the 929 is among them (waiting for S&W to catch up to the demand).

Chris I wouldn't characterize those who feel strongly that the new rule is bad, as haters. One of the personality traits that make us Revo is passion, and I think that is what they are expressing. I hope those who feel it was a bad idea are proven wrong, and then come back into the fold. And if they are proven right, I'm willing to admit it and hopefully work towards something that will work. I'd much rather deal with those that are passionate and principled than those who are apathetic or timid.

I haven't even been close to going to a match yet this year! Starting to get cranky even.

Just hope my first match of the year isn't the Revo Nats, though it may be better that way.

Edited by pskys2

Considering Area 6 filled in a few very short weeks, I couldn't get a slot. And, the other area matches require significant travel distance. The only measurement I'm truly interested in is the local matches. I see increase in Florida. If you have local increases it will eventually filter upward to higher level matches. I don't believe higher level matches are the early measures of the rule change. Btw, it's only been 2 months since the rule change, not everyone had an 8 shot gun in the waiting and it takes time for the 8 shooters to start impressing its enjoyment to the other shooters of USPSA who were turned off by standing reloads.

Considering Area 6 filled in a few very short weeks, I couldn't get a slot. And, the other area matches require significant travel distance. The only measurement I'm truly interested in is the local matches. I see increase in Florida. If you have local increases it will eventually filter upward to higher level matches. I don't believe higher level matches are the early measures of the rule change. Btw, it's only been 2 months since the rule change, not everyone had an 8 shot gun in the waiting and it takes time for the 8 shooters to start impressing its enjoyment to the other shooters of USPSA who were turned off by standing reloads.

additionally, besides (ussually) inflated prices of gun broker. They arent really available for purchase that easily

Chris I wouldn't characterize those who feel strongly that the new rule is bad, as haters. One of the personality traits that make us Revo is passion, and I think that is what they are expressing. I hope those who feel it was a bad idea are proven wrong, and then come back into the fold. And if they are proven right, I'm willing to admit it and hopefully work towards something that will work. I'd much rather deal with those that are passionate and principled than those who are apathetic or timid.

I haven't even been close to going to a match yet this year! Starting to get cranky even.

Just hope my first match of the year isn't the Revo Nats, though it may be better that way.

Exactly, please don't consider me as a hater, I do all I can every day to get more folks shooting, especially revo shooters. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, and hope revo grows by leaps and bounds. Just got off the phone with Cliff, and he is as disgusted as I am. Again, just ranting, hope everyone stays SAFE and has FUN, because all BS aside, that's what this is supposed to be all about.

It has driven a few people off. I'm going to shoot the gun that gives me the best opportunity to win as long as the rules are what they are its going to be the 8. Being passionate about the sport and your 6 shot revolvers is great. Sign up and shoot it. There is no magic pill to make revolver division grow. Shoot shoot shoot not type type type. (Unless your typing about shooting :))

Edited by ChrisC

At first I thought the 8 shot rule was great. Then, I realized I'd need to buy one, get it worked, dump a ton of money in clips, etc. I don't shoot USPSA that much but planned to do more this year with a great local club and a major close to home. But, that's not going to happen, so -1 existing revo shooter from the pack.

I'm happy for you who are enjoying the change though. I'd be there if I wanted to dump the cash but I don't.

For me it boils down to which gun I like to shoot. The 627 I've got just shoots great. It's more accurate than my 625, it doesn't beat my hand up and it's cheaper to feed once past the initial costs. At some point I'll decide which really gives me a better chance.

Wouldn't it be grand if it turns out that a 6 shot still reigns supreme? Maybe the Revo Nats will help shed some light.

Area 6 originally had 8 revolver shooters signed up. Received an e-mail from match director reminding us that this was a Level III match and required 10 to be recognized. There are now 4 signed up.

Just curious, does the match director have the discretion to recognize a division if there are not the required number in that division?

You know would have been nice? If instead of telling the 8 revo shooters that they would not recognized, the MD posted on this forum or others that hey, the match is full but I'll make room for two more Revos that want to sign up. Maybe some of the Revos that couldn't get in on the initial sign up could have entered. And if that didn't work, then tell the others about the situation and let them drop if they wanted to

problem with revo Nats is that it is the SS Nats, all 24 round stages. The 29-32 round field course are what makes revo fun, in my opinion. If the stages are set so as not to make the 8 shot advantage painfully obvious, the results will be BS. I just shot the RO Invitational yesterday in Frostproopf, Fl. and there were the typical 4- 8 round arrays, with NO place to see all 4 targets from anywhere else. Or the stage with a popper, 2 static and a swinger (7 rounds from 1 spot) how does an 8 shot not have total clear advantage?? This is akin to allowing 13 rounds in production, only in Glocks, how well would that go over with anyone but Glock owners???