Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF-100 Is it worth it?

k, I load for USPSA and I also load for some other things. Is the RF-100 worth the money for having the primers filled as you reload? Or is that just 9000-10000 primers I could have bought? I just don't want it to sit there and feel I could have bought another head set up or something else.

Thank you

I love my RF100 - I couldn't imagine loading the primer tubes manually. Of 4 people near by that reload: 2 started manually but now have RF100, myself and another started with RF100. All shoot USPSA or IDPA. FWIW, all four of us have case feeders, and three have bulletfeeders.

Edited by trgt

I agree, "plucking" primer off a flip tray can be very tedious. My solution was the new version of the Vibra Prime. Mine works great, and at $55, there's no need to justify the purchase price, just buy one!

Is the Dillon one a bit nicer? Probably a little. Is it worth the extra money? That's for you to decide.

I must be a cheap bugger. I just have 10 primer tubes loaded and ready. Just can't see paying hundreds of $$$ for a machine to do a very simple task. I guess being retired affords me the time to do these things.

I have two and it they are definitely worth it if you load a volume of ammunition. I would never want to load pick up tubes again any other way that involves me holding a tube in anyway. I loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds without them and just thinking about it gives me flashbacks of cramps to this day.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

wow, I am going to get one then. I have been loading primer tubes for quite a while. Back when I was shooting silhouette I was using a single stage machine with a RCBS hand primer. That took me a long time to load my .270 Ren's. I have a Bullet feeder and a case feeder, I know the feeling about not living with out them now. I never want to shove my fingers in the press to drop a bullet on top of a round. Now I can't wait to get it.

With a bullet feeder and an RF100 I can load upwards of 1200 rounds an hour.

That rate is to just pull the handle and reload the RF100, case feeder, and bullet feeder.

I would rather spend my time in dry fire, or just about anything except loading primer tubes.

Edited by ktm300

I've got one and love it. Like ktm300 says, you can really crank out the ammo with a bullet feeder and RF100. What convinced me to buy one and a hygrometer, was this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139159&hl=

Wow. I've been on the fence about an RF but this may have pushed me over. I am going to go home tonight and at a minimum swab out my pickup tubes.

Had one but ended up selling it. I can load my ten pick up tubes plenty fast and I know that I don't have any upside down primers. I read too many mixed reviews to give me confidence in the unit.

With the addition of the speed adjustment, upside down primers in a RF100 are caused by operator error. Run it too fast and primers may flip. Run it at just enough speed to move the primers and flipping is virtually eliminated. It should take the full 2 minutes the timer runs for all primers to load in the tube. Once it is adjusted all you have to do is spend 5 seconds to dump the tray and turn it on and go back to loading. When you are ready for primers they should be ready. No more spending time pecking at primer trays...the RF100 is a great addition that helps make a loading room more efficient. Well worth the money.

jj

Got mine in a package deal when I bought the 650 press. Probably would not have bought one if it wasn't in the deal now that I'm used to it I haven't picked a primer pick up tube up nor a flip tray in some time. I like Winchester Primers and one will stick but a slight tap with a wrench will get them flowing again.

Bought the change over to large primers and will try that this afternoon loading some 45's.