Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are Salomon shoes so popular for shooters?

JPG

I have my Aliexpress Solomon's for three months now and wear them for shooting and occasions daily wear. So far one of the strings broke and ordered a replacement pair from REI. The ones that came with the shoes are different. They are larger diameter and appear to be a different material than the Kevlar replacements from REI. The rest of the shoe seems to be of good quality and waterproof. The only bad thing I noticed is that the molded in cleats wear out quickly. Don't know if that is the case with the ones purchased sate side.

Still I am satisfied since they only cost me $35 delivered.

The cleats on my "Real" Salomons have worn off too, rather quickly actually.

My "Fake" Salomons are are hodling up well to 3-4 matches and practice a month. still no issues with them so far. The only thing I have found is where you can tuck your laces in under the tongue is sewed a bit small so you really have to jam the lace holder and laces in there, but I wouldn't consider that an issue.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nike Landsharks, good enough for Dave, good enough for me:

Sevigny_Dave_Rimfire-1.jpg

Looks like Sports Authority is selling them for a whopping $48.

A local payless or famous type shoe store always has deals about every August just in time for the kids going back to school, buy one pair of shoes, get another pair of whatever at 1/2 off.

EDIT: I am not a sponsored shooter.

It looks like Dave thinks Brooke needs something else! These are photos of the cleaning process during the Nationals in St. George...

https://www.facebook.com/262329953785429/photos/pcb.854867757864976/854867687864983/?type=1

https://www.facebook.com/262329953785429/photos/pcb.854867757864976/854867657864986/?type=1

Edited by ChuckS

• 3 weeks later...

I wore mine during the ICORE Northwest Regional, and shot the whole match in rainy wet conditions. My feet stayed dry, and I had exceptional traction in the muddy conditions. I'm now a true believer, and when I got home ordered another pair. Very much worth the money.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I never expected Salomons to be so popular. When I looked for a better shoe because my feet hurt after a few hours at any match I went to. I started buying different shoes. I bought 8 different pairs but when I tried the Salomons the comfort was fantastic and the traction was really good. It just so happen Salomon and Rudy Project do business together so that is how it happened. Salomon sponsored my teams and we promoted them on FB. I think it has to do with the quality of shoe because people are not going to spend that kind of money on things that do not work. Not ever shoe is for everyone and there are some really good alternatives like inov8s but overall I like the more sturdiness of the Salomons. They are now coming out with Police and Military shoes and boots. Thanks for liking Salomons they are a great bunch of guys!

• 1 month later...

I've got a question for the speedcross 3 experts. do you use the CS model or non-CS model?

for those who don't know the CS is clima-shield, basically water proofing.

I shoot in dry weather probably 90% of the time. but there is the odd day when it rains (and one recently where we where in nearly ankle deep water in parts of a stage).

So with that in mind I think the CS version will be of benefit to help keep my feet dry BUT not if that means they won't breathe on the hot days.

or does this mean I need a regular model for hot weather an a CS model for winter?

anyone here tried both versions and have an opinion?

(PS, talking genuine models not the ali baba knockoffs).

BeerBaron:

I have the non CS model for the regular conditions up to light rain, and I like them a lot.

If it's a muddy swamp I end using a more aggressive cleat, the Nike LandShark.

Best of luck.

before this I mainly used Nike air pegasus 29 TRAIL. which like the salomon's are a trail running shoe. they are fantasic, very light, very breathable and big, soft, grippy sole (great for fast stops). but they are hard to get now and nike don't seem to have a decent trail shoe in my parts.

When it got wet I switched to a pair of cheap xblades cleats that have massive rubber paddles on them. but they are also soft rubber so don't slip on the odd hard surface you get. but my feet still got soaked.

these are the nike ones:

524395038_1.jpg

these are the xblades (ugly as hell but great grip on mud, grass, and still ok on smooth hard surfaces). the nike landsharks are ok, but you slip all over the joint on any hard surface.

post-50660-0-92927300-1420682022_thumb.j

I've got a question for the speedcross 3 experts. do you use the CS model or non-CS model?

for those who don't know the CS is clima-shield, basically water proofing.

I shoot in dry weather probably 90% of the time. but there is the odd day when it rains (and one recently where we where in nearly ankle deep water in parts of a stage).

So with that in mind I think the CS version will be of benefit to help keep my feet dry BUT not if that means they won't breathe on the hot days.

or does this mean I need a regular model for hot weather an a CS model for winter?

anyone here tried both versions and have an opinion?

(PS, talking genuine models not the ali baba knockoffs).

IMO, if you've got ankle deep water it won't matter if the Speedcross is waterproof or not. Your feet will still get soaked from water coming in the tops. If it's warm, I'd rather have the more breathable pair (non-CS) so they'll dry quicker and a couple extra pairs of dry socks. I wear hiking boots when it's cold, and the non-CS version when it's warm, FWIW.