Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are Salomon shoes so popular for shooters?

JPG

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all the positive comments about these Salomon shoes I just ordered the Speedcross 3 in black from Zappos. I normally wear a 12 in sneakers but they are almost too short so since Zappos had 12.5 and the comments on here say they run just a little short I got 1/2 size larger. Can't wait for them to come in.

I picked these up at Cabelas and they are awesome only 39.99 on sale and they also have them at dicks.\ with free shipping. I couldn't justify the price tag for the solomons when i compared both as I tried them both on.

pDSP1-16537460p275w.jpg

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23153296&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:23153296:16537470:MENS%20ATHLETIC%20FOOTWEAR&cagpspn=pla&CAWELAID=120138600001029493&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120138600000329563&cadevice=c

Edited by Oskino

I went over the pair I received direct from China with a fine tooth comb and could not tell any difference from the ones I paid $125 for. All the packaging and tags appear to be legitimate and I have been wearing that pair for months now with no complaints.

Is everyone who ordered from Aliexpress having these results?

Just got my speed cross from Ali. I do not have anything to compare them to but the seem to be good quality and are comfortable.

Only strange thing is the did not come in a box but packed in tight fitting plastic without any protection. Has anyone received theirs shipped this way?

Just got my speed cross from Ali. I do not have anything to compare them to but the seem to be good quality and are comfortable.

Only strange thing is the did not come in a box but packed in tight fitting plastic without any protection. Has anyone received theirs shipped this way?

I've gotten two pairs of them direct from China this way. The box triggers some kind of import/export tariff/tax so they ship without it.

I still can't get over the fact that they're Made in Vietnam... Funny that China is now losing jobs due to even cheaper labor elsewhere in the world.

Edited by razorfish

I still can't get over the fact that they're Made in Vietnam... Funny that China is now losing jobs due to even cheaper labor elsewhere in the world.

I have 2 pairs of Saloman's, a pair of Speedcross 3's that I bought on Aliexpress and a pair of XA 3D Ultras that I paid $145 for from Cabelas. Both were made in Vietnam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered a pair a week ago today, received them on Thursday and shot with them this weekend. They are worth the investment! I ordered them my regular size and they fit correct.

I feel they helped shave 50% off my times and 90% more accurate... Ok, Not really, but they did make me feel much more stylish....On a serious note, you will feel a difference when moving on gravel or grass, they definitely stick better and are very comfortable.

Ordered mine through www.ShoeBuy.com/salomon-speedcross-3/658. Shoes were priced at $124.95 but they offer a sale code for 20% off which brought it to $99.96 with free shipping.

Edited by bajaholic

My Speedcross purchase from Aliexpress just took a turn for the worse. On the fifth wearing one of the speed laces pulled out of the connector. Had to order a replacement kit from REI. Still reserving final opinion till overall quality can be established.

Just an FYI to those ordering Speedcross 3 from Aliexpress, I placed an order and received it last week and right out of the packaging I can immediately tell that it's an imitation. The tongue is way shorter than the original, the lace material is weak and the first squeeze on the lock tab it broke. The sole material seems stiffer than original but I compared it to a used one. It says Clima Shield on it and CS doesn't come in that color. I paid $40.38 shipped for it, awesome deal compared to a $125 original but I'd rather have the real thing. Again, this is just an FYI.

My Speedcross 3 in black from Zappos came in today. I'm glad I ordered 1/2 size larger because they fit about the same as my normal shoes. If I would have ordered my normal size I'm guessing they would be too small. Quality looks to be very good on these shoes. Only had a few minutes to try them on before work but first impressions they are very comfortable! I'll get a chance to try them out in our local club match Sunday and if they perform as well as they look I will be happy.

Got the right sized Salomon's this time. They had a tacticool color in the store I ordered from so I got those too... Checked them pretty thoroughly and I'm sure they probably aren't made by Salomon but they are pretty exact. Even have tags and warranty info cards on them. For $40 for 2 pair I'll take it for now! post-41978-140009664764_thumb.jpg

It will be interesting to see how these knock off Speedcross 3 shoes hold up over time. Usually knock off products look identical to their real counterparts but usually have build or material quality issues.

Realistically the primary feature of the Speedcross 3 shoes is the tread pattern and rubber compound used on the sole. These knock off shoes may be able to mimic the tread pattern, but they may be using a completely different rubber compound. Some people stating that the rubber knobs feel "Stiffer" than the normal shoes is a tell tale sign of a different rubber compound being used.

I would rather spend $100+ on a pair of "Real" shoes and know the quality and consistency of the product I am buying. Verses buying a knock off for half the price and rolling the dice on it being functionally or a quality equivalent of the real thing.

I think that people make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to the cost of shoes. Spending $100+ on high quality shoes is a drop in the bucket from an overall shooting expense perspective. Shoes are your "Tires" and yes, we are racing around the range. Do you think that serious motorsports competitors are trying to use cheap knock off tires when racing? NOPE. They use the real thing because they know the value of using the real thing.

If you want to save money in this sport, shoot less rounds in your training sessions and dry fire the drills instead. If you shoot 1000 less rounds by using a live fire / dry fire blend of training that is at least $100 in savings.

Normally CHA-LEE I agree with you, but this time I agree to disagree.

I have the real thing, and decided to compare the alternative. Thus far fit and feel is exactly the same. Time will tell on wear, but for $40 I'd be willing to wager that 2 pair will last as long as my originals.

And yeah they kind of are our tires, but any shoes really will do. Comparing these shoes to racing tires isn't really the same, as I've seen excellent shooters running around in their everyday shoes.

But that's why life is so fun, everyone has different opinions and choices available. What works for you or the other guy may not work for me.

And $40 is really nothing if they don't work, at least I'll know and can share with others.

Edited by Vanniek71

Just jumped on this bandwagon myself. I ordered a pair of Speedcross 3 CS's from Amazon.

Got mine today. 100% impressed so far. Of course I'm not going to give a big review after just trying them on. After OH State I'll know if I like them.

Received mine from Aliexpress (Koach Trading). They look and feel nice, the 9.5 may be just a bit small so ordering a 10 too. Overall initial impression is very good for $35, time will tell if the hold up.

I ordered 1 pair to try it out and if these things last at least 6 months then I'd say they're money well spent. My original Speedcross 3 treads are almost to the point where I'll lose traction. It was bought back in December 2013 with 2-3 matches a month.

I shot on the Salomons all last summer. I enjoyed them, but they were almost too narrow and the sole was too thin. You could feel every rock underfoot. It wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Switched this year to the Innov-8 Trailroc 245s. Digging them so far.

2shoe.jpg

Edited by Zeke013

I'm an inov-8 man myself.

I have my own opinions about why there was such a surge in popularity of the Salomons but I should probably keep that to myself. I wouldn't want to come across the wrong way.