Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Pistol Prices

AICS308

Mike,

You did not read what I wrote in the light I meant it. There are plenty of great guns built by quite a few gunsmiths who know how to do things right. You choose what works for you and that's great. I will choose what works for me. All is good. See you on the range.

Lee

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are one who is convinced a Kia is just a good of a car as a Mercedes or BMW or other high-end car, no one will convince you that an SVI is better than a STI. That's ok,

Ok so it is this type of non sense car metaphors that can over hype the product to the point that when you get it, it doesn't live up to the hype.

Kia? Really? You consider bedell cheely, Limcat a Kia??

In that case it's sad to say that in the last decade all of our national open and limited champions dominated the sport driving Kia's...

The problem here is not so much the over hyping of an SV gun, SV's are fantastic, expensive but fantastic, but the constant disrespect that shown to other gun makers that have put allot of guns in the hands of national and world champions...

Sorry to break it to you, but if you really think Max Michael shoots the Kia of open guns, and that Nills shoots the Kia of limited guns, then you are more caught up in the status symbol that affording that gun represents than the engineering behind it.

Anyone know a big name smith that would pick an STI frame and slide over SV frame and slide as a starting point for a custom gun if they had a choice? I highly doubt it.

You'd be surprised how little the top smith care..

That's why they build on top either...

Not sure what top smith's you been talking too.

Or how many guns you've had built. Most smith hold both frames in high regard but would probably lean towards an Sti frame if your asking for other small parts, wilson, egw, etc...

Edited by carlosa

I agree with Tommy. Sandy is by far one of the smartest guys in the gun business. And I don't know anyone that comes close in the 1911 style guns. If you work with this stuff long enough, deal with similar parts from different manufacturers, understand how the parts are made, and what they're made from, you can really see the difference. Anyway, while I'm at it, here's my brand new 5.4 limited gun. Just arrived today.

Looks GREAT!!

Nope, they make quality parts. They do not however make 100% of the parts that make up a complete pistol. Caspian makes almost every part but they are cast, forged or some from bar stock. Not all...

Lee

I guess I'm missing why a gun built with great parts from only 1 manufacturer is superior to a gun built with great parts from different manufacturers?

Because they maintain control over the specs and QC of the parts. They don't vary from lot to lot, which gives them the ability to consistently build perfectly fit pistols.

Well, I've wanted one for a while.....and soon I can start down that fun time of breaking in the gun, mags and developing a load.

New beginings are always fun. :cheers:

post-24914-0-20053900-1391262189_thumb.j

This one isn't mine........but its almost identical.....too each his own :goof:

Edited by Carmine

BUT, you cannot get an all billet, interchangeable breechface slide, multi-texture, multi-trigger guard profile grip pistol ALL supported by a single company with a reputation for excellent customer service. Sure, some of our parts break, some customers don't get everything they want (you have no idea how many folks with 5 plus year old broke parts expect a free replacement) but Sandy and Brandon are top notch folks who are in the business to build the absolute best product available. Due to materials (frames are available from billet aluminum, titanium, stainless and carbon steel), heat treat process, attention to detail, coatings, and the desire for perfection they cost more.

....or don't take care of their nice SVI gun once they get it. Brandon told me a cringeworthy horror story this week when I spoke with him. Turns out it's important to swap out the springs now and again. Who knew?

I'm all about data driven decisions given my professional and academic background and the cost-benefit analysis is one of the reasons why I choose SVI over some other alternatives that I'm sure would have produced some very fine pistols. There are lots of options available in the 1911 world and there are many "right" decisions depending on what you want so I'm not advocating that SVI is the One True Path and all others are wrong. It's a very personal decision.

I ultimately went SVI because:

1. Roy Neal is a terrible influence. Okay, more seriously, Team SVI has a strong presence on the Enos forum and they are very good brand ambassadors. Roy gave me some advice on a completely non-SVI issue early in my shooting career so I picked on him for my SVI questions and he was very helpful. I also paid close attention to what the rest of the team said in the forms (Lee, SV-COP, etc). The Team SVI guys are everywhere. I spoke to a couple of them at the Florida State Championship in Frostproof and they were both very helpful.

2. The Strayer name. The Infinity name is nice, but I'm not big on status symbols. However, being able to know that Clan Strayer built my 1911 gives me confidence in the end product. In fact, my first idea was to build a Single Stack 1911 that didn't have any markings at all and looked like an old school government one, but for the fiber optic sights. I probably would have done it, but I decided I wanted the AET barrel. The gold coloring would have made it a bit obvious it wasn't just something I nabbed out of the gun safe.

3. The Strayer philosophy. I like the idea that the gunsmith who is building my gun has near-complete control over the processes including his parts supply chain. The parts that are going into that gun are designed by the same people who are building the gun so that gives them near-complete control of the process end-to-end. Awesome.

4. Customer Service. If I'm forking over a lot of money for a pistol, I don't want to be treated like I'm doing someone a favor. SVI customer service is fantastic.

5. Price. Seriously. Look, a custom 1911 (I'm all about Single Stack) is going to cost you, but the price differential wasn't all that much in the end for what I wanted compared to my other top options that I'm sure would have build a very nice pistol for me. It was worth the increased price to me to get the Strayer name and their production process behind the gun.

6. No, seriously, Roy Neal really is a terrible influence. Did I mention that?

Edited by ericjhuber

Nope, they make quality parts. They do not however make 100% of the parts that make up a complete pistol. Caspian makes almost every part but they are cast, forged or some from bar stock. Not all...

Lee

I guess I'm missing why a gun built with great parts from only 1 manufacturer is superior to a gun built with great parts from different manufacturers?

Because they maintain control over the specs and QC of the parts. They don't vary from lot to lot, which gives them the ability to consistently build perfectly fit pistols.

There are other companies have excellent QC and don't vary lot to lot

Do SV shooters have to sign an agreement preventing them from saying any other company can make a quality product?

You are just a person who likes to argue. I did not say that a Bedell, Cheely, etc are Kia's in comparison. This tread is about SVI Pistol prices, if you don't like the price or don't see the value, don't buy one.

I bet however, if the price was the same as whatever else you either have or want you would select one. But as all you want to do is sit behind a keyboard and argue, that is cool too. I will be at the range shooting. See ya!

Lee

Geez guys, they are just guns... :wacko:

1. You have to know that an SV sponsored shooter or even a regular SV owner is going to push the product. They have to for different reasons. The sponsored guys must talk up the product and the regular guys who spent all that extra money to buy a name will look like morons if they don't. THAT IS ALL FINE!

2. If my Cheely is a KIA then I am buying a KIA next time I need a car!

3. If every other gun except SV is being compared to KIA's then it looks like KC is doing pretty damn good with a YUGO!

Lastly, they are just guns..... Let's not fight about them, let's just shoot them and have a good time.

You are just a person who likes to argue. I did not say that a Bedell, Cheely, etc are Kia's in comparison. This tread is about SVI Pistol prices, if you don't like the price or don't see the value, don't buy one.

I bet however, if the price was the same as whatever else you either have or want you would select one. But as all you want to do is sit behind a keyboard and argue, that is cool too. I will be at the range shooting. See ya!

Lee

Cool man, don't get beat by a Kia :)

Chris Tilley just got in a brand spanking new 40 S&W SVI Infinity sight tracker with one mag for sale right now for $4495... No wait.

Not even up on his website yet. www.goshoot.com.

Saw it in the case there yesterday when I was dropping off ammo.

Just saying.

Edited by bajadudes

I agree with Tommy. Sandy is by far one of the smartest guys in the gun business. And I don't know anyone that comes close in the 1911 style guns. If you work with this stuff long enough, deal with similar parts from different manufacturers, understand how the parts are made, and what they're made from, you can really see the difference. Anyway, while I'm at it, here's my brand new 5.4 limited gun. Just arrived today.

After a 14 month wait you should have plenty of ammo. Have fun.

Wow !!! Great spirit of adventure !!! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Example of "Lowly Corvette" Sort of like a SVI vs a stock Colt.

http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/8068187

I once thought of owning a vette. that was a long time ago before the word practical meant much to me.

I did own a corvette and yes it was when the skull was still full of mush.

This whole argument reminds me of debates I'd see on camera forums about why Leica cameras are or aren't worth their hefty premium over competing brands.

When I was shopping for my limited gun a couple years ago, I ended up going with Matt Cheely over SVI, in part because I didn't personally see the value in spending the extra $1,000-$1,500 on the SVI gun.

And I'd challenge anyone to prove that the extra money buys a better competition gun.

It buys other things (all custom parts, etc., unique look, peace of mind, etc). But beyond a certain point, the extra dollars spent on a gun have very little to do with making it better for our games.

Still, I'm not suggesting SVI's aren't worth their price. They are awesome guns from what I've seen. And if the people who buy them are happy with their purchases, that's all we really need to know.

I'll say this about Team SV guys, all the ones I know were customers who paid full price before they became team members. Yes they drink the cool-aid, but it's the right flavor.

I went through 4 open guns before I bought my first SV, I didn't want to spend the money, I'm kinda frugal, they were all built by competent Smiths. When I tried an SV, I was hooked, I could tell the difference, and I knew that these were a step above. Haven't regreted that decision.

Liked Infinity so much, I machined 1/2 of it off!

That's the big problem I have with SVI.

My Cheely commander 2011 is 34~ oz unloaded.

The SVI officer 2011 I just put a deposit on is... 41 oz unloaded.

They must make their guns out of anvils and churches. I couldn't get a bigger gun from SVI because it'd be too heavy (all steel).