Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Pistol Prices

AICS308

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I will interject here. I have owned 8 or 9 SV's and still do own 3. They have all been nothing shy of sewing machine reliable. Everyone I have sold I have made money on and have regretted selling. I still have 3 older Sti's and while they are also good guns they arent SV. I have had several custom guns by big name gunsmith's and shops that we have all heard of and used. George when he ran EGW did excellent work.

That beign said, There are no gunsmiths out there that I would use if I could get a SV in the time frame I needed.

I have read some of the issues others have had with certain parts and I guess I am lucky as I have an IMM gun that has well over 100k thru it and it still has the orignal fire control parts in it. The only thing I have done is clean it and change springs when necessary. My limited gun has never failed me..it is now going on 15 yrs old(it was my first and I just cant sell it).

Are they expensive, yes, are they worth it, yes., SV continues to develope the platform and come up with small enhancements to the gun that others dont even think of.

I have held a 9mm minor svi in inficoat with 30 thou plus rounds and a stainless 6 inch 9 mm minor svi with 100 thou thru the pipe. Literally both felt like they could have just been built they were so tight

I also brought a S#= gun to Brandon at svi who tuned and modified 4 svi mags and the "other" frame to take there mags one day before a match for only the cost of the mags. I shot that gun for 10 thou and it was looser than any svi I ever shot.

Because of that I bought to svi 9mm pistols for three gun. My first had 10 thou is 3 months thru it and feels like brand new!! I will never own a double stack 2011 "style" pistol again that doesn't say svi on the side. And I get nothing from them sponsorship wise!!

Bets

if not for the 14 month wait I would have several SVI's by now.....instead I have none and never will with that kind of wait.

14 months is INFINITY to me.....get it?? :roflol:

most businesses expand when demand consistently exceeds their capacity to supply.

not sure why SVI does not do this.

BB

Well, they are/have done it. They are in a new shop with MUCH more space. The wait times went up while they got everything setup. They are running full speed now and the wait time is coming down. They are now bringing additional services in-house to speed things up even more. Believe me, no one works harder than Brandon and Sandy, typical work week is 7 days from 7:30AM to 7:00PM. Also, just like they say....good things come to those who wait. Order the first one and wait a while, then order one every 6 months and all is good!

Lee

I suspect that successful gunsmith shops like Infinity have the same problem that other very customized businesses that center on the talents of one or two master craftsmen. How do you expand and maintain quality? Can you even expand? Can you get someone who can do that work at the level you and your clients expect at a price that makes good business sense?

Their market segmentation strategy seems to be pretty clear which is to cater to people who don't mind waiting for someone from Clan Strayer to build them a pistol. Their prices are competitive with this high-end 1911 market which is why you end up with demand driving the long wait. They could shorten the wait by increasing prices or by increasing quantity through additional labor. The problem is maintaining the quality with the increased labor and quality is critical to their business model.

I have no earthly idea how long it takes to get as good at this as the Strayers or if it's even possible. I suspect it's a long learning curve that requires lots of attention from whoever is doing the training. If you have someone like Brandon having to take time to train someone up to his level rather than producing revenue earning pistols, thats a drag on earnings.

Its obvious svi are the better guns, that's why all the top shooters shoot them. Oh..... wait, they don't? Damn that's impressive then, the fact that they're shooting/finishing so well despite being held back so much by their sti frame and slides, filled with egw, ed brown and wilson combat parts. Holy cow, could you imagine how good max, sevigny, blake, manny etc could be if they shot a svi.

Its obvious svi are the better guns, that's why all the top shooters shoot them. Oh..... wait, they don't? Damn that's impressive then, the fact that they're shooting/finishing so well despite being held back so much by their sti frame and slides, filled with egw, ed brown and wilson combat parts. Holy cow, could you imagine how good max, sevigny, blake, manny etc could be if they shot a svi.

Funny!

So back on topic, i wish i kept my SVI limited 40. I needed money that time. I'd buy one again if given the chance. Or maybe two.

I don't understand the problem with waiting. People who owned them dont mind waiting, but some of those who never owned one do. There are tons of other reputable gunsmiths who has quicker turn around time, and each one of them has a 'signature' character/work.

Pick the one you like. Enjoy it.

the OP's question was "svi prices,worth it?". stay on topic bud,or post elsewhere. the question had nothing to do with max, sevigny, blake, manny,only svi pistols value.

the OP's question was "svi prices,worth it?". stay on topic bud,or post elsewhere. the question had nothing to do with max, sevigny, blake, manny,only svi pistols value.

You weren't very good at connect the dots as a child, were you?

This is why we can't civil conversations. ASS

I handled an SV for the 1st time a few days ago. This compact was an heirloom piece and I would have given most of my wife's vital organs to own one. The lockup was so silky smooth and tight. While I have no intentions of ever spending as much as this gentleman did, I do hope to one day order one of my own.

sorry if that hurt your feelings :surprise: ....its just best to stay on topic.

Mine just got delivered last week. Took close to 17 months. 5.4 in 9mm with a few extras and 4 mags. 5k was the final cost

If you get a chance post review after a few hundred rounds. Pic would be great.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I know that the porcupine texture can be a tad aggesive....but you can always " knock them down a bit" to taste.

As for the price...the gun and 6 ( 10 round IPSC box rule) mags came to just under $6400 CDN

I just recieved the final paperwork....so now I can start the break in period......Brandon recomends aprox 1000 rds ( major PF ammo)

Edited by Carmine

It's not as aggesive as you might think. <_<

The biggest issue people have with the SVI Grip types is, apart from the co$t, that what does it feel like and is it the right size for your hand. :wub:

The very first mod I've done to my brand new gun is ....you guessed it...shave down the pedal on the RS Ambi safety...it was biting me and not allowing for a clean swipe of the safeties. :blink:

SO....is it perfect......maybe 99.9%....but the human factor is always an issue. :eatdrink:

What would I have added ......maybe the DLC Coating... do all the accents in TIN....Go with a Sight Tracker layout and a 30 lpi serrations on the top of the slide......all of that would have easily pushed the gun into the 7G range.....and no mag. :surprise:

Well, maybe on my next one....can someone say retirement gift :devil:

It's not as aggesive as you might think. <_<

The biggest issue people have with the SVI Grip types is, apart from the co$t, that what does it feel like and is it the right size for your hand. :wub:

The very first mod I've done to my brand new gun is ....you guessed it...shave down the pedal on the RS Ambi safety...it was biting me and not allowing for a clean swipe of the safeties. :blink:

SO....is it perfect......maybe 99.9%....but the human factor is always an issue. :eatdrink:

What would I have added ......maybe the DLC Coating... do all the accents in TIN....Go with a Sight Tracker layout and a 30 lpi serrations on the top of the slide......all of that would have easily pushed the gun into the 7G range.....and no mag. :surprise:

Well, maybe on my next one....can someone say retirement gift :devil:

Man do you pay extra because you're in Canada? Tax, etc?

My only issue with those grips is weight...

Draws and transition are allot easier with a lighter gun...

Enjoy your new toy :)