Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your first IDPA match gun

JerryShoots

What was the first gun you shot in IDPA and in what division did you use it?

First guns used to try other divisions as well please. If you like finish up with what you run now.

Just curious where others started out. I know I started with some odd stuff considering what I shoot now lol.

My first match in 2004 I shot SSP and I used a Ruger P85 in 9mm. Instantly was hooked and bought a G34 the next day.

Later that year I tried CDP with a borrowed Sig P220

I shot ESP for the first time with a Glock 34

Still haven't tried ESR

Shot my first SSR match last year with a borrowed GP100 on a bet. That was fun!

These days:

SSP - SA XDm 5.25 9mm

ESP - SA Loaded Target 1911 9mm

CDP - SA 1911

ESR - Nothing yet

SSR - Ruger GP100 4" (have not taken my own to a match as yet)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started shooting idpa about two years ago. I started and still use my walther p99 9mm in ssp (it is also my carry gun). I am trying to decide if I want to make that my comp gun or buy something new as my dedicated comp gun. So that's how my Journey is going :)

CDP 1997 Caspian 1911oid.

Still have it, still shoot it, but with light loads in ESP, alternating with 2011 .45 and 9mms below.

SSP 1998 CZ75

Still have it, but favor Plastic M&P. Sig Sauer and Glock not as good.

SSR 1999 Python

Still have it, but prefer 686.

ESP 2000 Colt 1991A1 9mm

Still have it, alternating with Springfield based Mixmaster A.

Don't shoot ESR but have a sawn off M25-2 that I used some in SSR before they subdivided the revolvers.

First gun used was an already owned PT92 in SSP & ESP

First gun bought for IDPA was a PT1911 in CDP

Then ran a Glock 35 which was replaced by a M&P pro in SSP

Now running a custom build 9mm 1911 in ESP

Every once in a while I'll run revolver just for kicks (Taurus 669 in SSR and S&W 625 in ESR)

First firearm was (and is) the Glock 19. I take care of it, it takes care of me....

Used to shoot Magtech 115 gr then switched to CCI Blazer 115 gr (which functioned flawlessly) as it was much less expensive. Then Obama came around. Now I shoot Atlanta Arms 147 gr because I got in before they got swamped.

My first match was this past summer with my Glock G22 in SSP. Since then I have tried my luck with a Beretta 92FS in SSP and CZ-75B in ESP (wanted to shoot cocked and locked). Its interesting that while I have gotten better I think the gun has something to do with how I have done. I did a classifier in Aug with the G22 and another in Nov with the CZ and took about 40 seconds off my time. If the weather ever allows I plan to try the next one with my STI Trojan 9mm.

First gun was a Springfield loaded 1911 in 9mm that I got for a great price. Used it in ESP for the first year. Winter came and that steel grip was cold so I bought a Glock 35 because I had heard it could be used in multiple USPSA divisions and figured I'd eventually try that too.

The g35 shooting minor in SSP was pretty awesome but I eventually bought a Glock 34 so I could shoot cheaper bullets. The g34 is my current SSP gun.

Not sure what I'm going to do for this upcoming season. I've been shooting an open gun in USPSA for the last few months and having a great time. I may have to break out the 1911 so I don't have to worry about switching between two different trigger types.

It was SSP - G-22 for my first match. I shot Glocks for a few years (G-34/35s) and decided M&Ps were more accurate and fit ME better.

These days, it's:

SSP/ESP M&P Pro 9mm 5"

CDP M&P45

ESR 625PC

SSR 686SSR

BUG M&P9 Compact

• 3 weeks later...

Expires On: Jul 31, 2014

IDPAID: A15199

CDP Les Baer PII 2001

2014:Les Baer custom same one, just rebuilt after 100k..

here are some pics of the 2002 nationals held in Mississippi. Didn't shoot it, just watched.

post-4535-0-16234600-1390336519_thumb.jp

post-4535-0-93349700-1390338031_thumb.jp

post-4535-0-46026800-1390338048_thumb.jp

post-4535-0-57395800-1390338188_thumb.jp

post-4535-0-79244300-1390338206_thumb.jp

Edited by GmanCdp

First gun was the SW1911 Performance Center .45. Was told its not legal under any division, because of the ported slide (even though it was from the factory that way).

Got an M&P 9 FS for IDPA since then, but also shooting a modified 5" M&P 40 Limited gun in USPSA. This is confusing me now cause they feel the same and I cannot seem to stand still on reloads.

My next IDPA will be with my Shield 9. Might as well use what I really carry. I'll have to stand still to reload since that thing is so small.