Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Won't 9 mm Shoot in a .38 Barrel?

bountyhunter

I would really like a model 66 that could shoot cheap 9mm ammo. If all it took was a new cylinder, it seems that it would be a great product.

I know that the identical barrel shoots both .357 and .38, not sure why it could not accommodate 9mm which is .3543 in English measure. Seems pretty close to .357.

Anybody shoot 9mm out of a model 66 or similar?

I would really like a model 66 that could shoot cheap 9mm ammo. If all it took was a new cylinder, it seems that it would be a great product.

I know that the identical barrel shoots both .357 and .38, not sure why it could not accommodate 9mm which is .3543 in English measure. Seems pretty close to .357.

Anybody shoot 9mm out of a model 66 or similar?

357 and 38 are the same size bullets (normally either .357 for jacketed or .358 for lead) only the case length is different. a cylinder cut to fit 9mm originally (not a modified 38/357) cut for moon clips, would be great and you can load .357 or .358 bullets into 9mm cases.

I was actually wondering if you could get a new cylinder cut for moonclips and shoot actual 9mm luger ammo through a .38. If all it took was a cylinder change, that would be a cool conversion. I don't load so putting .38 bullets into a 9mm case isn't an option.

Was wondering if anybody had actually cut a 9mm cylinder and dropped it into a model 66 and shot 9mm ammo?

Edited by bountyhunter

I was actually wondering if you could get a new cylinder cut for moonclips and shoot actual 9mm luger ammo through a .38. If all it took was a cylinder change, that would be a cool conversion. I don't load so putting .38 bullets into a 9mm case isn't an option.

Was wondering if anybody had actually cut a 9mm cylinder and dropped it into a model 66 and shot 9mm ammo?

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

You could have the conversion done but for accuracy you need to shoot .357 bullets in the 9mm cases. The cylinder chambers and the barrel are .357 so it's not that you can't shoot .355 or .356 bullets but they won't obturate well.

The short answer is that I might work. You would likely need the cylinder cut for moon clips and no certainty true 9mm bullets would work well (accuracy) out of the .357 barrel. Smith did make a few 9mm guns - the 940 etc, but they used unique extractors.

Lee

My 940 shoots with moon clips..

Are you asking the question from the perspective of a prepper? Do you want to be able to shoot multiple calibers from the same gun? I love the idea of spending the same amount of time/money/energy on another gun, rather than a single gun with many abilities.

Or are you thinking of some purpose in competition? Many revo competition shooters choose the 45acp because of major power factor rules and the convenience of quick reloads with moon clips. But I'm not thinking of any benefits of 9mm in revolver competition.

Or perhaps you are just curious?

Edited by CHLChris

not sure why it could not accommodate 9mm which is .3543 in English measure. Seems pretty close to .357.

Because "pretty close" isn't good enough if you want reasonable accuracy. Both the barrel and the cylinder throats are simply too big for 9 mm bullets. Edited by Tom E

I've ran Supers in my 686, again with .358 cast bullets. Never tried Super with .355 or .356 bullets. I have 2000 new Super cases I plan to load for the 686 not so much that they're better but it makes it easier to identify the ammo for the 686. I use moons for the Supers too, but think they'd run and extract without moons.

Edited by ede

The only advantages I can see are that 9mm brass is still plentiful and often cheap, and the moon clips can be thicker and therefore harder to bend.

If you're already set up with something else, not much reason to change over.

Edited by Toolguy

The base of the 9mm case is larger than that of the 38/357 cases, but the 357 mag chamber is much longer than a 9mm case. The fired bullet would rattle around in the chamber a bit before entering the cylinder throat, which is also larger than 9mm, and the bullet would likely enter the forcing cone crooked. Then it would enter the barrel, also oversized for the bullet diameter, and fly out the muzzle in the general direction of the target. Accuracy could be abysmal.

38 Super... After the last round of emasculation for the 357 magnum by SAAMI, the 38 Super now has higher chamber pressure than the 357, and it's not rsafe to fire 38 Supers in any 357 revolver.

I have shot 9mm bullets from a .357 gun. I ran low on 158/358 lead heads, but had a bunch of Rainer 9mm 147 grain plated bullets, and neded practice loads. I loaded the 9mm into .38 Spl cases with the same powder charge I used for .38, and taper crimped them.

With .38 I get 2.5-inch 25 yard groups from that 6-inch Ruger. With the 9mm bullets/38 cases I was getting a bit under four inches. That's close enough for practice.

My guess is the soft lead core and thin plating did allow the bullet to obiturate enough to grab some rifling. Different bullets may produce different results, but I can live with sub-four inch groups for practice if I run short on the .38s I want to use for matches.

FWIW, Xtreme Bullets offers a 147 grain 9mm plated RN sized to 357. I understand some shooters use that in their .38s because they load fast, and they find the accuracy acceptable. They could certainly be loaded in 9mm cases. I haven't tried them yet, but given the excellent performance of the Xtreme 147 9mm .356 loads in my 9mms, I might give them a shot in my .38s.

Or perhaps you are just curious?

Just want to know how I could get my favorite revo (model 66) to shoot cheap 9mm ammo.

Hard to get much cheaper than 38 SC or cut down (.900 or so) 38 special brass. .355 bullets in a .357 barrel does not offer good accuracy. (as mentioned) I too have tried it. For the cost of a new cylinder, you could be up and reloading... That's where the real experimentation will yeild results anyway. IMHO.

FWIW, I have a S&W Model 14 I bought from a forum member that came with a 9mm cylinder cut for moon clips. I had the .38 cylinder cut for moons and it works great with those, except for bending a few if not careful and only using Remington brass. As for the 9mm, I tried using lead 125 gr. and accuracy was ok. Generally good enough for USPSA. Using jacketed bullets, accuracy went out the window past 7 yds. Bullets would keyhole and tumble all over. I tried using .357 jacketed and the results everything you could hope for. I could hit skeet clays at 50 yards. Bear in mind that this has a 8 3/8" barrel. This was a whim on my part and I only shoot this pistol now for steel or a few ICORE matches. I load the .357s in 9mm cases using the same data as a 125 for 9mm. The finished cartridge looks like a coke bottle but it chambers ok and shoots good. One disclaimer, and this may be unique to my firearm. It will only work well with Winchester cases for extraction. Other cases will stick in the cylinder so tight that I have punched a hole in my hand trying to eject them. Even with Winchester cases, they get very stiff to eject toward the end of a 100-150 round match, and this is with running a brush through the chambers after every stage. YMMV.

Had an extra cylinder for my 686-7 cut for the proper angle for 9mm or 9x23. At has a .357 barrel. Used my existing 38 super moon clips with 9mm brass. Results were never consistent. My plated reloads of various diameters worked ok out of a stationary revolver, but when I shot the same reloads at the IDPA classifier I had a number of key holes. Best experience was with fmj factory ammo, but that was nothing to should about. Finally just gave up finding a decent load.

Jim