Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

Great company on Am squad #11. I hope to have another opportunity to shoot again with any one of you in the near future.

IMG_3480c.jpg

Edited by kc9

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides Jesse coming in #3 in Pro TO and picking up a sweet rifle can anyone give us a summary of how it all ended on Sunday?

Edited by kc9

As someone who has been shooting and competing in major matches for 25yrs, and have seen some great ones come and go like Second Chance and the World Speed Shoot-Off, it's easy to see when the quality of the match does not improve, that its days are numbered. Is shooting at Rockcastle worth $150? Sure. $250, no way. I will be back shooting AM only because they are losing money on me being there. It was also real interesting that the AM match winners did not get to walk the prize table first like in years past. It seemed like the brothers did not like the guy who win AM open so they changed the order. I will be at FNH and Blue Ridge if anyone wants to chat. Blaster.

As someone who has been shooting and competing in major matches for 25yrs, and have seen some great ones come and go like Second Chance and the World Speed Shoot-Off, it's easy to see when the quality of the match does not improve, that its days are numbered. Is shooting at Rockcastle worth $150? Sure. $250, no way. I will be back shooting AM only because they are losing money on me being there. It was also real interesting that the AM match winners did not get to walk the prize table first like in years past. It seemed like the brothers did not like the guy who win AM open so they changed the order. I will be at FNH and Blue Ridge if anyone wants to chat. Blaster.

"It seemed like the brothers did not like the guy who win AM open so they changed the order." You are welcome to post any conspiracy theories you like, but the decision to change Am prize table to a 100 percent random draw was made before the shooting was done in the Am match & LONG before I handed Nick Noble the paper which told him who won and placed at the match. I will also be at FNH and feel free to come talk to me anytime.

Wow, really sour grapes.

Is it worth $250? it sure is and I will not be shooting AM again. When squads of 13 to 15 have 3 to 4 people doing all the reset and the rest are just hanging out I call B.S.

When half way through the day we are 2 hours behind and my 14 person squad continues to run down the one in front of us it's still B.S. I will gladly pay $100 more and shoot on or ahead of time with the Pros. It's worth it to me to be able to keep my focus through a consistent match.

p.s. the prize table was changed I feel to be more equitable to all AM shooters. Besides, the AM winner should be match bumped to Pro anyhow.

edit: Now that a day has gone by I want to add that I think the AM match is a GREAT value. For me I need the consistency from stage to stage of the Pro match and it would be worth the money, ammo and days invested to get it.

Edited by ToysRUs

Any one who shot the stage i Ro'd on was shouted at to reset ! ( AM one )

Joe & John provided great back up to the RO's & i would like to thank TRU SPEC for clothing us.

Over here in Europe a lot of the big matches you do not have to reset /patch - BUT it bumps the entry cost up.

Great week but very very hot .

Edited by gunfighteruk

Great company on Am squad #11. I hope to have another opportunity to shoot again with any one of you in the near future.

IMG_3480c.jpg

No complaints about our squad on the re-setting side. Everybody mucked in and did their part, a great bunch of guys.

As a RO on Pro 8 and attendee for all 4 Pro Am matches...I think this match ran as good as any of them...at least from my vantage point from Cowboy Town.

I'd like to give a big THANKS to Tru-Spec for the great pack of clothes given to the RO's...and a big THANKS to Bethanny Harris for making it happen. Also would like to thank the other RO's who made this match happen. Then there is Gary Welborn who has spent more time and effort than anyone, Joe and John Harris for being great RM's, Ken Nelson and Linda Chico for the awesomeness in stats, Nate, Nick, and Jim Nobel and Rockcastle crew for allowing me to stay in their house.

And finally a real big THANKS to the SPONSORS who donated large amounts of prizes so everyone came away as a winner. Thanks Brownell's and the rest of the sponsors...you guys (and gals) ROCK at the ROCK.

I had a blast, even with the gallons of sweat. No complaints at all on the pro side. I have no problem paying the extra money for pro, it's well worth it. As far as the extra ammo and extra day, I thought that's what you're paying for. I don't see why that would be a down side like some people seem to think, that's what I bought the ammo for after all.

But yeah awesome match, great vendors, great side events, great sponsors and even better ROs. I'll definitely be back next year. Thanks a lot for putting this on.

Edited by DDustin

I'm going to chime in on my thoughts and what not. I missed the first one, shot the second, missed the third and worked/shot this past one.

I finished where I thought I would this year. I shot AM because prize table doesn't mean a lot to me really. I helped or a bit with the table on sat night until my name was called and I picked up a Cerakote branded Oakley bag and went to bed. I noticed a lot of the AM shooters would pick something up and then continue to walk the table for something else. I noticed a couple opening boxes as well. I don't think that is appropriate, if you pick something up, go with it.

Tru spec donated 2 pair of shorts, an embroidered Polo Shirt and 2 embroidered t shirts for us as range officers to wear while working to look uniform. I think we as staff looked great and the clothing although dark in color were not hot in temperature.

I spoke with a couple various shooters that have attended the various years and listened to what they had to say. I asked them about the shooters bags and made the comment of "is it the normal stuff as in years past", and was told no and they were disappointed. That lead us to talking more about the bags and what we received in the past. In years past the bags were reusable range bags from the NRA with other stuff to include mugs, knives, flashlights and other NRA branded items. Multiple magazines from brownells.com and magpul. This year it was just a plastic shopping bag with pamphlets, a single magazine and some other small things. Not like there had been in years passed.

I just think that the excitement for this match is up there but sometimes it falls short. I know how much effort that Gary puts into the match designing stages and making sure it will all flow properly. It just seems that it's missing something lately that was there 2 years ago.

I think that's all I have to say for now but if I think of anything else I'll say it.

Thanks again to my new friends on Am squad #11. Everyone shot Tactical Optics. I think we all shot a great match and ended up ranked where we deserved although some of us crashed and burned on at least one stage. We all had a great time.

Rank Name

22 Scott K

42 Damon Allen C

49 Tom Y

54 Ryan D

79 Hardy U

80 Justin S

82 Kenneth D

92 Brad D

103 Robert B

105 John W

113 Frank A

126 Jim C

144 Iain C

173 Todd B

219 Steve E

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=7B063B2D-D102-414C-B98E-240C979FC086&page=matchTactical_Optics

Edited by kc9

In years past the bags were reusable range bags from the NRA with other stuff to include mugs, knives, flashlights and other NRA branded items. Multiple magazines from brownells.com and magpul. This year it was just a plastic shopping bag with pamphlets, a single magazine and some other small things.

It is purely speculation on my part but I am guessing that since AR15.com is no longer a sponsor, Ed Avila's (from arfcom) buddy Joe DeBergalis is no longer involved and Joe is an NRA Board member. No NRA board member involved, no NRA stuff for the shooters bags.

To be honest, other than the bag I don't think I ever used any of the NRA stuff.

Have to say, the heat sucked the life out of me and I had the most horrible match I've shot in a long time. That being said, Squad 11 was awesome! I still had a blast. Met some great new friends and got to hang out with some old ones. Already planning a new training program to get better for next year! I will be back!

Why was the decision made for a 100% random draw after the shooting started and not told to the competitors beforehand?

I was not aware that the AM prize was ever planned as being in order of finish this year. I’ve been to all 4 Pro Am matches and AFAIK the AM table has always been random draw.