Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

All in all, it was an awesome match. Except that I missed the beer wagon again.

I hear that. I didn't think there was a beer wagon until I walked around back of the vendor tents. Then I thought it was a private party. This event could use better communication. It's not very hard to post here or on a match Facebook page once or ten times a day.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree a list of the names in order that they are getting called for the prize table would Definately be nice ahead of time then you can decide if your gonna stick around to get something or if your too far down and decide to just leave because you know what's gonna be left won't be worth sticking around for. That or at least speed it up and not give people forever to shop and pick fast and go because others are gonna be coming up to shop too.

I wonder how difficult it would be to do the "random" draw list earlier in the day. Like another poster mentioned they could print a list of the top 30 or 50 and have it hanging around the tents. It seems like that would go a long way in reducing the drama at the prize table.

The only downside is does someone get to walk the prize table if they are DQ'd? If that's the case then the staff would have to print the list after the last squad finishes the last stage.

I wonder how difficult it would be to do the "random" draw list earlier in the day. Like another poster mentioned they could print a list of the top 30 or 50 and have it hanging around the tents. It seems like that would go a long way in reducing the drama at the prize table.

The only downside is does someone get to walk the prize table if they are DQ'd? If that's the case then the staff would have to print the list after the last squad finishes the last stage.

I've been to a few major pistol matches that do just that. When u see your name at the bottom you can decide if to want your oil or want to hit the road 2 hours early.

I've been to a few major pistol matches that do just that. When u see your name at the bottom you can decide if to want your oil or want to hit the road 2 hours early.

I honestly think it would be easier on all of the staff involved if this policy were to be implemented.

You gotta be kidding! I could barely see those worn out gong things they called steel at 250. Holy target presentation batman!

har har har! i was able to hit most all of the long range targets! this was my 1st big match with optics....as a result i "passed " the middle swinger on stage 7 and shot the far one......and of course the RO was looking at the middle one cause i was going "bottom to top" never got the call and then could not hit it again! doh!

i even hit the 10 targets on stage 4 with 11 rounds! the RO called "hit" on a few and i was thinking "are you sure?".....and i could see them moving.....i was just shocked is all..... :surprise:

anyway.......lemme tell you.....seeing/shooting at/hitting 300 yard steel with an optic (even the "those worn out gong things they called steel at 250" ) IS WAY EASIER than with irons.....almost like cheating :surprise:

Edited by eddiegunks

Well I think I'm recovered from the match now.....

Big thanks to all the sponsors and match staff. Good to see lots o vendors.

It was interesting to have bigger stage designs this year. Pretty good stage designs in fact!

My first prob would have to be pro stage 7. Shooting first at just after 8:00am and not being able to see the longer range targets was just a little unfair IMO.

If they had been painted a lighter color there wouldn't have been an issue. I think match directors need to start taking time of day and target presentation into account.

I was worried before the match that the longer stages would have caused backup issues but that didn't seem to be the case.

I think the 100 second timeout kept things going. Still, even though I never did, I would have liked to have seen a 2 minute(120 sec :cheers:) timeout instead of 100.

My second prob would be with the time of the awards on Sunday. I think the results were posted at 10ish?? so why wait until 1:00pm to start?

But all in all I hope to be able to shoot this match next year.

Nick

That is the best idea I've heard yet on the prize table. That way if you are in the 200's you don't have to wait until 12:05am to to get your stickers. Why don't we have the table before dinner like the 1st year to get people on the road. Those running the table appeared awfully anxious for us to get out of there.

The prize table has changed at least 2 times in the last 3 years that I have shot this match. The first year it was a random draw for both open and tac optics with the first place shooters in each division going to the prize tables first. The second year there were separate prize tables for open and tac optics. This year it was everyone grouped back together again with a total random draw for the prize tables. I love the idea about releasing the prize table order in advance. They sure did seem to act like it was becoming a bother towards the end of the prize table. All night everyone was going up to the table and slowly rifling through and checking out the prizes in the piles. I know it takes a long time for 247 people to make it through the prize table however, it would be easier to see the gift certificates if they were not covered by stickers or other small items.Literally 3 names before mine was called they announced that if you touched a prize it was yours. The announcement was right after they had called around 200 people and did not seem fair to those who had been standing around for hours waiting to pick their prizes.

Special thanks to all of the Linda, the RO's and everyone else that helped put the match on. God know they do not get the thanks they deserve for all of their hard work. Rockcastle needs to work on their communication skills for all shooters i.e. their website, facebook page or even posting information here for all of the shooters. I tried multiple times to get information for the pro/am and the rimfire match with no success. The website had last years stages up until a few days before the match. One would think that this being their 4th year putting on this match that it would run more smoothly. Seems that a lot of the sponsors that have been represented for the past few years are no longer sponsoring this match (LaRue Tactical, MGM Targets, Bushmaster, Mossberg and Surefire are just a few that come to mind). The NRA shooters bags we received the fast few years were missed by our group this year. Hopefully they can make this match bigger and better next year. It would be nice to see some improvements made to the facility especially some of the areas in cowboy town that have rotten wood or missing wood. Some of the steel targets could use some work too. Why didn't MGM show up this year with their great steel targets?

How come JP and other big dog vendors didn't have anything at this??

Was it cause of regionals the previous week??

Don't get me wrong pro am had kick ass vendors and sponsors but it seemed like something was missing....

On another note, some matches are really smooth, some are just well,Not smooth. The amount of time folks have to wait is unbelievable. With some matches getting really big, it might not be a bad idea to have a professional team come in. organize and run the event, deal with sponsors and vendors just to eliminate a lot of things that put the F U in fun events. Rockcastle could be run like a rock show that's on tour where it's produced to run efficient and smooth from providing maintained targets to organizing the prize table and sign ups... I know the folks work hard to put on an awesome match just sayin..,.

I was on the range longer in the half day formate at the regional the weekend before than I was at the proam.

How is that possible? I'm guessing you were looking at stages or something non shooting related? Or did the rain delays back things up?

At the ProAm I had to be to drive to cave city between each stage, eat, hang with the wife and then go back and get ready to shoot. Not very efficient IMHO.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

How come JP and other big dog vendors didn't have anything at this??

Not sure about the other big dogs but JP had just sponsored the hell out of the Rocky Mtn World 3Gun just two weeks before.

I was on the range longer in the half day formate at the regional the weekend before than I was at the proam.

How is that possible? I'm guessing you were looking at stages or something non shooting related? Or did the rain delays back things up?

At the ProAm I had to be to drive to cave city between each stage, eat, hang with the wife and then go back and get ready to shoot. Not very efficient IMHO.

All I know is on sat started at 11:30 and got done around 7. Sunday we started at 6:45 in the morning and got done around 1.

So in looking at it, may have not been longer but it was pretty close to the same hours on the day we shot 4 stages at proam.

I just stay on the range at proam and relax a bit before the next stage. The "half" day format seemed rushed and took the same, or close, amount if time. Granted that is the only "half" day format 3 gun I've shot

My only complaint is that on Stage 2 and Stage 7 I could not see the targets at all, I shot those after several squads, the paint was non-existent and combined with the sun/shade, I literally couldn't see where within the target stand the actual target was. The next morning, they were a nice bright orange for the first squad.

Easy fix: One RO gives stage briefing while other runs/drives/whatever to repaint. Lot of other matches I've shot have done that.

Had a blast though! Hopefully I can make it to next year's.

Sounds like the 3GN Regional match was running behind. The regional in Vegas was fast as is FNH as will GIIIG.

The 3GN Regional was one of the best run and organized matches I've been to......Mother Nature played a big part in any delays.

I have to agree with Jesse on the half day format....even a 3 day half day format. It would really help improve attendance with vendors IMO, and help make it even better than it already is.

In my experience, pistol matches, if you want steel painted you paint it. :-)

I even volunteered to go paint the steel myself and was told that I couldnt on one stage, but I was allowed to on another.

In my experience, pistol matches, if you want steel painted you paint it. :-)

I even volunteered to go paint the steel myself and was told that I couldnt on one stage, but I was allowed to on another.

Yeah I would have been a little upset by that. Sure not for every shooter but at least beginning of squad if somebody wants to go.

I braved the wooded trails in shorts and painted steel twice each day on Pro 8. I can't imagine telling a squad "no, you can't paint the steel". BTW, a big thanks to the fella that left us RO'S each a beer on Fri. That was the best beer ever after the last shooter. I consumed it on the way to painting the steel. :)