Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

Well said Linda. I have been to all 4 matches. Little quirks pop up at all matches and I am surprised there aren't a lot more at one the size of this. ROs were great and we had nothing to complain about regarding the heat. They were in it all the time and I never heard a complaint from any of them. I had fun in spite of my lame performance. The Rock is a great place to shoot and I look forward to my next trip back.

Craig

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed the Pro match. I liked the stages and the options allowing the shooter to make some choices. I worked Pro 8 in cowboy town and I really enjoyed watching the Pros do some ridiculous runs on stage 8.

I thought the prize table was pretty good. I finished 77th and still walked away with a CMC trigger, Oakley's and $100 Falcon Ind gc. I also heard reports of there still being AR lowers on the Pro prize table around 200th place.

BIG THANKS to the numerous sponsors, especially Brownells. Another BIG THANKS to Gary W, Joe H, John H, Ken Nelson, Linda, Nick, Nat, Jim. What a tremendous undertaking.

Would a Lewis scoring system work for the AM side in the next PRO/AM? Perhaps with high junior, lady, military, LEO, and (F.U. I don't even have legs!) categories. I'd like to see those folks have more than a random chance at a nice prize. Sure, it would take a bit longer to tabulate but it would make us all competitors in a match with prizes versus participants in an event with a raffle.

I had a great time and the RO's did an amazing job. They didn't have the luxury of ducking into air conditioned vehicles between stages! I also had the pleasure of traveling and shooting with the highest scoring participant of the AM TO event. He's been shooting 3-gun for little over a year and wore a plain sweat-drenched T-shirt at the match. He doesn't even know that you can buy polyester shirts with your favorite companies already printed on them (like mine.. :blush:). Congrats Shane, you deserve it!! Special thanks also to Linda Chico for superb organization.

This was my 3rd Pro Am, and I had a great time shooting with friends and catching up with other shooters I haven't seen in a while. I appreciate the work from Linda, Gary, RO's, and the entire Rock Castle staff. I didn't shoot my best match, but that's on me, so I know what I need to practice for next year. I will say that was one of the hottest and most humid conditions I have ever shot in, so hats off to the RO staff that had to bear those conditions all weekend. The cold cave was a great place to cool off between stages, as well as a place to sit on the wall in the evening for adult beverages and cigars. I want to thank all the sponsors and vendors that gave their time and products for the prize table. I only hope that someday the Rock Castle lodge can upgrade the air conditioner so I can get my room below 80 degrees. That was a little rough, but I fought through and made the best of it. See you guys at FNH next month!

1. There is no requirement that the winner of the AM match shoot PRO the next year. Never has been. Never will be. Nick Noble stated during his opening remarks at the AM prize table that anyone who wanted to walk the prize table in order of finish - to select a prize based on shooting ability - should sign up to shoot the PRO match.

2. No one made an announcement that the winners in AM would not get to pick a prize, because the match was ALWAYS advertised as a random draw prize table. I went back and checked. Every mention by match organizers for the last 4 years - on the match website, on Facebook, here on Enos & even in previous years on the ARFCOM forum - the AM match is described as a random draw prize table. If someone finds anything different, please send me the link.

3. I cannot believe anyone is commenting on the price increase for the AM match. Over the last 4 years, prices for everything we have to buy have increased quite a bit. The match fee went from $125 (started 4 years ago) to $150 this year. And everyone was aware of that increase in February. If that was such a big deal, don't send in the app & let me get someone off the waiting list. During the same time period, some other matches I work have increased by $50.

4. I did not 'clear' the AM waiting list. I wish. Two weeks before the match, I sent everyone on it a message to give me their "last possible date to get notification & still shoot the match." Over 80 shooters had to leave the list because it was too late to make travel plans at that point. Many of those had been waiting since February. Now, those were folks who were disappointed. Of the shooters who emailed me that they could be there with 48 hours notice, I am really pleased to say that I found a slot for every one.

5. I also feel really badly about the long waits for AM squads, but I feel even worse for the AM RO staff that we beat to death. It is the top of my list of things I will strongly recommend we improve or fix for next year.

6. This match is not just about the stages you shoot: It is the entire atmosphere of the match. It mirrors the atmosphere of our shooting community. It is about side matches, and Pro Clinics. It is about the shooters who gather in the evenings to share a meal, listen to the music, socialize and talk trash about the day's shooting. It is about the worthy veterans charities who gather donations. It is about all the vendors who set up to meet their customers and provide support to this shooting community. I have been to several really large 3 gun matches with 2 or 3 vendors set up. The feeling of community is why I will keep working this match as long as they want me.

Linda Chico

LInda, let me start by saying thank you for all your work. I've done stats/registration before for some smaller matches in the past and it is a thankless job. So "Thank YOU" Very much appreciated.

I certainly didn't take issue with the random AM table. Everyone knows what to expect. I think the issue was precedent. If the AM table is published as random, it should be random. All shooters want at the end of the day are for the rules to be applied uniformly and consistent. Maybe the error was in the last two years and not this one?

Being a participant for the last 4 years I can say that this has been one of my favorite events to attend. I'm sure this match will live on and continue to bring in people from all over the country and beyond.

Thanks again for a great time and even with a few perceived issues I had a blast, no pun intended.

A maroon bag chair with gray trim was left on AM 7. When we cleaned up the stage Sunday morning I put it in my vehicle so it wouldn't disappear. Says "Ozark Trail" on the back. If it is yours, I will try to get it back to you. Please PM me here.

A maroon bag chair with gray trim was left on AM 7. When we cleaned up the stage Sunday morning I put it in my vehicle so it wouldn't disappear. Says "Ozark Trail" on the back. If it is yours, I will try to get it back to you. Please PM me here.

Ozark Trail is a Walmart brand product I think.

Check with the Arkansas guys....LOL

On another note I would like to complain about something.

This Match is too Big!!!!

I just now realized how many friends I didn't get to sit down and talk to!!!!! :-(

To many people to get to see everyone.

In years past the bags were reusable range bags from the NRA with other stuff to include mugs, knives, flashlights and other NRA branded items. Multiple magazines from brownells.com and magpul. This year it was just a plastic shopping bag with pamphlets, a single magazine and some other small things.

It is purely speculation on my part but I am guessing that since AR15.com is no longer a sponsor, Ed Avila's (from arfcom) buddy Joe DeBergalis is no longer involved and Joe is an NRA Board member. No NRA board member involved, no NRA stuff for the shooters bags.

To be honest, other than the bag I don't think I ever used any of the NRA stuff.

Gotta agree with you on this one Jeff. My SWVA crew has shot all four matches, and we thoroughly enjoyed each. We miss the LaRue brisket the most...haha.

The NRA bags were nice, but that's about it. I spoke with Joe D multiple times (he seems like a great guy) and we all told him that we would prefer 1 made in USA item from the NRA instead of 6 or 7 China made "toys" to fill the bags with. For the record I'm a long time NRA member as well.

Overall, I think the Rockcastle Pro-Am is one of the best matches around at the going rate. The match fee we paid was more than made up for in shooting, food, beer, freebies, and prize table plunder.

I will have to say that as far as the actual match and stages go, this year was my favorite by far. Our AM squad was helpful and always on time. Heck, we even shot most stages a half to a full hour ahead of schedule. Hats off to all involved, and feel free to chalk 2014 up as a success.

See you all next year (if we can click fast enough for sign up)!

Godspeed,

Chase

I agree that the stages ran early for AM squad 2 for all but the last stage, which was on time. Great management with that many shooters. Trying to talk my crew into trying the Pro match next year.

I left a Leupold neoprene scope cover on the RO table of AM-3 If some one found it I would pay-pal you a few bucks to mail it to me. I know it isn't something big but I wouldn't mind having it back.

I had a great match and had the pleasure of shooting on the same squad as the overall winner! I learned a thing or two just seeing him shoot.

Thank you Linda! I know you put in a lot of time and effort to make these matches happen.

Why was the decision made for a 100% random draw after the shooting started and not told to the competitors beforehand?

Why was the decision made for a 100% random draw after the shooting started and not told to the competitors beforehand?

I don't think it was announced either way until the draw.

it was very clear way before the match....i know this because i made a decision to shoot pro as a result of the random draw.....i have NO luck......i thought it was prudent to use merit........i did not do so well. maybe should have tried my luck.....lol!

the only thing i thought was lacking was more, farther, long range steel. we should use rockcastle's facility to the max......lets see WAY more 300, 400, and 500 yard rifle targets.

thanks to the sponsors and all others that put on the match.

Edited by eddiegunks

I don't think it was announced either way until the draw.

it was very clear way before the match....i know this because i made a decision to shoot pro as a result of the random draw.....i have NO luck......i thought it was prudent to use merit........i did not do so well. maybe should have tried my luck.....lol!

the only thing i thought was lacking was more, farther, long range steel. we should use rockcastle's facility to the max......lets see WAY more 300, 400, and 500 yard rifle targets.

thanks to the sponsors and all others that put on the match.

You gotta be kidding! I could barely see those worn out gong things they called steel at 250. Holy target presentation batman!

Am stages should have targets at 200 yards max. Most shooters were struggling with the few we had at that distance and I missed everything beyond 140 yards with my 1x red dot. I knew I was handicapped with my scope going in. On the other hand, I hosed everything under 50 yards. I was there to have fun and shoot challenging stages which I did... I'll be there next year hoping the weather cooperates a bit.

My one suggestion regarding Am prize table is to publish the random drawing order 30 minutes prior. Then call the shooters by name and number. This way you don't have to stand there for two hours with no clue when/if you'll be called. This relieves tension and allows for unhurried bathroom breaks,

Frank A.

Am stages should have targets at 200 yards max. Most shooters were struggling with the few we had at that distance and I missed everything beyond 140 yards with my 1x red dot. I knew I was handicapped with my scope going in. On the other hand, I hosed everything under 50 yards. I was there to have fun and shoot challenging stages which I did... I'll be there next year hoping the weather cooperates a bit.

My one suggestion regarding Am prize table is to publish the random drawing order 30 minutes prior. Then call the shooters by name and number. This way you don't have to stand there for two hours with no clue when/if you'll be called. This relieves tension and allows for unhurried bathroom breaks,

Frank A.

That is a great idea!

That is the best idea I've heard yet on the prize table. That way if you are in the 200's you don't have to wait until 12:05am to to get your stickers. Why don't we have the table before dinner like the 1st year to get people on the road. Those running the table appeared awfully anxious for us to get out of there.

That is the best idea I've heard yet on the prize table. That way if you are in the 200's you don't have to wait until 12:05am to to get your stickers. Why don't we have the table before dinner like the 1st year to get people on the road. Those running the table appeared awfully anxious for us to get out of there.

Because some of us were still running shooters at 7:00PM. In truth, I think the wait would have been more festive and social had the weather cooperated. It's a huge match, considering everything, I still think it went pretty well.