Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they could have explained that I guess. I don't know I didn't have any issues. Few stages the steel was a little dark but I found them...all but that single on cowboy town. Killed a decent run but it wasn't for lack of paint.

The reason steel couldn't be painted in Thunder valley was that they were running multiple stages, all shooting in the same direction. To have painted it (safely) they would have had to stop all of those stages from shooting while someone is downrange painting.

The wide open targets in Thunder Valley were pretty easy to find regardless of paint or lack thereof.

I'm talking about the actual plate though. A couple of times it all looked like one grey mass inside the target stand, and I just had to base my holds on the approximate middle of the box.

Pith helmet, Kevlar, and one of the thirty dozen people with a mini buggy :-). Kidding didn't think about logistics.

Well since John was the RM, I bitched about it to him. He gave me the explanation, probably with less condescension than I deserved.

That's cool, was looking for a JP booth or display...

DSG had some JP stuff on display. There was at least one top tier rifle manufacturer with a booth in the parking lot.... :)

I have to say that that match was a few cans of spray paint, colored backers of some sort in the woods, about 7 C-Zones, some flash cards, and about 20seconds on the part time for a few stages away from being a really fun match. As it was, it was a brutal beat down (the 106-108 heat index didn't help that at all). A huge thanks, and a major hats off, to all of the RO's and match staff who put up with that heat without getting every other squad off.

There were some very fun, fairly technical stages (would have been nice for a warning that the usual hosefest was going to be the opposite). The 10" slug plates at 58 were fairly ridiculous. Putting targets in the woods is pretty cool (like in Cowboy town) until they are fully in the shade and haven't been painted and the shooter is forced to throw a few rounds in the opening of the woods so that nobody can say that that that target/those targets weren't engaged...

Thanks to all of the hard work from everyone associated with the match. I know that a lot of the not painting was related to the target position and getting those targets where they were wasn't really easy work. Set up and tear down for a match this size is a huge undertaking. The match was ridiculously well run administratively. As far as the time of the prize table goes in relation to the scores being posted... setting up a prize table and having all of the "piles" set up and put out is a LOT of work. It takes a long time.

Yes, it was an awesome prize table both nights!! Thanks to all the sponsors for their support of the shooting sports. Remember to support the sponsors that supported our shooting sports at the Brownells ProAm. I don't think I have ever seen so many sponsors or vendor displays at a match before. Brownells the title sponsor was well represented. I spoke or had contact with several folks wearing the Brownells colors. They represented themselves, Brownells and the shooting sports in a professional matter.

All the ROs were great to work with. They had long hot days, some without stopping for lunch, and still gave that extra effort that makes a difference. Most of the squads finished early or on time all three days. The Pro ROs worked an extra squad on Saturday so the match could finish early on Sunday. The credit goes to the ROs. The RMs and stats people were the best I have ever worked with. That says a bunch considering the excellent people I've had the privilege of working with over the years (I hope my wife doesn't see this post). The work list includes 5 ProAm, 7 KYMGs, area matches, state champs, and hundreds of club matches. I support the staff 110 percent and would be happy to work with them again sometime in the future.

99.9 percent of the shooters were great to speak with, excited to shoot the match, and their interest/agenda was what was best for the match/shooting sports. The only serious face to face match compliant I received , other than the stages being too hard, was the kind young lady who was concerned the ROs on Am3 did not have a shade cover on Friday. They had one on Saturday as ROs from another stage found one and set it up for them.

It takes a good team working together for months to put a major match together. We are not finished yet. I'll be seeing the fine folks at Rockcastle soon for debrief and am excited to hear their plans for the future.

Awesome match Gary! Thanks to the Nobles, Linda Chico and stats group, and all the awesome RO's and staff who worked very hard to put on a top notch event. Can't wait until the next one!

Trey

Edited by Headworked

Yes, it was an awesome prize table both nights!! Thanks to all the sponsors for their support of the shooting sports. Remember to support the sponsors that supported our shooting sports at the Brownells ProAm. I don't think I have ever seen so many sponsors or vendor displays at a match before. Brownells the title sponsor was well represented. I spoke or had contact with several folks wearing the Brownells colors. They represented themselves, Brownells and the shooting sports in a professional matter.

All the ROs were great to work with. They had long hot days, some without stopping for lunch, and still gave that extra effort that makes a difference. Most of the squads finished early or on time all three days. The Pro ROs worked an extra squad on Saturday so the match could finish early on Sunday. The credit goes to the ROs. The RMs and stats people were the best I have ever worked with. That says a bunch considering the excellent people I've had the privilege of working with over the years (I hope my wife doesn't see this post). The work list includes 5 ProAm, 7 KYMGs, area matches, state champs, and hundreds of club matches. I support the staff 110 percent and would be happy to work with them again sometime in the future.

99.9 percent of the shooters were great to speak with, excited to shoot the match, and their interest/agenda was what was best for the match/shooting sports. The only serious face to face match compliant I received , other than the stages being too hard, was the kind young lady who was concerned the ROs on Am3 did not have a shade cover on Friday. They had one on Saturday as ROs from another stage found one and set it up for them.

It takes a good team working together for months to put a major match together. We are not finished yet. I'll be seeing the fine folks at Rockcastle soon for debrief and am excited to hear their plans for the future.

Nothing has compared to year one on prize table and vendor tents. That first year was crazy! I wish it was like that every year. I picked up a bushmaster ACR in fifth place and there were still a half dozen $2000 prizes after me. Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Nothing has compared to year one on prize table and vendor tents. That first year was crazy! I wish it was like that every year. I picked up a bushmaster ACR in fifth place and there were still a half dozen $2000 prizes after me.

+ 1 on that. Also there was ~ 100 fewer shooters going to the prize table that first year.