Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remooning tool: TK Custom or moonclip?

21 shooter

I have decided remooning by hand for my 625 JM is not the way to go. :surprise: I have been looking at the TK Custom http://www.tkcustom.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=120&cat=%2E45+acp+-+S%26W++Moon+Clip+Tool, along with those nice but expensive moonclips, and the moon clip tool http://www.mooncliptool.com/. i have searched a bit but did not find anything recent on these although I'm sure there are some threads here that address my questions. Suggestions and advice are welcomed. Also a good place to purchase these would be a great help.

The BMT does look nice, and a lot faster loading or unloading. Anyone know of a fire sale on these? LOL. Carmoney, I am going to take your advice on the moonclips. I am using some of them now, and wondered if an $8 moonclip was going to benefit me since I'm a long ways from the Master level. Or most of the others come to think of it. :Loading by hand might have been okay 20 years ago but it just ain't fun anymore.

I think what Mike is saying is that the Ranch clips are a lot easier to load by hand. I didn't mean to imply the BMT tools isn't worth it. It is my personal opinion that for the bulk clips like Ranch, Scherer etc it may be overkill. If you want I can send you a Ranch .45 clip for you to try. For .38 8 shots I think the BMT tool is the bees knees I wouldn't want to load without one.

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

They are both pretty much the same thing, go with whoever you feel like supporting.

Also, to chime in with everybody else - go with the basic cheap ranch clips for your 625, I bought an expensive set of the TK customs moonclips and they load just the same as the cheap stamped ranch clips.

for unloading, I made a little unloading tool thingamabob out of some 1/2 copper tubing, it works great and is tons better then using the dogbone at the end of the loading tool.

8407742846_68d4246e9e_c.jpg

8406650323_b17aaf4ec9_c.jpg

Just for unloading I really like the Super Demooner because it's fast. I'm on my second one. The first one broke where the handle pins into the central body part.

http://item.brownells.com/categories/california-comp-works-speedloaders-accessories/super-demooner.htm

Edited by toothguy

I think what Mike is saying is that the Ranch clips are a lot easier to load by hand. I didn't mean to imply the BMT tools isn't worth it. It is my personal opinion that for the bulk clips like Ranch, Scherer etc it may be overkill. If you want I can send you a Ranch .45 clip for you to try. For .38 8 shots I think the BMT tool is the bees knees I wouldn't want to load without one.

Lee

Thanks for the offer. I have a few Ranch clips I've been working with and I like them. I was looking at the TK clips as a possibility for competition if they offered an advantage.

I believe I am going to get the BMT. I watched a video of one being used in 45 ACP and it was fast. It costs more but I believe you get more. Does anyone sell them or is it better to order from the maker? Thanks to all for the quick response and advice. This a great site with so many knowledgeable shooters.

I believe I am going to get the BMT. I watched a video of one being used in 45 ACP and it was fast. It costs more but I believe you get more. Does anyone sell them or is it better to order from the maker? Thanks to all for the quick response and advice. This a great site with so many knowledgeable shooters.

The maker is the only place I was able to find it. I bought one and love it. Mrs Jones even thinks it's cool and uses it to load my moon clips. It's not cheap but for me it was money well spent.

• 4 weeks later...

Love the BMT mooner! But save your money and go with Ranch Moonclips for .45acp

I am in agreement. The bmt for rimmed like 38 spec is awesome. I have the one for 45's and its not quite as easy to use...

Use your fingers to load your moonclips with .45 acp. Hold the pad of your thumb on the rim of the cartridge opposite the opening of the moonclip. Hold the lower part of the pad of your index finger on the other side of the carridge opposite the thumb. The side of your index finger should just touch the side of the moonclip. Rotate the cartrige between your thumb and index finger as you apply light inward pressure with the pad of your thumb. Rotating the cartridge counter-clockwise as you push is what makes it easy.

I can load a moonclip this way in about 12 -15 seconds if I don't hurry.

Chris

Use your fingers to load your moonclips with .45 acp. Hold the pad of your thumb on the rim of the cartridge opposite the opening of the moonclip. Hold the lower part of the pad of your index finger on the other side of the carridge opposite the thumb. The side of your index finger should just touch the side of the moonclip. Rotate the cartrige between your thumb and index finger as you apply light inward pressure with the pad of your thumb. Rotating the cartridge counter-clockwise as you push is what makes it easy.

I can load a moonclip this way in about 12 -15 seconds if I don't hurry.

Chris

Possible ? Sure

Practical ? No

work smarter not harder

15 seconds and the thumb does get sore.

I keep a TK Moonsetter in the shooting bag for the 44/45 and one of those pipe tubes to demoon. The 38 won't work with the moonsetter though.

CCW had a moonsetting tool that you put 6 in and it looked like a crown, could do a moon clip in under 5 seconds and didn't tear my thumb/fingers up. And their demooner works real quick. But again the 8 shot moon clips take something else.

For the 8 shot especially with Heartcho Clips, the BMT works great for both. I make sure to have enough for any match 2x's over so I don't have to work with moon clips at a match.