Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Both IDPA and USPSA

mhoosier

Lol

I'm in that boat... no answers for you, just a cop-out. I decided that I prefer USPSA, and I'm shooting IDPA as practice, so I just shoot IDPA as if it were USPSA with vests, and I take 500 hours of penalties per stage. Don't care about the results (not like I'm a threat to dominate anyways); I'm there to improve action pistol shooting skills (draw, reload, shoot while moving, etc) so the practice is still valid.

Haha. I used to be decent at Idpa but not that I like uspsa so much I'm guaranteed a crazy fast first stage in every Idpa match with like 17 ones and a moving reload (proc) and have to go to the safe area to check and make sure I actually have a freakin front sight!

It just isn't an issue for me. For either game I come up with a stage plan, burn it in and execute. The stage plan includes what kinds of reloads and where they are going to happen. I suppose if I were to just wing it at an IDPA match after shooting a bunch of USPSA I might pick up a procedural but I try not to ever wing a stage so that isn't really an issue.

It just isn't an issue for me. For either game I come up with a stage plan, burn it in and execute. The stage plan includes what kinds of reloads and where they are going to happen. I suppose if I were to just wing it at an IDPA match after shooting a bunch of USPSA I might pick up a procedural but I try not to ever wing a stage so that isn't really an issue.

Very nice!

+1

I plan each stage and execute. Shooting both keeps me thinking.

I tried IDPA about 8 years ago - couldn't do it :sick:

I kept dropping my mags when it seemed like a good idea. :ph34r:

Had to give up one - so I dropped IDPA. :closedeyes:

If you can switch back and forth, or just ignore the rules and shoot both, do it - I couldn't. :cheers:

I shoot both but Wurm hit nail on the head. I have a different mindset when I don the fishing vest. Ever since shooting USPSA, I visualize my slide lock reloads and plan a lot more reloads with retention.

Wurm said it well, indeed.

If one puts some thought into it, planning stages for the two different disciplines holds the potential to provide a shooter with different strategies that can sometimes be applied across IDPA and USPSA.

I've found that keeping an open mind while searching for the best stage strategy when shooting one of the disciplines sometimes allows me to think of approaches that might not have occurred to me with a singular focus on only one of the disciplines.

Just use cover and do the stupid flat-footed slide lock reload all the time.

Sad fact is in my area the IDPA matches are closer and outnumber the USPSA matches. I have made a few friends shooting IDPA. And they are the main reason I keep going.

I shoot both and find the best way is to have a strong physical and mental cue for myself before each COF. I do one thing for idpa and a different for uspsa. I connect each action and mental statement with its corresponding rule set.

Self programming. That and serious mental imagery and rehearsal of what I'm about to do.

I have not made a big mistake doing it this way. Well a big mistake in confusing myself in how I run the stage. I make lots of other mistakes......

The hardest part is switching from winning or placing very highly in IDPA to finishing middle-of-the-pack in USPSA. For some reason, the majority of the really good shooters around here eventually lose interest in IDPA.

I don't have any trouble keeping the rules straight, I just program them into my stage plan.

Edited by motosapiens

I had been shooting USPSA for 15+ years before IDPA came along. The most difficult thing for me was/is not retaining a mag with ammo in it on a mag change. I've caught myself a number of times and had to stoop and pick it up before my next shot. Hurts these oooooold knees worse than it hurts my score! LOL As mentioned above get a plan in your mind and stick with it as much as possible....especially reloading and cover.

Richard

Do ZERO comapre-contrast. If you're shooting idpa then don't sit there thinking, "oh, if this was uspsa i'd.....". 'Cause then you're putting the wrong stuff in your mind. Think only about the task and or rule set at hand.

Like I said, I do a different pre-COF ritual for each of them so that it helps me to separate them both physically and mentally.

Also, if you want you should highlight what you feel are the important chapters in each game's rule book and reread them the night before you go shoot it, that way things will be fresh in your mind. This will take 5 minutes but will be a good refresher for you.

I dont know. a lot of gun handling is done at the sub con I dont have to think my way thru a reload

it just happens hence a procedural in idpa

I don't think through a reload either, at least not while I'm actually shooting. I do however plan which kind of reload I'm going to do and where it is going to happen. In USPSA it is usually fire eight rounds, speed reload while moving to the next position, fire eight more rounds, repeat. An IDPA stage plan will usually be either fire 11 rounds, slide lock reload in the middle of engaging the 6th target, finish stage or fire some number of rounds less than 11, reload with retention, finish stage.

Funnily enough I have had some issues switching between Production and Open. I have shot Production almost exclusively in USPSA until recently I picked up an open gun to play with. If I don't really work at programming the stage, my hand will sometimes subconsciously break from the grip when moving between positions like I'm going to reload. It usually happens when before my run I talk with my Production shooting buddies and point out how I'd run the stage if I were them. It is a good reminder that you really have to take stage prep seriously to do really well in this game.

Don't get me wrong. It took work to be able to play both games without having problems switching. I started shooting IDPA before I ventured over to USPSA. Early on in USPSA I would occasionally try and catch a half full mag during a reload until I realized what game I was playing. Back then I only had two reloads at that subconscious level, the slide lock reload and the reload with retention. It took time to really ingrain in a speed reload so I didn't have to think about it anymore.

Just shoot both and be safe... I shoot both USPSA and IDPA with friends and it never fails for me to get a procedural on the reloads for IDPA (According to RO, in IDPA I am not allowed to do reload on the move, EVEN IF moving behind cover...)

Also, do not point at target at IDPA to count - got yelled at for "air gunning"....

Yea that rule is as stupid as expelling kids from school for pointing their fingers and thumb like a gun. Why on earth do they care if you point at a target with your finger?

I'll be shooting an IDPA match next month when my brother is visiting. Due to time constraints, that's the best choice. He has it down, but I'm thinking shoot it like USPSA, what's a few procedurals. :goof:

I know, maybe I should start wearing my vest for USPSA :-) Just kidding, I think the mental game advice is really the ticket. I tend to almost over relax when I get to IDPA, I keep score, run the timer, etc. I think if I paid more attention to shooting the match, like I do in USPSA and Steel, I'd be fine.